• 5,000,000 to 10,000,000 inhabitants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 10,000,000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
A small city has many conveniences: Lower crime rates, the posibility of walking to your job ( instead of using the car) less pollution. Nevertheless, the price is that some services might not be available ( a first class hospital , museums, college), depending on the city size.

Which do you think is the ideal size of a city?... and why ?

Last edited:
I chose <100,000
My city just hit the 101,000 mark and were about maxed out.

Big enough to have everything from big retailers to flea markets.
But still small enough for major crime problems

Well , I'v chosen 500,000 to 1,000,000. I've lived in large cities most of my life, I can hardly get used to anything smaller than 500,000.

I dont think commute is predicated on size of the city

It can be. One of the advantages of a physically small city is that there's no place in it that's an extreme inconvenience to get to. I appreciated that when I moved to New Orleans, having lived in Philly which is many times bigger. Living away from downtown and commuting there took literally half the time, or even less.

Nearest city to me is Asheville, which is in the 100k range, considerably smaller than NOLA. Big enough to have "everything" in cultural terms, yet compact without being condensed and a quick short drive to the rustic. If one had to live in a city, that's perfect. As the saying goes about something else, more than a mouthful is a waste.

Of course the ideal is not having to live in any city at all.

It can be. One of the advantages of a physically small city is that there's no place in it that's an extreme inconvenience to get to. I appreciated that when I moved to New Orleans, having lived in Philly which is many times bigger. Living away from downtown and commuting there took literally half the time, or even less.

Nearest city to me is Asheville, which is in the 100k range, considerably smaller than NOLA. Big enough to have "everything" in cultural terms, yet compact without being condensed and a quick short drive to the rustic. If one had to live in a city, that's perfect. As the saying goes about something else, more than a mouthful is a waste.

You still chose your commute. I live in 4th ring burb and drive one mile to work and am at the highest paying job of my career.

You still chose your commute. I live in 4th ring burb and drive one mile to work and am at the highest paying job of my career.

How much one's job pays is irrelevant -- the point remains, if you're in an outer ring and you need to go downtown, a bigger city is far more of a pain in the ass to get there than a smaller one.

When I decided to move to NOLA I had also considered Atlanta. I decided against it for exactly that reason -- it's too damn big.

I chose 100K-500K, but my actual choice would have been for a 100K-200K had it been on the list.
Big enough to have decent amenities and relatively self-contained neighborhoods, but small enough that any necessary travel is still quite reasonable.
Any bigger than that, and city leadership starts getting delusions of grandeur, where they try to grow the city even more.

I never go downtown. there simply is no reason. AVG person has been priced into oblivion in the stadiums......and thats about all MPLS has on the rest of the place. NOLA is far diff from where I live.......actually reasons to go there.

I grew up in the Chicago area,, moved to the sticks of South Carolina, for 5 years and decided I missed the big city, so moved to the Phoenix area.

Found out, I really hate city life, so moved back to SC. Small towns are way better with the convience of Ashville,Atlanta, greenville and Charlotte a stones throw away, couldn't ask for anything more.

A small city has many conveniences: Lower crime rates, the posibility of walking to your job ( instead of using the car) less pollution. Nevertheless, the price is that some services might not be available ( a first class hospital , museums, college), depending on the city size.

culturecreep lacks the IQ to ask which philosophy is best, liberalism or conservatism, so he plays trivial pursuit about city size then loses interest in his own doofy subject.

culturecreep lacks the IQ to ask which philosophy is best, liberalism or conservatism, so he plays trivial pursuit about city size then loses interest in his own doofy subject.

Really Ed?
City size matters more than you imagine. In general terms larger ( 10 million plus ) cities tend to use more resouces per capita, generate more pollution and are a source of "local warming".
It is not trivial, it is a very important economic factor . Some countries seem to be faring well with medium sized cities ( Germany, Australia ) and as by the poll it seems no one really thinks living in a megalopolis is a good idea.
It's a good chance to rethink how cities are planned.

Really Ed?
City size matters more than you imagine. In general terms larger ( 10 million plus ) cities tend to use more resouces per capita, generate more pollution and are a source of "local warming".
It is not trivial, it is a very important economic factor . Some countries seem to be faring well with medium sized cities ( Germany, Australia ) and as by the poll it seems no one really thinks living in a megalopolis is a good idea.

1) culturecreep lacks the IQ to ask which philosophy is best, liberalism or conservatism, and why it is best so he plays trivial pursuit to cover up

2) and now, in addition to 10,000 other libcommie interventions, he wants a lib Nazi govt to dictate what size city is best.

Why not move to Cuba??

Really Ed?

1) culturecreep lacks the IQ to ask which philosophy is best, liberalism or conservatism, and why it is best so he plays trivial pursuit to cover up

2) and now, in addition to 10,000 other libcommie interventions, he wants a lib Nazi govt to dictate what size city is best.

Why not move to Cuba??
I might just do that when I retire . The weather is mostly nice all year ( except for huricane season ) .

Really Ed?

Why not move to Cuba??
I might just do that when I retire . The weather is mostly nice all year ( except for huricane season ) .
it figures that a lib commie would not object to retiring in the last communist country

Forum List

Back