What is the nature of anti-polygamy laws?

All I am saying is that I would admit it if I had made the mistakes you made above. You just showed on another thread that you are capable of better debate than you have displayed in this thread.

Huh? Read this part of your article - "All 50 states have statutes against bigamy (multiple licensed marriages). In most states, bigamy is a felony."

The original post dealt with polygamy. I was responding on that topic. There are no polygamy laws per se on the books in my state. Bigamy is generally thought of as a man with two wives; a polygamist is generally thought of as a man with many wives. There is a difference in the meaning of the two words or we would not have the separate words “bigamy” and “polygamy”. While they are similar in meaning, they do not mean the same thing, just as the words “smile” and “laugh” and "valley" and "glen" do not mean exactly the same thing.

No I am not. An unconstitutional law is not a law at all. Or are you saying laws can be passed outlawing gay sex again?

Bigamy is legally marrying 2 or more people. Polygamy is having 2 or more women ( or men ) as your partners. Two distinct separate things.

Now where is Larkinn to explain to us all how words have meanings?

Um...."bi" means TWO. Bigamy means two marriages. The second you go to three marriages you're a polygamist. "poly" meaning MANY. :eusa_whistle:

There is no law against cohabitation with as many women as a man choses to do so. No law against out of marriage child birth. So long as a man does not seek State sanction on more than one marriage he is free to live with whom ever he pleases in any number he pleases and have sex with and support as many people as he is able and willing to do so.

So under this doctrine, the South had the LEGAL right to secede from the Union. It's amazing how attitude and fact changes with the topic. :eusa_think: :cuckoo:

So under this doctrine, the South had the LEGAL right to secede from the Union. It's amazing how attitude and fact changes with the topic. :eusa_think: :cuckoo:

:rofl:

I've said it before I'll say it again, hypocrisy is an artform to RetardedGaySgt.

And how old does a girl have to be to get married with her parents' consent in Texas? I don't think it's very old.

A minor 16 years or older can get married with their parent's consent to the state ...and to apply for the marriage licence the child must provide a BIRTH CERTIFICATE for proof of age.,,,which these girls do not have...CONVENIENTLY of course! Denying these children their birth certificates is a real problem, I agree.... and if they ever were to leave the compound they would not be able to get bank accounts, they can not vote, they can not travel from state to state....real id is here!!!!

They are held captive for the rest of their lives Allie....please think about this long and hard....they are HELD CAPTIVE.

if the child is between the ages of 14-16 in the state of texas and they want to marry they can not be married without a court approval...a Judge will decide on whether to emancipate the child, so to allow marriage or give approval to marriage or they will deny such marriage....the parent's permission by law is NOT acceptable, ONLY a State judge can make the decision.

most states ALSO have a law regarding the age difference, when involved with a minor and i am trying to confirm that Texas is one of them....in this law, a minor between 16 and 18 that wants to marry someone that is 10 years older than them, it takes a Court order to do such, NOT JUST the permission of the parents, but the permission of the State.

care

They are allegedly held captive, based upon the testimony of one disgruntled ex-member, who bailed YEARS ago.

I don't have a problem with alternative lifestyles. I don't have a problem with an investigation into the situation. I DO have a problem with strong-arming women and children who have never been charged with ANYTHING on a flimsy excuse, and separating children from their families, based on nothing but righteous indignation that girls are getting knocked up at a young age.

When I get indignant over girls getting knocked up, you can hear the jeering from this site a mile away.

The double standard floors me, though I've always known it was there. And the blatancy of the hypocrisy floors me even more.

No I am not. An unconstitutional law is not a law at all. Or are you saying laws can be passed outlawing gay sex again?

Bigamy is legally marrying 2 or more people. Polygamy is having 2 or more women ( or men ) as your partners. Two distinct separate things.

Now where is Larkinn to explain to us all how words have meanings?

Wait, now suddenly you want me to back you up on how words all have meaning?

After you decided, for months, to bash me because I'm "semantical"?

Go eat shit, hypocrite. You don't get to change your mind on an issue just because it supports your pov now. Remember this next time I try to clarify your retarded terms.

My understanding might be wrong... Dogger, you can correct me if that's the case.

Doesn't "bigamy" usually describe a situation where a man has two wives, but neither woman is aware of the other? And "polygamy" refers to plural marriages, where a man lives with many wives, but the arrangement is voluntary and endorsed by the FLDS community?

It seems to me that bigamy would be the worse offense, given the deceit... that being said, I don't know how (or if) the laws are written to distinguish between the two.

The original post dealt with polygamy. I was responding on that topic. There are no polygamy laws per se on the books in my state. Bigamy is generally thought of as a man with two wives; a polygamist is generally thought of as a man with many wives. There is a difference in the meaning of the two words or we would not have the separate words “bigamy” and “polygamy”. While they are similar in meaning, they do not mean the same thing, just as the words “smile” and “laugh” and "valley" and "glen" do not mean exactly the same thing.

But you are still wrong. You were talking about laws banning the practice of polygamy when you wrote, "We don't have laws on the books against polygamy in our state." Do you think a bigamist with two wives is no longer in trouble when he takes a third or subsequent wife?

Your state labels the crime "bigamy", and your state's bigamy law will cover what you regard as polygamy. Name the state, and I'll show you. Sometimes, two words mean exactly the same thing.

And polygamy can mean a legal marriage of one person to two spouses (unbeknownst to to the state) OR it can mean more than the 1:1 ration of spouses LIVING as if they're married.

My understanding might be wrong... Dogger, you can correct me if that's the case.

Doesn't "bigamy" usually describe a situation where a man has two wives, but neither woman is aware of the other? And "polygamy" refers to plural marriages, where a man lives with many wives, but the arrangement is voluntary and endorsed by the FLDS community?

It seems to me that bigamy would be the worse offense, given the deceit... that being said, I don't know how (or if) the laws are written to distinguish between the two.
Legally, bigamy is the name of the crime that is committed by the knowing practice of polygamy (having 2 or more spouses). I have seen some sources that say the first means 2 spouses and the latter means 3 or more, but the actual difference is that "polygamy" is defined as a "practice" while "bigamy" is defined as a "criminal offense".

If a woman (for example) doesn't know the man has another wife, and marries him, he has committed a crime while she has not. The statutes I quoted above require knowledge, as do the others. Technically, though, her marriage would be deemed bigamous and legally invalid, which has other legal consequences. If the man died, only the first wife would have the legal rights of a spouse.

Forum List

Back