What is the best age to marry?

jchima

Sep 22, 2014
  • Is one age better than another when it comes to marriage? Many young adults and some of their parents seem to think the late twenties is the best time, giving them the chance to secure their careers. Contrary to that thinking, some studies and our own empirical evidence show that marrying in your early 20s may be the best age. Having a partner as you work your way through college and up that career ladder can be fun and helpful.

We married when we were in college, at a young age. We just simply fell in love and wanted to be together forever. It was as simple as that. We believe it can be simple now. Many young couples are proving that marriage can be enjoyable and lasting if they work at it. A happy marriage isn’t automatic at any age, so if you’ve found someone you love, who shares your same values, take the leap. Here are some thoughts on why marriage can work at a young age — and by young we don’t mean teenagers.
    Source: What is the best age to marry - eReporter

The best time to get married is when you find the right person to marry, and that only works out about half of the time. Based on my own experience, I think it is wise to wait until the late 20's or early 30's.

Depends on who you ask. Reliigous would have it in the teens typically. But I think only after you've had lots of casual sex, gotten done with school, gotten established can you reaosnably know who you'd wanna settle down with. 30+ is a good starting point. Younger than that you run into a problem of being unable to appreciate spans of time you have no experience with. You can't swear to be faithful to one person for the rest of your life if you life is just 20 years long say. To you 20 years is a lifetime. And if your longest relationship to date is a year or two how can you reasonably promise a spouse decades?

Other problem is being a consumer society, coupled with how reliigous faith and commitments have been marginalized, there's no longer any stigma to getting divorced. Past generatinos sought counselling for marital difficulties, but now because of the no-stigma for divorce people just abandon spouses and get a new one like cars.

Getting married now to anyone from this culture is a sure fire way to ensure you eventually get divorced. The stick with it ethic is long gone from US culture.

• Is one age better than another when it comes to marriage? Many young adults and some of their parents seem to think the late twenties is the best time, giving them the chance to secure their careers. Contrary to that thinking, some studies and our own empirical evidence show that marrying in your early 20s may be the best age. Having a partner as you work your way through college and up that career ladder can be fun and helpful.

We married when we were in college, at a young age. We just simply fell in love and wanted to be together forever. It was as simple as that. We believe it can be simple now. Many young couples are proving that marriage can be enjoyable and lasting if they work at it. A happy marriage isn’t automatic at any age, so if you’ve found someone you love, who shares your same values, take the leap. Here are some thoughts on why marriage can work at a young age — and by young we don’t mean teenagers.
    Source: What is the best age to marry - eReporter
Then that was the best age for you.

When you are old enough to make a commitment.

In cultures where arranged marriages prevail it is not unusual to have successful marriages at a very young age. But people in these cultures take a different view of "love" and marriage.

In our frivilous culture, many people have the ridiculous view that seeking a marriage partner is a quest to find one's "soul mate" - the person with whom you cannot live without. But unfortunately, after they are in what they think are SoulMate-type relationships, they constantly find other people with whom they cannot live without, and conclude that SoulMate #1 must have been a mistake. Sorry.

One thing to remember is that in the traditional (religious) wedding ceremony, there is no declaration of emotional love. There is a PROMISE TO love in the future. If "love" is an emotion then this promise is an absurdity. No one can promise to feel an emotional attachment for the rest of their lives; emotions don't work that way (except maybe with children).

But you can promise to treat a person lovingly, which will nurture a loving relationship that can last a lifetime. After 41 years of marriage, I do have some experience at this.

There were several other girls that I "loved" more than the girl I married, but I would have been miserable with all of them and quickly divorced. I thought a couple of them were my "Soul Mates" (note the plural). But none of them has had a successful marriage with they people they married first.

It's all about mutual commitment.

Forum List

Back