What is the best religion for a beginner?

urbano

Rookie
Jan 28, 2012
I want to learn a religion but im unsure which is best. Please give me reasons why i should try out your religion, the pros AND the cons.

Thank you. Im just needing some spiritual guidance at this present time.

I want to learn a religion but im unsure which is best. Please give me reasons why i should try out your religion, the pros AND the cons.

If you are looking for fulfillment or to feel more 'connected', look inward, not outward. The more you know yourself, the more you know others, because we are all the same, regardless of appearances and behavior. Figure out who you are. Only you can. The western religions look outward, while the eastern religions look inward. I would suggest Buddhism as one bearing the most fruit in this conquest to know oneself.

Why would you want to suspend all reason so as to believe in a magic man in the sky?

I suggest David Copperfield or Uri Geller...those guys perform real miracles.

And let's face it, if it isn't on the telly or YouTube it didn't really happen.

Free Frizbeetarianism

We believe that when you die, if you were good, you become a frizbee that children play with. If you are saintly you become one of those frizbees that get played with by particularly clever dogs and their masters

But if you were bad?

You still become a frizbee, but on the first toss you get lobbed onto some inconvenient garage roof or down a manhole and then you spend the rest of eternity by yourself with nobody to play with.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsa0m7fy7s]The Church of Scientology Presents NEUROSCIENCE for DUMMIES - YouTube[/ame]

its a good idea to start with one of one of the more established cults like Mormonism and Scientology before you jump feet first into the heavens gates /purple kool-aid level of commitment

Your Q is funny, however if u r serious and this is your understanding, look:
Man is a unique creature. God gave man the ability to govern over all other creatures in this world. Together with this faculty to discriminate and discern, man is given the freedom (free-will) to choose for himself a way of life worthy of his position or to fall lower than the lowest of all animals or creations. Man is born pure and sinless and is given the choice to do righteous deeds or indulge in sins.

It would be better to know why those who became muslims did so,
Reverts - Be Muslims !

Another point related is if islam has any pros,
The merits of Islam
Home - Falsehood Go !

Evidence that islam is the truth
Category: Evidence Islam is Truth - The Religion of Islam

I think this is enough for now.

Universalism

That way you can venture into all religions without any restrictions and decide what you agree with and what you do not.

In the end, you may decide to use many religious books as sources of advice and methods to live by. I tend to do that myself. Of course, you will need a healthy skeptic attitude while you do this.

You know........first off, I'd start off with some kind of philosophical base that you can build on. Tao works very well for such a thing. I'd recommend starting off with a book called "The Tao of Pooh", which describes basic elements of Tao via stories from Winnie the Pooh. If you decide that is something that appeals to you, I'd then suggest getting a book called "The Tao Te Ching" by Lao Tzu as translated by Red Pine, because it is the best translation of the Tao that I've seen, and it also has commentary by many other great Eastern philosophers on each verse written and their take on it.

After you've got a good philosophical base, then start investigating other religions to see where they are all the same. Judaism (for the understanding) would be a very good place to start. For that one, I'd recommend watching a program on the GLC (God's Learning Channel, a religious one) called "Hidden in the Hebrew" with Uri Harel.

From there? Just keep looking for wherever you can find God.

Works very well for me.

Be careful not to choose what is easiest or most fun. Don't put God into a box of what you would like God to be. That would put man above God and that would be illogical. We as the created should try to understand what God would want us to do in our lives.

What is needed is an understanding between the Creator and the created, and such is the basis of religious pursuit. What should be the driving thinking is not what is best for the beginner, but what is the truth. The simplistic thinking lumps all religion as all valid or none as valid. It would be contradictory to think all religions are true when they contradict each other, so at best only one is true and the others are false, and that includes false teachings within certain religious groupings (sects or demoninations). Always be careful when a man elevates himself above God.

What is needed is to restore the relationship of man with God that was separated by sin (or disobedience to God). We have all sinned and fallen short of God. Sin is what stains us in the sight of God. We have all lied (deceived), stolen (taking what didn't belong to us), envied, lusted, etc. People will often think of themselves as "good" and they would hope to be judged good enough to get into heaven. So you have self-justification. They hope God grades on a curve and since most people measure better in comparision to the most notorious murderers and rapists of human history, God will give them a pass.

In Christianity, God sent Jesus to die on a cross for our sins, the ultimate sacrifice for our sins and He did that because He love us. If we accept Jesus as our Savior and we repent of our sins, He can forgive us of our sins. That does not mean we have carte blanche to continue sinning, but we can be washed of our sins and appear holy before God on Judgment Day with Jesus as our advocate and enter the kingdom of heaven and avoid the pit of hell. And Jesus can renew our minds so sinning becomes as offensive to us as it does to God.

Now if you want to know the cons, I'll straight up tell you that Christianity is not easy, in that Christianity offends the wicked. Christianity is mocked in much of the secular world, especially in secular schools and the media. But such is the price for everlasting salvation.

So I would recommend getting a good study Bible (one that has notes that'll explain the historical backgrounds and authors and practices of the time), read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, perhaps starting with Luke which was written to the Gentiles), then you can start reading the rest, find a good Bible-believing Church (avoid any that don't teach the Gospel or repentance), and keep an open mind to what God would have you to do (pray).

Forum List

Back