What is romantic?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
I sent this to a friend via email, but decided I'd be interested in feedback from a broader sample of people:

I watched Faith Hill on Oprah last night - That woman is exquisite. Very classy. However, Oprah asked her a question, and i sort of disagree with the answer Faith gave.

Q: What's the most romantic thing (Tim, her hubby) ever did (For her)?
A: Faith went on and described a 'kidnapping' date to Key West or something.

My answer to that question is: "Thing? Done? I believe romance isn't about what somebody does, but more about 'who' or 'how' a person is. People that 'are' romantic, 'do' romantic without trying. They 'do' romance in their thoughts and acts; second nature."

Thoughts?

dmp said:
I sent this to a friend via email, but decided I'd be interested in feedback from a broader sample of people:

romantic in my opinion is when ya share your interest with the opposite sex..if ya get rejected...well find another who likes you for what you do rather than how much money ya can attribute to her bank account!

maybe a little off base or track...but just my experience!

Romantic is a touch. A look. A squeeze of the shoulder when you walk by them.

Flowers, kidnapping, dinner...that's all good.

But true romance.....just "being."

Feeling each other. Aching for each other's touch; each other's words.

Knowing that the other person misses you as much as you miss them.

Getting excited when you see on the caller I.D. that it is them.

Those butterflies in your stomach when you were in High School before you asked "the one" to the dance.

Being consumed by desire for that person.

When all you want to do is breathe the same air as they do.

GotZoom said:
Romantic is a touch. A look. A squeeze of the shoulder when you walk by them.

Flowers, kidnapping, dinner...that's all good.

But true romance.....just "being."

Feeling each other. Aching for each other's touch; each other's words.

Knowing that the other person misses you as much as you miss them.

Getting excited when you see on the caller I.D. that it is them.

Those butterflies in your stomach when you were in High School before you asked "the one" to the dance.

Being consumed by desire for that person.

When all you want to do is breathe the same air as they do.

:wank:

:D

76% ?? More like 96%.

:D

I must confess, you've blended 'passionate/in-love' with Romance...while linked, they aren't always the same. Id Est, I can be romantic without having anyone else there...no :wank: jokes - just saying I 'see' and 'feel' romance, even though I don't have many sources from which to draw inspiration.

Romance can take many forms, as Manu said, unexpected trips, gifts are nice.

Nicer still, when someone is really glad you are there. When someone is there when you have a burden to share. When someone calls just to hear you. Unexpected compliments.

All work.

My friend's reply - and i'd say he nailed it:

It seems like you disagree with the question more than the answer. The question begs what 'things' have been 'done'. Tim may or may not be a romantic person. However, if he is a romantic person (using your definition), then he has undoubtedly 'done' some romantic 'things'. One does not preclude the other. ;)

FWIW, I agree with your thoughts on romance. However, non romantic people 'do' romantic 'things' too. :)

Romantic: When my husband calls me from work just to tell me he loves me. And the sweet things he writes at the bottom of a birthday or Mother's Day card. Written words of love are about as romantic as it gets for me.

I have a soft spot for Bermuda, and a surprise trip there would be wonderful. It is innately romantic to me.

Abbey Normal said:
Romantic: When my husband calls me from work just to tell me he loves me. And the sweet things he writes at the bottom of a birthday or Mother's Day card. Written words of love are about as romantic as it gets for me.

I have a soft spot for Bermuda, and a surprise trip there would be wonderful. It is innately romantic to me.

more OT on the horizon...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :whip:

Abbey Normal said:

I have a soft spot for those things your husband does. :)

I can never figure out how somebody who claims to love another person, or be 'in-love' with another person doesn't show it in the little things...then, out of the blue, they do something pretty slick. Makes me suspicious. For me, notes and calls are simply what happens - they aren't ideas that pop into my head. It's the opposite of 'Hey! I'd better call, she'd like that!'. Typically, if I'm in love with a woman, I just 'call'. I just 'write notes' or 'massage' or 'buy flowers for'...those things happen because that's what is 'supposed to happen' - in the sense they are a symptom of 'in-love', not things done to convince another person the 'in-love'ness exists...

get it? Yeah...I'm not sure I do either.

heh

GotZoom said:
What did I miss? What is sad?

being romantic...if I have to give.. when not available at the time...I expect that person to love me just the same...simple really..if I date a girl who is overly concerned as to what I can give her..well she becomes history..and misses out on what I could have given her! :teeth:

archangel said:
being romantic...if I have to give.. when not available at the time...I expect that person to love me just the same...simple really..if I date a girl who is overly concerned as to what I can give her..well she becomes history..and misses out on what I could have given her! :teeth:

And you got that out of what I wrote? Dang, you are really over-sensitive in some areas. Luckily I am secure enough to brush it off. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
archangel said:

You are unaware of what being 'romantic' or 'passionate' means, conceptually. You don't 'get it'. I'm not faulting you, or insulting you - but I'm convinced you've never loved like what GotZoom posted above. I 'have'. When I read his list my pulse rose a bit because I can relate - I've experienced the kind of love and passion he was describing. It was the most beautiful time in my personal life...in terms of feeling as though my heart was completed. Since that time, I feel like there's been a chunk missing. :(

dmp said:
I have a soft spot for those things your husband does. :)

I can never figure out how somebody who claims to love another person, or be 'in-love' with another person doesn't show it in the little things...then, out of the blue, they do something pretty slick. Makes me suspicious. For me, notes and calls are simply what happens - they aren't ideas that pop into my head. It's the opposite of 'Hey! I'd better call, she'd like that!'. Typically, if I'm in love with a woman, I just 'call'. I just 'write notes' or 'massage' or 'buy flowers for'...those things happen because that's what is 'supposed to happen' - in the sense they are a symptom of 'in-love', not things done to convince another person the 'in-love'ness exists...

get it? Yeah...I'm not sure I do either.

heh

I get it, D. :) Nice topic, btw.
216.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Abbey Normal said:
And you got that out of what I wrote? Dang, you are really over-sensitive in some areas. Luckily I am secure enough to brush it off. ;)

when ya get some time under your belt...then ya have the right to brush it off...until then keep on a keep'n on about trips to Bermuda as being romantic!
Travel is great but not to be compared with being a romantic jesture!...Oh the young at heart really do amuse me! "Girls gone wild" mentality! :clap:

save it for late night TV!

dmp said:
You are unaware of what being 'romantic' or 'passionate' means, conceptually. You don't 'get it'. I'm not faulting you, or insulting you - but I'm convinced you've never loved like what GotZoom posted above. I 'have'. When I read his list my pulse rose a bit because I can relate - I've experienced the kind of love and passion he was describing. It was the most beautiful time in my personal life...in terms of feeling as though my heart was completed. Since that time, I feel like there's been a chunk missing. :(

if you bothered to read my posts on this subject...I agreed with your simple jestures vs monetary ones..and yes I have been in love more than you will ever know...I just keep it simple and reserve monetary issues for a later date! :dance:

New Topics

Forum List

Back