What is Race, anyway?

I'm not sure that looking at the tails of the curve is the most meaningful place to look.

the Armed Forces gives everyone an IQ-type test. they also test proficiency in many areas. there is a direct positive relationship between intelligence and performance. the AF has a cuttoff of about IQ90 which disqualifies more than half of blacks and about a third of whites. thats why there are less racial disparities in the Armed Forces, they are prescreened for intelligence. once on purpose in the Vietnam era and once accidentally in the 90's, recruits were let in under the cutoff with dismal results. the proficiency testing in many areas has been especially useful because it has been broken down into such small and basic components that it is a simple pass/fail mark rather than a supervisor's opinion. this has taken racism out of the testing but not racial disparity out of the results. simply put- the average black IQ tends to bunch up in the low-to-mid 90's and the white IQ tends to bunch up around 105. and whites end up with more technologically difficult jobs and higher proficiency rankings.

I was trying to compare blacks from different cultures to blacks in the US in order to look at the potential for blacks as a race. I dont think that black culture in the US is rewarding academic acheivers as other black cultures do elsewhere around the world.

Dont know why that is, but for the last twenty years I have heard one anecdotal story after another of smart young blacks hiding their intelligence by underperforming, or getting beat up for 'acting white' because they did well in school, etc. Then their is this whole bad boy rap image thing that is pushed on blacks by entertainment media.

Not being an American black, I can only guess about what the influences might be, but seeing how well blacks do in other countries that dont suffer from the situation here suggests that there are other factors than merely racial genetics.

try googling Ogbu's research on Shaker Heights. it discusses a bunch of aspects on why blacks underachieve academically

oh, and other countries have very similar problems with black subpopulations, especially in education

Race is a political tool for Democrats, despots, and Dictators.

Well, that is a bit cynical and focused primarily on how it is used today.

Historically it was a broadening of a term that essentially meant 'ethnicity'. I remember reading Ben Franklin asserting that Germans were a non-white race that would ruin the blood of American citizenry.

I think it came to mean what we take it to mean today as a part of a rationalization for Europe's dominance over the rest of the globe in the late 1800's. It was also a useful tool for progressives to advance workers interests by asserting something along the lines of 'We may not be blue bloods, but at least we are white.' That sort of thing.

In my opinion, we are all the same race, every one of us. We are "the human race". We come from the same stock. Separating people into racial groups is a political tool, nothing more.

A perfect example is the Rwandan Genocide- the Tutsi and Hutu are the same people! Yet they perceived a difference, planted in their minds by politicians and leaders, and murdered hundreds of thousands of because of it.

A perfect example is the Rwandan Genocide- the Tutsi and Hutu are the same people! Yet they perceived a difference, planted in their minds by politicians and leaders, and murdered hundreds of thousands of because of it.
Like the Bloods and Crips

Race-Caucoid, Negroid, Mongaloid, Pacific Islander, Native American

Ethnicity is how the above identify themselves. For example, Latinos may call themselves Hispanic or even they may say "I'm Spanish." Really though, they are just white people.

Speaking of, I'm going to start claiming some cool ethnicity. I'm tired of being just a white guy.

When I was 10 I claimed I was from the planet Yun-ger.

But I don't think I got so far as to come up with an adjective to describe myself.

I have more in common with a Kenyan than a Lassa Opsa has in common with a Poodle.

(Ok, I plagiarized that from P.J. O'Rourke.)

American whites have more in common with American blacks than American whites have with whites in the Czech Republic when one considers culture, religion and ways of thinking.

Culture counts for far more than does race when trying to understand behavior and preferences.

So you are agreeing that race does not matter. No problem.

Now let's talk politics...

I would probably agree more with the president of the Czech Republic on economic policy than I would agree with the leaders of the US council of economic advisors. They are morons.

When I was 10 I claimed I was from the planet Yun-ger.

But I don't think I got so far as to come up with an adjective to describe myself.

Let me guess. Your mother was from 'Yun-ger' and your father was from 'Ol-dar'.

The Human Race is Humanity.

All other categories are simply Humanities variations on a single theme.

I would probably agree more with the president of the Czech Republic on economic policy than I would agree with the leaders of the US council of economic advisors. They are morons.

This dismissive attitude toward ideological opponents worries me as much as racism does. When we cant understand each other due to totally different sets of altruisms/priorities/values, have different conotations to key buzz words and have completely seperate sources for what is perceived as valid authoritative fact bundling for the public, then I get the uneasy feeling that we are heading toward first internal schism and then disunion.

The left is not entirely right or wrong, nor is the right. People who rise to prominent positions are not possibly morons. They simply disagree with you and using the word 'moron' is just hyperbole and meant to shut down rational discussion.

We all need to back off this type of thing, but the press loves it because it draws readers/viewers and sells ad time.

For the sake of our country we need to stop this kind of thing.

Now, many of these people are highly educated fools, true, but neither ideological side has a monoploy or dearth of such fools. On the left they are libtards and on the right they are publicans, but they are in both camps.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back