What is the best protection to get for my Lenovo?

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
I think I asked this last year. Anyway, if I wanted to get the best security protection to scan and remove viruses, anyone recommend anything?

In your case, I would suggest a bib, or perhaps just spread a piece of plastic over the keyboard.

Windows Defender. Its free, doesn´t spam adds and has one of the best ratings in recent tests.
I've already looked at recent independent tests and while it doesn't score badly it still doesn't score as high as the free third party base options. Even doing a simple search for 2018 comparisons they all still recommend NOT relying on Windows Defender. The only labs giving Defender high marks are those affiliated with Microsoft........ Go figure.......
Don't want to get spamed using a free AV? Pay the $25 (discount) annual fee for Avast and triple your protection.

Windows Defender. Its free, doesn´t spam adds and has one of the best ratings in recent tests.
I've already looked at recent independent tests and while it doesn't score badly it still doesn't score as high as the free third party base options. Even doing a simple search for 2018 comparisons they all still recommend NOT relying on Windows Defender. The only labs giving Defender high marks are those affiliated with Microsoft........ Go figure.......
Don't want to get spamed using a free AV? Pay the $25 (discount) annual fee for Avast and triple your protection.
Particularly the "notorious" AV-Test lab, that always gave the Defender a place at the end of the ranking, was often accused by MS of not being independent. Now they rate the Defender among the best.
The Defender has improved over time.

iu

Particularly the "notorious" AV-Test lab, that always gave the Defender a place at the end of the ranking, was often accused by MS of not being independent. Now they rate the Defender among the best.
I never said it hasn't improved put it's still not rated as high as the basic free versions on the market. Oh and AV-Test lab is a test-for-hire org and not a truly independent testing lab.

I never said it hasn't improved put it's still not rated as high as the basic free versions on the market. Oh and AV-Test lab is a test-for-hire org and not a truly independent testing lab.
Its certainly better than any of the free solutions. And of most the paid as well, as they annoy with expiring licenses.

I can also recommend Symantec Endpoint Protection and McAfee Virusscan Enterprise for all who feel a need to have real time protection. Nothing expires here. McAfee even allows to download definitions from their website.

I've been using Trend Micro for years and never had an issue. You can protect up to 5 machines, including your smartphones.

Today, honestly, the most important shield against malware of any kind is not anti-virus, but anti-spam/tracking. And most people don't use any.
Using ABP plugin for your browser, and a good anti-spam program such as Adaware or Spybot S&D is more important than whatever anti-virus software you choose.
Getting a virus that actually works is rare. Quite rare.
People get tracking/spamware every single day that anti-virus software does nothing to prevent.

These are some free and safe Antivirus available in the market.
  • Comodo Antivirus
  • Malwarebytes
  • Avira
  • Avasti
  • File Shield

Forum List

Back