What is really going on with the economy

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism is a 2007 book by Canadian journalist Naomi Klein.

The book and film argue that the free market policies of Nobel Laureate Milton Friedman and the Chicago School of Economics have risen to prominence in countries such as Chile under Pinochet, Russia under Yeltsin, the United States (for example in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina), and the privatization of Iraq's economy under the Coalition Provisional Authority not because they were democratically popular, but because they were pushed through while the citizens of these countries were in shock from disasters or upheavals. It is also claimed that these shocks are in some cases, such as the Falklands war, created with the intention of being able to push through these unpopular reforms in the wake of the crisis.

The Shock Doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just read Bush's comments from yesterday:

President Bush warned Tuesday that failing to pass a financial rescue plan would bring severe consequences to the U.S. economy. “Congress must act,” he declared in an appeal that both presidential candidates echoed.
In brief remarks at the White House, Bush warned that, “if our nation continues on this course, the economic damage will be painful and lasting.”
Bush noted that the maximum $700 billion in the proposed bailout was huge, but was dwarfed by the $1 trillion in lost wealth that resulted from Monday’s stock-market plunge.
(THEN BAIL US OUT GEORGE) (HOW ABOUT A BILL THAT WILL ACTUALLY WORK GEORGE)
“Because the government would be purchasing troubled assets and selling them once the market recovers,” he said, “it is likely that many of the assets would go up in value over time. Ultimately, we expect that much - if not all - of the tax dollars we invest will be paid back.”
(JUST LIKE IRAQ WOULD PAY FOR ITSELF, RIGHT GEORGE? FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON….WELL, THE POINT IS YOU AINT GONNA FOOL ME AGAIN)
The Arizona Republican said that “Americans are frightened right now” and it is the job of political leaders to give them both an immediate solution and a longer-term approach to the problem.
(OH, SO NOW JOHN WANTS THE GOVERNMENT INVOLVED? I’M NOT GOING TO FORGET HOW WRONG JOHN AND GEORGE HAVE BEEN. YOU CAN, BUT I CAN’T.)
Bush: ?Painful and lasting? economic damage - Economy in Turmoil - MSNBC.com
“I recognize this is a difficult vote for members of Congress,” Bush said. “And I understand that. But the reality is we are in an urgent situation and the consequences will grow worse each day if we do not act.”
Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson emerged after the vote and warned of a credit crunch that would affect American businesses and said families would find it harder to get student loans and car loans.
“We need to work as quickly as possible,” he said gravely. “We need to get something done.”

And you titled this thread 'what is really go on with the economy'?

This will be hard analogy to draw, but you know how you said in the other thread those who don't recognize the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. Well you're kind of like that. Those that can't see their own warped sense of reality are destined to forever live in a warped sense of reality.

Last edited:
thats probably not ironic as fuck coming from a free market capitalist.

This will be hard analogy to draw, but you know how you said in the other thread those who don't recognize the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. Well you're kind of like that. Those that can't see their own warped sense of reality are destined to forever live in a warped sense of reality.

If Bush isn't bullshitting, then what are the Republicans doing not signing this bill? He says our 401k's are in jeopordy and a GREAT DEPRESSION will fall down on us. Is he lying or wrong? That's pretty harsh words for a guy who was optimistic just 1 month ago. And he said they were working on this for 2 months. So now why does it have to be signed in a day? He waited till the last hour to force it down our throats? Why didn't he give them more of a heads up?

So you see that the GOP used the exact same tactic to bully/rush us into Iraq, and they were wrong/lied, and now you don't think they are wrong/lying again?

What the fuck is wrong with you? They do this before every election. Including midterms this will be 5 times they were wrong about the end of the world coming and somehow milked us for over a trillion dollars when you add it all up.

So yes, you forgot what they did in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, and you will forget the real truth about what is happening now. Dumb fuck!!!

Read Naomi Kleins book and then judge. You are so ignorant.

If Bush isn't bullshitting, then what are the Republicans doing not signing this bill? He says our 401k's are in jeopordy and a GREAT DEPRESSION will fall down on us. Is he lying or wrong? That's pretty harsh words for a guy who was optimistic just 1 month ago. And he said they were working on this for 2 months. So now why does it have to be signed in a day? He waited till the last hour to force it down our throats? Why didn't he give them more of a heads up?

So you see that the GOP used the exact same tactic to bully/rush us into Iraq, and they were wrong/lied, and now you don't think they are wrong/lying again?

Small problem with Klein's theory. It implies orchestration of events, rather than reacting to them. Has Bush proven himself to be the best decision maker in the world in times of crisis? Definately not. Is this some nefarious right wing conspiracy? No.

Here is a Bush Republican trying to scare you:

In the Senate, Sen. Lamar Alexander pleaded for passage of the bill, saying if it does not there is "a real risk that credit will freeze and Americans will not be able to get car, student, auto, mortgage, or farm credit loans – or even to cash their paychecks.”

“Next week can fix the blame. Today we should unclog the economic highway and fix the immediate problem to make sure Americans can buy homes and cars and houses, go to college, get farm credit loans, and cash their payroll checks.”

Here is a Bush Republican trying to scare you:

In the Senate, Sen. Lamar Alexander pleaded for passage of the bill, saying if it does not there is "a real risk that credit will freeze and Americans will not be able to get car, student, auto, mortgage, or farm credit loans – or even to cash their paychecks.”

“Next week can fix the blame. Today we should unclog the economic highway and fix the immediate problem to make sure Americans can buy homes and cars and houses, go to college, get farm credit loans, and cash their payroll checks.”

It's possible. Read some of the headlines today on the extent that credit is being tightened.

Small problem with Klein's theory. It implies orchestration of events, rather than reacting to them. Has Bush proven himself to be the best decision maker in the world in times of crisis? Definately not. Is this some nefarious right wing conspiracy? No.

You still think he just got it wrong on the wmd thing? Despite all the facts of him planning the invasion of Iraq long before 9-11, Downing Street memos, etc? Where is the cucko thing?

You think all these things happen just before every election?

You think it's just a coincidence one of McCain's advisors is a lobbyist for Georgia and Rove took a trip to Georgia 2 months before they had the conflict with Russia?

You are a tool then. This is why they are able to steal elections. Sheeple.

It's possible. Read some of the headlines today on the extent that credit is being tightened.

Oh sure they will carry through on their promises and shut this economy down. Just like a Union has the balls to walk off the job.

They even said in PNAC that they would need a Pearl Harbor type incident to push their radical agenda and god damn if Bush ignored the warnings before 9-11 and god damn if Chaney didn't have control of Norad so the airforce couldn't shoot the planes down so they could finish their mission.

Wake the fuck up people. Yea, I'm a nut. No, you are dumb fucks. They scared you into voting for Bush in 2004 too. If Kerry won, the terrorists would strike again. Terror level orange!!! Booo!!! LOL. You're just too embarrassed to think you got played. Conned. Fooled. You aren't smarter than the average person.

Your independent friend = :iagree:

Here fuckface, look at the headlines in MSN money:

Members of Congress shocked the world today by voting down legislation aimed at resolving the U.S. credit crisis, evidently determining that it was far from the comprehensive rescue plan that its promoters claimed and instead was just a handout to fatcats. Investors responded by throwing a fit, punching the Dow Jones Industrials Average down 778 points.

Is he suggesting that the promoters of this bailout are not being genuine? Really? Me too. Is he saying that the bill won't work and it will only help fat cats? Really, that's what I say. And is he suggesting the bankers on wallstreet are throwing a fit because they didn't get their $700 billion?

Then it is true that this is just the biggest bank heist in American history, and you are dumb to not see it. And you are dumb if now you look back on the start of the Iraq war and don't see you were lied to there too.

I want to make sure you read this too. What does this story from MSN money tell you?

Members of Congress shocked the world today by voting down legislation aimed at resolving the U.S. credit crisis, evidently determining that it was far from the comprehensive rescue plan that its promoters claimed and instead was just a handout to fatcats. Investors responded by throwing a fit, punching the Dow Jones Industrials Average down 778 points.

Who are it's promoters? Why is Bush rushing garbage by us and scaring us into signing it? Where did the $700 billion figure come from?

See, what they do is scare the fuck out of us and then we are easily fooled into buying into any plan they show us. Not this time, thank god. Enough of you have woken up. Not you though.

Sealybobo, no need to waste your time. You will never convince me. I will never convince you.

Here fuckface, look at the headlines in MSN money:

Is he suggesting that the promoters of this bailout are not being genuine? Really? Me too. Is he saying that the bill won't work and it will only help fat cats? Really, that's what I say. And is he suggesting the bankers on wallstreet are throwing a fit because they didn't get their $700 billion?

Then it is true that this is just the biggest bank heist in American history, and you are dumb to not see it. And you are dumb if now you look back on the start of the Iraq war and don't see you were lied to there too.

Sealybobo, no need to waste your time. You will never convince me. I will never convince you.

When they do it again and again, eventually you'll catch on.

It's like the Detroit Piston's. My buddy said Chauncey Billups was throwing Playoff games and I didn't believe him. So, the next series I see Chauncey throwing up airballs, turning the ball over, charging, blatant stupid fouls, missing layups.

This is Mr. Big Shot! And for the past 4 years I've been telling people and each year they doubt me a little less. It is odd for mr. big shot to make all those mistakes right when the game is on the line.

And this Ref. Dougherty kind of helped my cause. When it came out he was cheating, people doubted me even less.

Well read Naomi Klein's book before you judge it. And start listening to Air America. I listen to Rush and watch Fox. You should give me the same courtesy of knowing both sides. But you don't.

I want to make sure you read this too. What does this story from MSN money tell you?

Who are it's promoters? Why is Bush rushing garbage by us and scaring us into signing it? Where did the $700 billion figure come from?

See, what they do is scare the fuck out of us and then we are easily fooled into buying into any plan they show us. Not this time, thank god. Enough of you have woken up. Not you though.

For the record I am not for the bailout, not in it's current form anyway. I'm just not a conspiracy theorist. Best to know someones actual position before you lump them into someone elses.

Today's trading:

Symbol Company Last Chng. % Chng. Volume $ Traded

WB Wachovia Corp 3.50 +1.66 +90.22% 422,917,923 $1,480,212,731

NCC National City Corporation 1.75 +0.39 +28.68% 211,522,596 $370,164,543

C Citigroup, Inc 20.51 +2.76 +15.55% 111,817,123 $2,293,369,193

AIG American International Group, Inc 3.33 +0.83 +33.20% 108,892,406 $362,611,712

IWM iShares:Russ 2000 Idx 68.00 +2.95 +4.53% 105,935,035 $7,203,582,380

BAC Bank Of America Corporation 35.00 +4.75 +15.70% 78,227,961 $2,737,978,635

EEM iShares:MSCI Emerg Mkt 34.17 +2.56 +8.10% 77,621,861 $2,652,338,990

FNM Fannie Mae 1.53 +0.04 +2.68% 76,991,905 $117,797,615

GE General Electric Company 25.50 +2.40 +10.39% 75,446,566 $1,923,887,433

SOV Sovereign Bancorp Inc 3.95 +1.62 +69.53% 72,810,958 $287,603,284

JPM JPMorgan Chase & Co 46.70 +5.70 +13.90% 66,392,721 $3,100,540,071

PFE Pfizer Inc 18.44 +0.79 +4.48% 65,002,228 $1,198,641,084

FRE Freddie Mac 1.71 -0.09 -5.00% 59,933,667 $102,486,571

WFC Wells Fargo & Company 37.53 +4.28 +12.87% 46,465,071 $1,743,834,115

T AT&T Inc 27.92 +0.17 +0.61% 45,694,255 $1,275,783,600

S Sprint Nextel Corporation 6.10 0 0.00% 42,737,059 $260,696,060