CDZ What is the bigger problem, drunk drivers or terrorists?

I looked up the stats and it does not appear to be even close. No one on Google even seems to offer much variety in stats.

Just with sloppy in my head math, am I estimating correctly this tally:

Wars on Terror, 9/11, Shoe Bomber etc : 10,000 Americans since 2001

Drunk Driving : 160,000 ?
I think your drunk driving stats are way off.

Maybe. Do you think I am high or low?

Here is where I came up with 160,000 drunk driving deaths since 2001. I know there is a 0% chance it is exactly right, just an estimate.

First stat I saw was 2014 claiming 9,967.

It came from here: Impaired Driving: Get the Facts | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Then I looked at some old graphs on the google and saw numbers just above 10,000 per year between 2000 and 2010.

Take that 10,000 per year over 16 years and I got 160,000. Just rough, sloppy numbers.
The problem with those stats is that in very few (if any) of those cases has it been proven that drunken driving was the cause of the fatalities.

So what you are saying is despite the driver's blood alcohol level being above .08 (or whatever) we do not know the accident was caused by them drinking?
That's the fact, jack.

And another thing many people do not realize is that the NTSB will classify any fatal auto accident in which somebody involved has even a trace amount of alcohol in their system an "alcohol related" fatality. That would even include a fatality in which a guy sitting in his living room drinking a beer is hit by a sober driver.

Also, many people are not drunk when they have a BAC of .08.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back