What is satire?

konradv

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2010
Baltimore adjacent
Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration,[3] juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve of (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

Satire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the posts here seem to be straight political messages. Where's the humor? I don't care if it's from the right or the left, just make it funny.

Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
A common feature of satire is strong irony or sarcasm—"in satire, irony is militant"[2]—but parody, burlesque, exaggeration,[3] juxtaposition, comparison, analogy, and double entendre are all frequently used in satirical speech and writing. This "militant" irony or sarcasm often professes to approve of (or at least accept as natural) the very things the satirist wishes to attack.

Most of the posts here seem to be straight political messages. Where's the humor? I don't care if it's from the right or the left, just make it funny.

Oh well!

I think we need a sub-forum satirizing the Political Satire forum.

To truly appreciate satire one has to have roughly the same degree of understanding of the issue at hand as the author.

We do not have that kind of intellectually homogenized audience here.

satire? Isn't that the funky little thing in the trunk of your car you're supposed to use when the one so thin you can feel every bump in the road loses what iota of air it has? :eusa_whistle:

I think Wiki's definition of satire is too limiting. In its purest sense:

Satire:

--a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn

--trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly
Satire - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Not Satire - straight news reporting--Obama rebuffs criticism for bowing to Saudi king.
th

Satire of same event:

obama-bowing-before-saudi-king-cartoon.jpg

obama-bowing-burger-king.jpg

It is said that all humor contains a grain of truth or seems plausible as truth which is what makes it funny.

The bowing incident was one of Obama's earlier forays into international relations and, while he definitely should have fired his protocol officer, or hit himself in the head for not hiring one, prior to that visit to Saudi Arabia, it really wasn't all that big a deal. But it was offensive, in a mile way, to Americans who demand a certain appreciation and respect and attention to protocol in the office as President.

So the cartoons use humor to express the breach of protocol and at least one component of why the incident was offensive to at least many Americans. And that is satire in its purest form.

Ann Coulter, as another example, is a brilliant satirist who uses words instead of cartoons--which of course is sometimes seen as somehow more offensive even though it accomplishes the same thing. So those who understand her work as satire appreciate her. Those who do not, see her as mean, viscious, hateful.

Hey, I'm doing the best I can !!!

It's an up-hill struggle. Unlike the Jews and the Brits, Americans have a hard time laughing at themselves.

That's why most of their humorists are Jews or imported Brits or Canadians.

Though I am native-born American, I do have the advantage of coming from Los Angeles -- that helps a lot when it comes to the absurd.

To truly appreciate satire one has to have roughly the same degree of understanding of the issue at hand as the author.

We do not have that kind of intellectually homogenized audience here.

The rightwingers around here produce brilliant satirical caricatures of conservatives,

without meaning to.

It is said that all humor contains a grain of truth or seems plausible as truth which is what makes it funny.

The bowing incident was one of Obama's earlier forays into international relations and, while he definitely should have fired his protocol officer, or hit himself in the head for not hiring one, prior to that visit to Saudi Arabia, it really wasn't all that big a deal. But it was offensive, in a mile way, to Americans who demand a certain appreciation and respect and attention to protocol in the office as President.

So the cartoons use humor to express the breach of protocol and at least one component of why the incident was offensive to at least many Americans. And that is satire in its purest form.

Ann Coulter, as another example, is a brilliant satirist who uses words instead of cartoons--which of course is sometimes seen as somehow more offensive even though it accomplishes the same thing. So those who understand her work as satire appreciate her. Those who do not, see her as mean, viscious, hateful.

So Ann Coulter is really just portraying a character? Kind of like what? Paul Reubens' Peewee Herman?

Seriously?

Forum List

Back