What is the "I" button really for?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I have always figured the "I" button (informative) was for posts that provide noteworthy information about whatever we are bickering over. But I notice some posters are giving me "I"s for posts involving no informative content at all.
What are they using it for?

I have always figured the "I" button (informative) was for posts that provide noteworthy information about whatever we are bickering over. But I notice some posters are giving me "I"s for posts involving no informative content at all.

I know, right? I see it used on posts that ask a question. Have yet to figure out how an unanswered question can be "informative". I figure when it's pinned to a post not at all intended to impart actual erudition it shows the awarder is simply illiterate and doesn't know what the word means.

Henry gives me "I"s alla time. He looks up to me as an adoring student to his Master. Which I understand, given his deprived state, but it's a wee bit clingy.

^ :lol: it can mean whatever you want it to mean...

for instance, i just used it in a manner never thought possible until this thread :laugh2:

I know, right? I see it used on posts that ask a question. Have yet to figure out how an unanswered question can be "informative". I figure when it's pinned to a post not at all intended to impart actual erudition it shows the awarder is simply illiterate and doesn't know what the word means.

Henry gives me "I"s alla time. He looks up to me as an adoring student to his Master. Which I understand, given his deprived state, but it's a wee bit clingy.
rambo has given me a few after i put the guy down.....so i guess it has many meanings....

rambo has given me a few after i put the guy down.....so i guess it has many meanings....

Yeah I get them too. But then, if you start every sentence with "yo", I imagine you find everything down to a blade of grass "informative".

Their own personal clique code.
Meaning what? Don't be the Cheshire Cat this morning, please.

cheshire_cat.jpg

The equivalent of a disagree button.

Right, it is used when a message is informative and they are grateful, informative and they disagree, or simply like a negative rep/disagree.... so, I just ignore them.... the funny smiley is confusing as well....I use it as funny, but others don't and others use the funny agree if they don't want the recipient to think they are giving a funny as negative rep, I suppose?

just too complicated to figure out the poster's intent...so, who cares? That's my attitude! :p

Yeah I get them too. But then, if you start every sentence with "yo", I imagine you find everything down to a blade of grass "informative".
YO!!....i hear ya....

Glad to hear the "I" button is an all-inclusive whatever-there-isn't-a-button-for response. A couple of the ones I got gave me the creepy feeling someone was compiling a dossier on me.

I use informative when I find a post is informative or when I learned something I didn't know about before.

I am guilty of using "funny" at times in a sarcastic manner. Some posters are just . . . silly, therefore funny. Lol.

I also use funny to really mean funny sometimes too. I think the poster who it is directed at can figure out pretty easily where I'm coming from because I don't just rate a post and keep my mouth shut. :p

Glad to hear the "I" button is an all-inclusive whatever-there-isn't-a-button-for response. A couple of the ones I got gave me the creepy feeling someone was compiling a dossier on me.

Maybe we should just have a disagree button to clear up any confusion. I pretty much make it clear to the poster I'm addressing what I mean by "funny" when I use it in a sarcastic manner though. :)

Some posters use it as a neg button.

Some posters use it as a neg button.

They may imagine they do, but since (a) the word doesn't mean that and (b) there are plenty of present posters who were not here in the Neg Times, it's a flaccid overture.

Their own personal clique code.
Meaning what? Don't be the Cheshire Cat this morning, please.

cheshire_cat.jpg

The equivalent of a disagree button.

I don't get where they think informative is the equivalent of disagree. Lol. That pretty much sums up the level of intelligence though! :D

I agree. When I use it it means "I learned something I didn't know", which is.... uh, kinda what the word means.

The farthest I can stretch that is on a post where I learned the poster so awarded is a bigot, but that's still something revealed. There's no planet on which "informative" means "I disagree". It means close to the opposite.

Forum List

Back