Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Rich Definition:

possessing material wealth
having an abundant supply of desirable qualities or substances
of great worth or quality

define:rich - Google Search

The term rich is often applied these days to people of great material wealth, some see it as a sign of evil or sign that the person gained that wealth upon the suffering of others. I submit that the term "rich" has a meaning depending on how you define it. Take for example, my own grandfather, who with little education and even less material wealth was the "richest" man I have ever met. You know why?, because of his devotion to his family and friends, he was constantly surrounded by those that loved him and cared for him making him as rich as any person can ever be. Many use the term to define others, as a bad term, but we all have people in our family like my grandfather at one time or the other or know of one. Material wealth could not buy what these people have and had, it was purchased through their own ability to repect and love those around them, but in the end it was earned and not given. I have said this many times on this board but,when looking to your neighbor for their wealth to enhance your own to make you rich is to eventually short change yourself , because one cannot purchase richness, they need to earn it , not matter how they define the term.

Rich are people that can sustain themselves financially without help of others obviously

"My father once told me, 'I'm going to tell you what a rich man is. It's a man who has so many friends he can't count them all. That is a very rich man.' It took me awhile to realize it, but I'm a very rich man," Ralph Meacham

"Ralph Meacham of the Garrison community has ALS, which is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. But that doesn't stop him from telling stories, as he does with dog Lillie May by his side on his front porch Wednesday. This Saturday, the first Ralph Meacham Story Tellin' Event will draw well-known storytellers from across the country to benefit the ALS Foundation and the Ralph Meacham Hope Scholarship Fund for 4-H."

My point is that someone may have a million dollars and to you and I while they may be wealthy financially but are they rich? It does depend on your definition. If that person with a million dollars has two million in debt and you measure it only by wealth then they may not be so rich after all. I have always thought that someone who was rich didn't measure it by their bank accounts but by family and friends.

Rich Definition:

possessing material wealth
having an abundant supply of desirable qualities or substances
of great worth or quality

define:rich - Google Search

The term rich is often applied these days to people of great material wealth, some see it as a sign of evil or sign that the person gained that wealth upon the suffering of others. I submit that the term "rich" has a meaning depending on how you define it. Take for example, my own grandfather, who with little education and even less material wealth was the "richest" man I have ever met. You know why?, because of his devotion to his family and friends, he was constantly surrounded by those that loved him and cared for him making him as rich as any person can ever be. Many use the term to define others, as a bad term, but we all have people in our family like my grandfather at one time or the other or know of one. Material wealth could not buy what these people have and had, it was purchased through their own ability to repect and love those around them, but in the end it was earned and not given. I have said this many times on this board but,when looking to your neighbor for their wealth to enhance your own to make you rich is to eventually short change yourself , because one cannot purchase richness, they need to earn it , not matter how they define the term.

Being a so-called liberal I agree whole-heartedly with this. Material wealth is not nearly as important to living a meaningful, happy life as having love, friendship, peace, and helping others. How anyone can agree with this opinion and still waste their youth and the opportunities to spend time with their friends and loved ones or helping others by trying to get rich baffles me. And the more one votes Republican the more they reduce their chances of achieving material wealth (unless they already have it) and the more they go against having the opportunities to enjoy their youth, their friends, family, and doing the things they really love to do or helping others. The rich don't want more rich people - the want to keep their wealth - away from everyone including other Republicans.

Being a so-called liberal I agree whole-heartedly with this. Material wealth is not nearly as important to living a meaningful, happy life as having love, friendship, peace, and helping others. How anyone can agree with this opinion and still waste their youth and the opportunities to spend time with their friends and loved ones or helping others by trying to get rich baffles me. And the more one votes Republican the more they reduce their chances of achieving material wealth (unless they already have it) and the more they go against having the opportunities to enjoy their youth, their friends, family, and doing the things they really love to do or helping others. The rich don't want more rich people - the want to keep their wealth - away from everyone including other Republicans.

I would contend though the flaw in your argument and in many others though Colorado respectfully is the blanket assumption that just Republicans are bent on reducing the chances for achieving material wealth. IMHO if you look at the the recent economic issues facing our nation there is plenty of blame to go around both republican and democrat. Wealth knows no party and I submit there are just as many wealthy democrats as there are Republicans and I am sure Mr. Soros would likely be a good example of that. Now if your talking about about policies, then well that is always where the disagreements are and have been for many years. However, at least in my mind someone who is rich is never meausred by the size of their bank account. I know many wealthy people who are miserably poor.

Well, Navy, you're right in many ways, both Dems and the GOP are at fault for a lot of things. Which is why I am neither one nor the other. I don't necessarily like the Democratic party, but I vote against the GOP - unless they have an idea that isn't bad, though I can't think of one. On the other hand, I can think of many which were and are terrible.

Forum List

Back