What is the one book you would want

stoor

Rookie
Nov 9, 2004
everyone to read in the area of religion/ethics? Please refrain from answering with the Holy Book of your personal religion.

stoor said:
everyone to read in the area of religion/ethics? Please refrain from answering with the Holy Book of your personal religion.

"Through the Vally of the Kwai" Earnest Gordon. True story by a survivor of a Japanese POW camp. It's an excellent book on understanding faith.

stoor said:

so long and thanks for all the fish, douglas adams

Said1 said:
What's it about - roughly?

Douglas Adams wrote the "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series and that's what the dolphins all said during their exodus just moments before the Earth was destroyed. I haven't read that book yet, but that outta give you an idea.

Oh, and my book is "The Screwtape Letters." by C.S. Lewis.

Hobbit said:
Douglas Adams wrote the "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series and that's what the dolphins all said during their exodus just moments before the Earth was destroyed. I haven't read that book yet, but that outta give you an idea.

Yes, the "Hitchiker's Guide". Haven't read it either. What's your pick about?

Hobbit said:

stilllife with woodpecker was fun as well

screwtape letters was toooooooooo self indulgent for my tastes

have you read the five people you meet when you get to heaven?

Said1 said:
Yes, the "Hitchiker's Guide". Haven't read it either. What's your pick about?

The Screwtape Letters is supposed to be a series of letters written to a rising demon by an experienced one about how to tempt people.

Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

Well...the subtitle is "What on earth am I here for?" and it attempts to answer that question from a Christian perspective. Should be required reading for every Christian, and those with questions about Christianity. Not preachy, not overly self-helpish.
I actually bought this for my mother for Christmas.

Forum List

Back