What is the motto for your state?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
Official State Mottoes from NETSTATE

Mine? California - Eureka, I have found it!

*I think it was the illegal aliens, from Mexico, that said that a couple of years ago. Why? Because we took California away from them when it became a part of the US as a result of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo signed on February 2, 1848 ending the Mexican American War.

And NOW they are trying to take it back, by not leaving? :wtf: They just don't get it! We won! We get to keep it! :woohoo:

Union, Justice, Confidence
louisiana-flag.jpg

(By the way, the flag's image is totally a riff off of the Pelican in her Piety, an image - used in the medieval Europe to symbolize Christ - of a mother pelican engaged in the (purely) legendary pracitce of piercing her own breast to feed her young with her blood in the absence of food. Catholic much? Here's a hint: we don't have counties, we have parishes.)

Union, Justice, Confidence
louisiana-flag.jpg

(By the way, the flag's image is totally a riff off of the Pelican in her Piety, an image - used in the medieval Europe to symbolize Christ - of a mother pelican engaged in the (purely) legendary pracitce of piercing her own breast to feed her young with her blood in the absence of food. Catholic much? Here's a hint: we don't have counties, we have parishes.)

And great music and great food :)

Saturday night and the moon is out
I wanna head on over to the Twist and Shout
Find a two-step partner and a Cajun beat
When it lifts me up I'm gonna find my feet
Out in the middle of a big dance floor
When I hear that fiddle wanna beg for more
Gonna dance to a band from a-Lou'sian' tonight

What was it before 1957 "We cain't think a-nothin'"? :lol:

But the new one is definitely an improvement over the one from 1957 to 1987 :D

Oregon State Motto Timeline

State Motto Timeline
1854 “She Flies With Her Own Wings”

1957 “The Union”

1987 “She Flies With Her Own Wings”

“She Flies with Her Own Wings” was adopted by the 1987 Legislature as the state motto. The phrase was written by Judge Jessie Quinn Thornton and translated into Latin for the territorial seal in 1854. “Alis Volat Propiis” is the Latin translation. Chapter 848, 1987 Oregon Laws, most clearly describes the events that led to the choice for the state’s motto in 1854.

“Relating to the state motto; amending ORS 186.040.

Whereas the spring of 1843 found the Oregon County politically unorganized and its inhabitants in disagreement over whether their future lay beneath the wing of Britain or that of the United States; and

Whereas on the second day of May in that year of 1843, the settlers of the Oregon Country gathered at the settlement of Champoeg and voted, by division of those present, to form a provisional government dependent upon neither Britain nor the United States, but dependent only upon the inherent political authority of its own people; and

Whereas the Oregon Territorial Legislature, on January 18, 1854, recognized this seminal event in the history of the Oregon Country by adopting as the motto of the Oregon Territory the Latin phrase, “Alis Volat Propiis,” which, in English, means “She flies with her own wings”; and

Whereas the motto appropriately reflected the independent character of the Oregon pioneer settlers who established their own government, …”

In 1957, the motto was changed to “The Union.” According to former Senate historian Cecil Edwards, “The Union” goes back to earlier years in Oregon when citizens “were torn over the issue of slavery.”1

Senate historian Cecil Edwards, Secretary of State Barbara Roberts and former state Senate President Jason Boe were the sponsors for the 1987 Senate Bill 1036 which proposed changing the motto back to “She Flies With Her Own Wings.” Supporters of the bill felt that “She Flies With Her Own Wings” reflected Oregon’s tradition of independence and innovation. Sen. Frank Roberts said that Oregon was the first in many areas including the bottle bill and the public beach access bill. In addition Oregon was the first in some national issues among which were providing for the recall of public officials in 1908, statewide voter registration in 1899 and the first celebration of Labor Day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.”Senate Historian Backs Gutsy Motto,” Statesman Journal, May 12, 1987, Page 4C

“She Flies With Her Own Wings; New Motto Describes the Oregon of Today,” Statesman Journal, June 22, 1987, Page 6A
“Senate Approves Reclaiming Motto.” Statesman Journal, May 28, 1987, Page 6C

I hope that explains it ;)

I like this one! :D It must have been the motto before the Clinton's were hatched! :rolleyes:

Arkansas - "The people rule"

pfffffft! Have I mentioned that I do not like Hillary? And I ain't all that crazy about Slick Willie, either! :udaman: NOT!!!!

LOL, probably since the Dems run the State. How ya doing ya old Victorian?

That hurt! :D

That REALLY hurt! :badgrin:

Over there in Victoria they have a motto on their number plates:

"Victoria - the State to Be"

I'm thinking....."the state to be what? Robbed, murdered, bilked out of your live savings..." And then I get to:

"Victoria - the State to Be - Dooby Dooby Dee..."

I'm irreverent. I think our state's motto should be:

"Dry? Dry? It's as bloody dry as a camel driver's jockstrap!"

Won't fit on the number plates though.

us-me-cm.gif

Dirigo
(I lead)​

Maine does lead, too.​

Maine leads in having the oldest population per capita in the U.S.A.​

Forum List

Back