What is so TERRIBLE about voter ID?

I am very concerned with the liberals saying this voter ID thing is against blacks. Certainly this isn't against skin color, they are really saying the poor and less educated, aren't they? Then why don't they say the poor and less educated? They come in all shapes and colors. Not just black so what is with this black voter shit?

What do people do if they misplace their purse on election day?

I misspoke in my orig post. In vote by-mail- states - they check your signature on the ballot outer ENVELOPE (not on the ballot itself) -so your vote is still anonymous.

So if you misplace your purse on election day you go get a mail-in ballot from someone?
Not in many states; you must get the card PRIOR to election day. Extended voting, as we have in my county, several days to vote, can eliminate the problem. There is no widespread fraud; some just want to make it tougher to vote. In Florida 2000, a few state officials were double registered (not legal) both in Leon & their home counties. No one attempted two votes however. As law enforcement stand around polling stations, are thousands of illegal aliens going to risk that contact? Vote by mail seems more likely to allow fraud. Forged signatures "checked" by WHOM? Widespread voter fraud would require a lot of MONEY. Not a worry among any but those so inclined.

Forget racism. I just want to know WHY blacks don't supposedly have ID's.

You can go to your local DMV and get one for a couple bucks, a SS card, and a birth certificate. Why wouldn't a black American have those simple things?
My father could not retire from the Navy for several months in 1971 because the Courthouse that served in Corbin, KY, where he was born, had a flood in the basement where birth records were stored. It took two affidavits, one from someone not related to him to prove his BIRTH. He was lucky to find a 70 year old man still living in the area, and lucky my grandfather was still alive.

It is easier these days EXCEPT for privacy laws concerning birth records. You have to fill out lots of paperwork to get your own.

Let me say a few things about voter fraud.

First of all, I'm more concerned about election fraud (public officials or someone who has technical knowledge AND access) stuffing ballot boxes, or altering electronic voting machines, or sending in large numbers of absentee ballots. That concerns me a lot more than voter fraud where individuals engage ID fraud at polling stations.

Secondly, if 1,000 potential fraudulent voters are turned away at polling stations, and the end result of not accepting IDs that aren't state-approved at polling places ultimately results in 10,000 voters being disenfranchised, what exactly have we gained in the process?

Two things come to mind in all this: When gov't doesn't have the will to solve a problem (and there is scant evidence there's a real problem with voter fraud), they elect to make the problem worse. It's called penny wise and pound foolish.

Additionally, I think there's ample evidence that Republicans are not responding to a voter fraud problem. There responding to the record turnout of the young, the elderly, and minorities in the 2008 election who overwhelmingly voted for President Obama since these new laws are almost certainly going to impact those groups the most.

Although I am for requiring an ID to vote and am completely flabberghasted by all the opposition to this, I am with you on your first point 100%. The main issue is corruption behind the scenes rather than the few people who may or may not vote for their neighbors or the few dead who vote. For a voter fraud problem to make a difference in an election, it would take an awful lot of people who knew about what was going on. Someone would slip up and get caught.

Immie

I live in a vote by mail only state.

Sorta miss the old days.

Except don't miss thugs with billy-clubs hanging around polling places intimimidating people like happened in the last election.....

Voter-fraud is made easier without proof of ID
Vote by mail seems to be the easiest target for fraud to me! You cannot have handwriting analysis experts in every county.

You have to provide ID to buy alcohol. You have to provide ID to buy a gun. You have to provide ID to buy cigarettes. You have to provide ID to get many narcotic type prescriptions. ID isn't always used to prove you are an American. It's primary use to to prove who you are. Why should there be a problem? I have a voter registration card. Why not put a picture on the voter ID cards and require them to be shown each and every time you vote? Seems like a fair thing to me.
This makes sense.

(U.S. blocks S.C. voter ID law - SC Politics Today - TheState.com)

Point: Voter ID laws are harmless.

Counterpoint: Voter ID laws discriminate against identifiable populations and create a distortionary effect in the political process.

Point: Voter ID laws are necessary to control voter fraud

Counterpoint: Voter fraud of the type which Voter ID may prevent is very rare and does not create a measurable distortionary effect.

Point: Voter ID does not discriminate against, eg, African Americans.

Counterpoint: Voter ID creates a greater average burden against voting for African Americans than for European Americans due to disparities in ID possession (see letter above).

Point: ID is necessary to do many specific things, and so should be necessary to vote.

Counterpoint: Voting is a constitutional right, sometimes called a fundamental right necessary to secure other rights. Of the many rights in the Bill of Rights, all but one must be granted to individuals even without ID.

(I'm taking the "Counterpoint" side.)
Counterpoint: Voter fraud of the type which Voter ID may prevent is very rare and does not create a measurable distortionary effect.

EXACTLY. Illegal aliens voting en masse is a fantasy; most stay hidden away after working for employers that hire them, the criminals avoid places where police are calmly walking around & have a better chance of identifying the WANTED.

You have to provide ID to buy alcohol. You have to provide ID to buy a gun. You have to provide ID to buy cigarettes. You have to provide ID to get many narcotic type prescriptions. ID isn't always used to prove you are an American. It's primary use to to prove who you are. Why should there be a problem? I have a voter registration card. Why not put a picture on the voter ID cards and require them to be shown each and every time you vote? Seems like a fair thing to me.
This makes sense.

In my state - you can go into any office that issues drivers licenses - and get an all -purpose official photo ID for under $50.

This makes sense.

In my state - you can go into any office that issues drivers licenses - and get an all -purpose official photo ID for under $50.

And the argument presented by the left is that what ever the amount is, it is in effect a poll tax which is unconstitutional if ID's are required to vote. And I have to agree with them it would constitute a poll tax.

Immie

This makes sense.

And the argument presented by the left is that what ever the amount is, it is in effect a poll tax which is unconstitutional if ID's are required to vote. And I have to agree with them it would constitute a poll tax.

Immie
Free photo voter ID then. A charge for early replacement however. One can argue having to drive to the polling station is a poll tax. Still no explanation about MAIL IN voting. This seems an easy way to cast fraudulent votes.

Immie
Free photo voter ID then. A charge for early replacement however. One can argue having to drive to the polling station is a poll tax. Still no explanation about MAIL IN voting. This seems an easy way to cast fraudulent votes.

I have long espoused the idea of the free ID.

Immie

Immie

I'm fine with free voter ID, if almost every eligible voter is furnished with an ID before it becomes required to vote.

Immie

No system is fool-proof/fraud-proof/tamper-proof.

In mail in voting - the election office only mails ballots to registered voters who have already proven their ID. Then you presume the people they hire to read signatures are good at what they do.

Any system is better than no ID at all to vote.

Requiring voters to PROVE that they are American citizens before they vote???

In vote-by-mail only states: they check your signature on the ballot with the one they have on file.

1) It costs money. WHy with 8% unemployment do we want to waste billions of dollars?
2) There is no voter fraud problem in the past e haves there have only been 70 case of voter fraud, however in just 2008 alone 5 million voters showed up to the polls and could not vote because they did not have the right ID.
Hec, I showed up to vote with all the right ID's (voter card included), and they said that I couldnot vote by way of my voter card (license or anyother ID), and this was at the school where the voting station was set up. They said that my voter card had to be verified or something like that, and this meant that I had to go downtown somewhere in order to get this done. They said to me that they didnot have me on a list or something like that when they checked my card... I couldnot figure out what was going on (how did I have a card in the first place, if it wasn't on their list?), so I got frustrated and didnot vote at all in that election......Then I hear and read about what Acorn did, and all the dead people that voted, and the prisoners that voted, and so you know what I was thinking after all that was learned or found about later on.

I wonder what the games will be this time around ?

Forum List

Back