What Is Terrorism?

terrorism

noun
the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Is threatening a nuclear strike terrorism?
Is threatening to invade?

The fact that he is a freedom fighter does not make him any less a terrorist. Freedom is his end, but terror is his means.

I agree. Even if the declared intentions sound noble, even if the nation purpetrating the act is 'one of the good guys'.

The fact that he is a freedom fighter does not make him any less a terrorist. Freedom is his end, but terror is his means.

I agree. Even if the declared intentions sound noble, even if the nation purpetrating the act is 'one of the good guys'.

You are making the claim that the US purposely tried to cause a public health crisis by destroying power grids. If the US wanted a public health crisis, why fuck around with stupid power grids when they could just carpet bomb every major city until every person is dead? What kind of public health crisis would there be if the US used a nuke?

You cant make the claim that the US is an evil entity with the intention of killing innocents, when they dont go out and do what you claim. Killing people would be a simple task for the US, if thats what they wanted to do.

This is going to be a losing arguement for you every time.

Last edited:
I agree that the term terrorist is always used against the other. No one admits their own terrorism.

However, in the Middle East today, and after the excessive utilization of this term by overwhelming US and pro-US media, anti-US public opinion in the region has come to view being labeled a terrorist as a merit badge testifying to their commitment to one of the many causes around the region. And although this is not new, it has never been to this extent.

I agree that the term terrorist is always used against the other. No one admits their own terrorism.

However, in the Middle East today, and after the excessive utilization of this term by overwhelming US and pro-US media, anti-US public opinion in the region has come to view being labeled a terrorist as a merit badge testifying to their commitment to one of the many causes around the region. And although this is not new, it has never been to this extent.

Yes cause purposefully targeting women and children and sending rockets into cities is such a legit means of waging a war. You are an idiot and a supporter of terrorists.

When you side does it, it's good clean fun war.

When they're side does it, it's dirty terrorism.

The word used to have some meaning, but now thanks to Orwellian doublespeak, calling someone a terrorism is more of a political statement than anything meaningful.

You are making the claim that the US purposely tried to cause a public health crisis by destroying power grids. If the US wanted a public health crisis, why fuck around with stupid power grids when they could just carpet bomb every major city until every person is dead? What kind of public health crisis would there be if the US used a nuke?

You cant make the claim that the US is an evil entity with the intention of killing innocents, when they dont go out and do what you claim. Killing people would be a simple task for the US, if thats what they wanted to do.

This is going to be a losing arguement for you every time.

I think you are confusing two posts...

my first one (the water grid) asked a question. You gave your opinion, great.
The second (a statement and a question) was relating to your definition of terrorism. And how I see that the term is treated differently depending on who the actors are (i.e. friends vs enemies).

As for killing innocent people... it is a simple task for the US (since you brought it up) and it surprises me you think the US doesn't kill innocent people intentionally... which means you believe it is always accidental or mistaken? Or that it never happens?

As for killing innocent people... it is a simple task for the US (since you brought it up) and it surprises me you think the US doesn't kill innocent people intentionally... which means you believe it is always accidental or mistaken? Or that it never happens?

I was in the military, and im well aware of their rules on killing innocent civilians, and ive never met a person in the military that i thought would break this law. You need to understand that their is alot of pride in the US military ranks, and they pride themselves on being good people who fight evil. There is NO FUCKING WAY you are going to see a bunch of US soldiers purposely killing innocent civilians.

Imagine all the people that live in your neighborhood...how many of those people do you think are capable of firing indescriminately into a crowd of innocents? The military is no different. Military people, for the most part, are just like everyone else you know, only they are in the military, but being in the military doesnt instill some sort of murdering instinct, in fact its quite the opposite.

In boot camp, you spend an entire week learning about the rights of combatants and non combatants, and they are very good at making you scared as hell about breaking any law in the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice).

If you are in the military, and you murder someone outside of a military base, you get tried and punished by 2 courts. First the local civilian court gets to punish you, then when you get released from prison 20 years later, the military will try you for murder and theyll give you another 20 years, if not more. Its called "the double wammy" among military personel, and its no fucking joke.

Im telling you right now, that the people in the military are far more likely to obey laws then people who are not in the military, because they will fucking nail you to the wall if you mess up in the US military.

Are there crazy people out there who might break the law and commit murder? Duh, of course, but just because some crazy guy murders someone, it doesnt mean that its US policy.

Last edited:

I was in the military, and im well aware of their rules on killing innocent civilians, and ive never met a person in the military that i thought would break this law. You need to understand that their is alot of pride in the US military ranks, and they pride themselves on being good people who fight evil. There is NO FUCKING WAY you are going to see a bunch of US soldiers purposely killing innocent civilians.

Who you may have met, and how much 'pride' some people may have in that they fight evil is great. But if they conclude that someone is evil (whatever that really means) then would they not kill them? In a tense, stressful time in a foreign nation where they aren't sure who may be an 'enemy'?

Imagine all the people that live in your neighborhood...how many of those people do you think are capable of firing indescriminately into a crowd of innocents? The military is no different. Military people, for the most part, are just like everyone else you know, only they are in the military, but being in the military doesnt instill some sort of murdering instinct, in fact its quite the opposite.

No, it gives people the ability and tools to kill - and puts them in a situation likely to produce violent results. It's just math, really.

In boot camp, you spend an entire week learning about the rights of combatants and non combatants, and they are very good at making you scared as hell about breaking any law in the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice).

If you are in the military, and you murder someone outside of a military base, you get tried and punished by 2 courts. First the local civilian court gets to punish you, then when you get released from prison 20 years later, the military will try you for murder and theyll give you another 20 years, if not more. Its called "the double wammy" among military personel, and its no fucking joke.
uh... okay, great.

Im telling you right now, that the people in the military are far more likely to obey laws then people who are not in the military, because they will fucking nail you to the wall if you mess up in the US military.

Are there crazy people out there who might break the law and commit murder? Duh, of course, but just because some crazy guy murders someone, it doesnt mean that its US policy.

Bad apples, I get it. I don't think that just being in the military makes anyone anything, murderer or whatever. It is situations that cause things... for example, put people into a stressful situation where they might lose their lives at any moment, and give them weapons and you may find that (like anyone) there is a tendency to feel threatened and react, or 'pre-act' in certain situations - not because the 'army is bad' but because that is human nature.

I assume, if the US was occupied - you would not roll over and take it? But perhaps, resist in someway? Or even fight? Would that make you evil?

Who you may have met, and how much 'pride' some people may have in that they fight evil is great. But if they conclude that someone is evil (whatever that really means) then would they not kill them? In a tense, stressful time in a foreign nation where they aren't sure who may be an 'enemy'?

Tense and stressful situations dont determine who is innocent, and you are NOT supposed to kill innocent civilians, period. Everyone knows that the mother carrying the baby isnt the "evil" person your supposed to kill, instead, they are looking for the dude carrying the AK-47 whos doing that girly highpitched arab war cry "lalalalala".

If in a soldier kills an innocent non-combatant by mistake, because they thought he was a combatant, that isnt murder or terrorism, its a mistake.

I assume, if the US was occupied - you would not roll over and take it? But perhaps, resist in someway? Or even fight? Would that make you evil?

It would make me evil if instead of fighting the invading soldiers, i went over to their country and started purposely killing innocent, unarmed civilians.

You guys think you are so clever and phylosophical. You make these idiotic comparisons about the US and terrorism, as if you have some great insight because of your never ending wisdom, but in reality, you sound like a fucking retards. Honestly, are you guys this fucking stupid? You really want us to believe that you idiots dont understand what a terrorist is?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back