What is the opposite of love?

You can have intimacy.....without love.
You mean like "hate sex?"

no

you can have sex...and be very intimate with someone... and not love them. Most men would understand that concept. :lol:

Being "intimate" also does not always mean sex. It means knowing someone down to their very last cell... their inner most thoughts... understanding them better then they understand themselves..... and for all of that.... intimacy..... you can still not love them.

you dont have to have love... to have intimacy.

Love involves caring for and identifying with someone or something else, and placing value on them. You can't have love without intimacy.

Right you can fuck and be detached...we get it. That is neither love or fear.

That was not the question the OP posed. You can not have love without intimacy. Fear is the avoidance of intimacy.

Love involves caring for and identifying with someone or something else, and placing value on them. You can't have love without intimacy.

That was not the question the OP posed. You can not have love without intimacy. Fear is the avoidance of intimacy.

sure you can have love without intimacy.... I love the stars in the sky... no need for intimacy...or fucking.

Love, when considered pleasurable can be a form of fear, frisson. One opposite of love is invidia, but that is...inane. One can love another individual, or love to enervate, provoke, or destroy some other. Love is its own synonym and antonym. Love is the definition and opposite of itself. That is your answer.

Last edited:

You can love someone you are not intimate with and avoidance of intimacy may be due to other factors besides fear, but that was not the question the OP posed either... :lol:

sure you can have love without intimacy.... I love the stars in the sky... no need for intimacy...or fucking.

I love chocolate but I am afraid of a double-wide ass! :lol:

Can't love the stars if you have no curiosity and are unconcerned,disinterested and show them no regard. Which = indifference and detachment.

Can't love the stars if you have no curiosity and are unconcerned,disinterested and show them no regard. Which = indifference and detachment.

Sure you can.....

not everyone lives in the shadow.

Intimacy is one of the ways love manifests.

Exactly. Indifference to me is a non emotion. It's not the polar opposite. Fear is the act of physically avoiding being intimate. While love is the desire to become intimate.

You can love someone you are not intimate with and avoidance of intimacy may be due to other factors besides fear, but that was not the question the OP posed either... :lol:

You have to be intimate with them on some level or you wouldn't have a relationship. Fear could also be a root cause of those other factors since it is usually linked to our basic survival instincts.

What is the opposite of love?

Simple................................................

It's selfishness.

Love looks out for those other than itself, and helps out where it can, as well as shares what it has with those that have less.

Selfishness does the exact opposite..........................

Selfishness leads to looking out for number one at the expense of everyone else, won't help unless they are sure to make some kind of gain out of it, and thinks that they deserve things because they only care about themselves.

Me? I like to share. If I see someone on the street and they look like they could use some help? Well..............I've got cash coming in, so I can spare a couple of bucks.

Besides..................you can never build up too much good Karma.

This has been an interesting thread so far and everyone has conducted her/himself very well. It only seems that we need to examine more closely the function of our language and thinking. There have been many words and concepts tossed around here that I see intelligent people using without sound understanding.

Example: clearly, the general population on earth does not fully comprehend the concept of 'God'. Some believe and some disbelieve for entirely the wrong reasons. One reason is indeed that people are afraid of the Deity and offending, so they conduct their life as with a parent who might punish them at any moment for an infraction. That is not a very satisfying motive in the context of what human understanding can be. It certainly demonstrates a lack in one's definition of what the Author of All would necessarily be (if such exists).

Love for someone or something absolutely entails secondary gain; i.e., there is a reward in loving felt by the 'lover'. My love for my lady is rewarding in its self, so I cannot claim altruism, and in fact that very term has always been suspect for me. We do something for our self, even to the point of dying for another. If I really love someone, I could not live thinking I had sacrificed her/him just to preserve my own safety.

So, we do anything because somehow it fits into our 'comfort zone'. Unfortunately, that 'zone' may have been conditioned by our environment more than by our full choice ('brainwashing', if you will). Thus, a large group can be herded by a few people in 'authority' because we are taught all our lives to respect and obey. We feel more 'at ease' conforming than standing out and resisting.

Our language and words are powerful tools, but tools have limits. A hammer can be used for many things, but has no place in the tool kit for repairing computers. We forget how dependent we are on our tongue in order to use our brain. Our thoughts are formed in words, yet that is not how the brain functions before we learn to speak.

The more we penetrate into our vocabulary, the more we can realize and be freed from the bounds and tethers it implies. It is great that our minds can meet by the means of speaking and writing, but if our words are poorly understood, what quality of exchange can we truly expect?

Last edited:

Sure you can.....

Can shadows love? They always seem so sneaky and unlovable. :lol:

Diane: The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

Sam: I don't care.

Indifference is an ending not a beginning...an outcome...learned. Love and fear are spontaneous.

You can both love and fear something for no reason.

Sure you can.....

Can shadows love? They always seem so sneaky and unlovable. :lol:

shadows seem to love the light...... but never quite seem to make it there to bask in themselves.

Forum List

Back