What is the Jewish View of Jesus?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I understand that Jesus is not recognized as the Messiah but beyond that, what? As a Jewish Rabbi, are his teachings considered heretical? Is he considered a fraud? I understand the historical danger of addressing this issue, but even today I have been unable to get a reading on this. Is anyone able to enlighten me?

He is not their messiah. Jews do not have the concept of salvation. They do not believe in folks being born as sinners. Folks sin and can repent those sins and have them forgiven most of the time.
Makes a hell lot more sense than Christianity.
Not all ancient Jewish texts mention Jesus. Translations of the Talmud took to the 1200s to identify Jesus in there.
This is what started the persecution of the Jews as Christians just could not have another belief system of who Jesus was and what he represented.

He is not their messiah. Jews do not have the concept of salvation. They do not believe in folks being born as sinners. Folks sin and can repent those sins and have them forgiven most of the time.
Not all ancient Jewish texts mention Jesus. Translations of the Talmud took to the 1200s to identify Jesus in there.
This is what started the persecution of the Jews as Christians just could not have another belief system of who Jesus was and what he represented.

The Jews view Jesus the same way as Muslims do, not as messiah but as a prophet.

The Jews view Jesus the same way as Muslims do, not as messiah but as a prophet.

Similar but being that Jesus was a Jew a little differently. Muslim religion did not start until 600 years after Jesus' death.

The Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah. Since Jesus claimed to be the Messiah and to be God, the Jews would consider Jesus to be a false prophet and a blasphemer. They would not consider Jesus death on the cross as an act of sacrifice, but rather an act of justice. Remember the Jewish leaders of the day plotted to have him tried and executed, and carried this out under the approval of their Roman occupiers.

The Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah. Since Jesus claimed to be the Messiah and to be God, the Jews would consider Jesus to be a false prophet and a blasphemer. They would not consider Jesus death on the cross as an act of sacrifice, but rather an act of justice. Remember the Jewish leaders of the day plotted to have him tried and executed, and carried this out under the approval of their Roman occupiers.

No one knows if they wanted him executed but they did nothing to stop it. Jesus offered no defense at his "trial" so his death was a knowing and willing sacrifice. Before the cross Jerusalem was packed with Jews for Passover. Pilate and the Jewish rabbis wanted no trouble then and Pilate had approved Caiphas as the high priest that season. The Jewish leaders saw Jesus as a threat. Jesus did not call himself the messiah at first but the leaders saw the crowds that came, Mark 11:18, knew that they believed he was a great teacher and would be a threat to Jewish authority.
Jesus was the rebel of his times. He wanted no part of Jewish authority and their backward rules and regulations. Love thy neighbor is what Jesus preached, no exceptions.

Similar to many Christians today. Dare interpret the Old Testament and the old Jewish laws as not what Jesus stood for and one is labeled not Christian.
Same as with Jesus as the Jewish leaders of that day could not have their know it all authority questioned.

Where did I ever claim Jews saw Jesus as the messiah?

The belief in Jesus is actually a requirement for Muslims.
Like all prophets in Islam, Jesus is considered to have been a Muslim rejecting any Trinitarian argument.

Quite different than what Jews believed and now believe Jesus was.

I understand that Jesus is not recognized as the Messiah but beyond that, what? As a Jewish Rabbi, are his teachings considered heretical? Is he considered a fraud? I understand the historical danger of addressing this issue, but even today I have been unable to get a reading on this. Is anyone able to enlighten me?

I recommend this book on the subject, which I found an interesting read:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rabbi-Jesus-Biography-Bruce-Chilton/dp/0385497938/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356375699&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rabbi+jesus]Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography: Bruce Chilton: 9780385497930: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Rabbi-Jesus-Biography-Bruce-Chilton/dp/0385497938/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356375699&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rabbi+jesus]Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography: Bruce Chilton: 9780385497930: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Very good read but Jesus was not the typical rabbi of his day.
Love thy neighbor and thou shall not judge were not part of old Jewish laws.

Very good read but Jesus was not the typical rabbi of his day.
Love thy neighbor and thou shall not judge were not part of old Jewish laws.

That is my understanding as well.

Judaism's view of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Judaism's view of the Messiah differs substantially from the Christian idea of the Messiah. In the Jewish account, the Messiah's task is to bring in the Messianic age, a one-time event, and a presumed messiah who is killed before completing the task (i.e., compelling all of Israel to walk in the way of Torah, repairing the breaches in observance, fighting the wars of God, building the Temple in its place, gathering in the dispersed exiles of Israel) is not the Messiah. Maimonides states, "But if he did not succeed in all this or was killed, he is definitely not the Moshiach promised in the Torah... and God only appointed him in order to test the masses."[12]

/end thread

Last edited:

Forum List

Back