what is the difference between sex and making love?

follow up to the thread on what is sex? well what is making love? or do you think they are the same.

They are definitely not the same.....AT ALL.

Making love is the consummation of emotional connectedness with a physical act.

Sex is a physical act that exists outside of whether any emotional connection exists at all.

For example, in rape, the physical act of "sex" occurs, but there can be no argument that it is "making love." It is more likely described as the antithesis of making love.

In a less extreme situation, swingers, who engage in all manner of sex with random people known to them and sometimes strangers, are participating in the act of having sex with these people, but there is almost no emotional connection with the people they are having sex with. (aka sport fucking)

follow up to the thread on what is sex? well what is making love? or do you think they are the same.

They are definitely not the same.....AT ALL.

Making love is the consummation of emotional connectedness with a physical act.

Sex is a physical act that exists outside of whether any emotional connection exists at all.

For example, in rape, the physical act of "sex" occurs, but there can be no argument that it is "making love." It is more likely described as the antithesis of making love.

In a less extreme situation, swingers, who engage in all manner of sex with random people known to them and sometimes strangers, are participating in the act of having sex with these people, but there is almost no emotional connection with the people they are having sex with. (aka sport fucking)

I would agree with your post, with the addition that "making love" (as I understand it) doesn't always end up in having "sex".

In older movies and songs, making love was used for more of an attitude towards another person, petting, etc.

IMO - it's kind of the difference between love and lust. Sex can be had with someone you feel lust or love for, but you can't make love out of just lust - there has to be something deeper.

well said eve....making love...to me..is nothing physical....fucking that is just fucking ...making love goes to another level that does not need the physical aspects of fucking...sometimes you make love to someone by simply being there....listening....holding their hand...not wanting more....being happy with what you have....

to me it is the comfortable silence on a long drive....that even when he does not have to get out of bed in the winter...he does....my lunch is made...my car is heated....windows scraped...

3 days before our wedding date...he had a grand mal seizure...and offered of course to cancell the wedding....i refused ...to me...that was making love...we stepped into the unknown together...without fear....

i think making love is the willingness to hold hands and jump into the void..the unknown....

once article 15 ask in public.....since i didnt kiss or hug what the hell did i do? just go to it....

i never answered him....i will now....when i fuck ...i fuck just like a man...well longer but just as hard and abandoned....my view ...everyone gets fucked well..we can both roll over and go to sleep

when i make love...you will know you have been loved and are loved

Last edited:
The emotional factor. Sex is merely physical coitus. but making love implies a deeper motivation beyond busting a nut. I've had both and there really is no comparison: sex in love is exponentially better than sex in lust.

The emotional factor. Sex is merely physical coitus. but making love implies a deeper motivation beyond busting a nut. I've had both and there really is no comparison: sex in love is exponentially better than sex in lust.

true....yet sex in lust with someone you love is quite the experience....

Well Bones, we may have a few things in common after all. Voluntary sex is release and enjoyment, (not talking rape, which someone brought up). Can happen with someone you're not really intellectually intimate with, but find attractive.

Making love, well that's a conglomeration of physical, mental, and dare one say it, spiritual. You actually love that person and wish to give, receive and face them in the morning. You want to spend time with them, outside of bed.

sex is what guys call it, making love is for chicks.

Hmm, seems I've known way more guys upset that I didn't want a relationship than vice versa. For me there was one. Not saying I didn't regret dumping some, but was purely financial, not for love.

I'm just saying that a real guy would never say to his buds: hey guys, we made love last night. It's ya, I had sex with her.

I'm just saying that a real guy would never say to his buds: hey guys, we made love last night. It's ya, I had sex with her.

Ah the difference between men and women. I know very few women, myself included that would claim to have had sex for fun, but didn't much care for the guy. We all disseminate what we will in real life.

Easier to be 'real' regarding this type of topic here. On the other hand, I'm much more real about politics in real life. ;)

Ah the difference between men and women. I know very few women, myself included that would claim to have had sex for fun, but didn't much care for the guy. We all disseminate what we will in real life.

Easier to be 'real' regarding this type of topic here. On the other hand, I'm much more real about politics in real life. ;)

I think the flaw in his statement, which I'm hoping was tongue in cheek anyway, is that a man in love won't generally go to his friends and even talk about how he conquered the pussy of his emotionally attached partner like he will a one night stand. Such statements cheapen not only the object of his affection but also the foundation of his emotional ties to her.

I think the flaw in his statement, which I'm hoping was tongue in cheek anyway, is that a man in love won't generally go to his friends and even talk about how he conquered the pussy of his emotionally attached partner like he will a one night stand. Such statements cheapen not only the object of his affection but also the foundation of his emotional ties to her.

Well put. :clap2:

Forum List

Back