What is the oldest appliance that you own?

It's old but I have no idea how old and can't recall the brand name on it now but it's a reel-to-reel recorder that instead of tape records onto a very thin wire.

WHOA. I want it. That was the original method before tape was developed.

I'm still kicking myself to this day that I didn't pick up a wire recorder made in Germany in the 1930s that I saw in a thrift store. I thought their price was too high.

I don't have it anymore, but I once got an old GE washing machine for $25 from a coworker doing a complete redo of her laundry room. I used it for seven years and when I moved, I sold it for $25. Still working great.

My brother and I had a Christmas tradition for a while where we'd present each other with a gift of some old piece of electronic equipment out of the trash that was complete junk and had no chance of rehabilitation, as a joke. One year he gave me a Montgomery Ward brand reel-to-reel that actually went backwards --- right to left. :eek:

I shoulda kept it, but these things do take up space.

I have a Agfa box camera from the 50s I used a few times back in the 60s. Oldest appliance would be my dishwasher from '97. I upgraded everything else but do you think this noisy bastard would die? I'm probably going to have to drag it outside and shoot it someday.

I have several appliances from the 50's.

A GE oscillating fan.

A Voice of Music reel to reel tape recorder/50 watt amplifier. I use it as a guitar amp.

I have 2 GE refridgerators from the 1950s. They still work great. I use one of them to dry age beef and the other one to age cheese.

All them still work great because they were made before the era of planned obsolescense.

What sort of modifications, if any, did you make to the fridge for effective dry-aging of beef? I've been looking at doing this but don't actually know anyone that's done it effectively.

It's old but I have no idea how old and can't recall the brand name on it now but it's a reel-to-reel recorder that instead of tape records onto a very thin wire.

I'm still kicking myself to this day that I didn't pick up a wire recorder made in Germany in the 1930s that I saw in a thrift store. I thought their price was too high.

It's at our vacation place so can't check it out now but since I posted about it earlier the names Webco and Webcor(e?) keep coming to mind.

It's at our vacation place so can't check it out now but since I posted about it earlier the names Webco and Webcor(e?) keep coming to mind.

Webcor. Assembled from "Webster Chicago Corporation".

Let me know if you want to sell it, if it happens to be somewhere I can get to.

Pogo post: 14111215 said:

Thanks, but it's a keeper. Sorry.

A GE oscillating fan.

A Voice of Music reel to reel tape recorder/50 watt amplifier. I use it as a guitar amp.

I have 2 GE refridgerators from the 1950s. They still work great. I use one of them to dry age beef and the other one to age cheese.

All them still work great because they were made before the era of planned obsolescense.

What sort of modifications, if any, did you make to the fridge for effective dry-aging of beef? I've been looking at doing this but don't actually know anyone that's done it effectively.
I'm sorry, but I won't post that for the same reason I won't post how to modify an amplifier or make fireworks.

I don't think cameras are appliances.

I had a 30 year toaster that I threw away because I was afraid of it last year.

My refrigerator came with the house, and I don't know exactly how old it is, but I'd venture a guess that it's about 25 years old.

Pogo post: 14111215 said:

Thanks, but it's a keeper. Sorry.

I don't blame you. I'd say the same thing.

And that pantalooned duck
White goose neck quacked,
"Webcor, Webcor"
---- Captain Beefheart, "Golden Birdies" (1972)​

I have a dehumidifier in the basement that was there when we moved in back in 1982.

Still going strong.

A GE oscillating fan.

I'm sorry, but I won't post that for the same reason I won't post how to modify an amplifier or make fireworks.

Because you want all the good stuff for yourself?

posting a general, "I did, this or that", such as "I cut a hole in the side and stuck a fan in it" wouldn't be exposing you to liability.

I'd never come across someone that had actually done this successfully, and was just looking for general pointers.

nevermind, it's not that big a deal.....

Oh, I just remembered that I have an old food processor that my ex's mom gave me when she got a new one. That thing is SOOO old. It's called a "La Machine", but it still works good. Lol. :D

Yeah, this is definitely the oldest appliance that I own.

SDG_9976.jpg

Forum List

Back