What is Race, anyway?

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by JimBowie1958, Oct 20, 2011.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    Seriously, is it all about skin color? If so, I have seen a lot of whites that are darker than many blacks, Orientals lighter than whites and others of that group darker than blacks. Dravidians are caucasian, by many racial classifications, but the theories vary as to how many races there actually are, with Polynesians and Amerindians being mentioned by some as seperate races.

When a person tries to classify things into groups on a rational basis, it is important to show that the defining characteristics legitimately draw clear distinctions between the classifications. It should have less variation within the classification and greater variation between its members and the members of other classifications. It also should be a useful classification.

If one were to classify cars by the color of their paint-job instead of their make and model, it would be realized from the start that it would be absurd for almost any practical situation.

And yet we look at the shades of skin color that exist in all races and it becomes plain that race is not a valid classification biologically since the variations between races is less than the variation within races.

Skin color does not give us the variation between classifications that exists within racial classifications, as noted above. In fact no biological factor has the needed variability regarding race.

The only reason we cling to these out-dated notions is because the government forces us to due to the group oriented nature of Identity politics and ideology.

Is'nt it time we moved on from these silly concepts that were spawned by the accident of history that Europeans got to the Industrial Revolution first?

Hasnt there been enough hate and blood spilled over this bullshit enough already?

2. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    "Race" is an anagram of "care".

3. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,851
    Race is a political tool for Democrats, despots, and Dictators.

4. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    Well, that is a bit cynical and focused primarily on how it is used today.

Historically it was a broadening of a term that essentially meant 'ethnicity'. I remember reading Ben Franklin asserting that Germans were a non-white race that would ruin the blood of American citizenry.

I think it came to mean what we take it to mean today as a part of a rationalization for Europe's dominance over the rest of the globe in the late 1800's. It was also a useful tool for progressives to advance workers interests by asserting something along the lines of 'We may not be blue bloods, but at least we are white.' That sort of thing.

5. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    race is determined by the genetic inheritance of groups of related alleles that were a response to environmental conditions in the continental origins.

skin colour is an outward signal of race, not a cause.

6. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,921
    I would like to see some pictures of this:cuckoo:

7. Rat in the Hat

Rat in the Hat Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,215
    He'll be back to post them when he finishes his trip to Fantasy island. :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    What world do you guys live in that you laugh at someone who says that there are "whites" with darker skin than some people of other ethnicities? as if you haven't met anyone like that?

My family comes from very dark European stock. Dark-skinned Germans and dark-skinned French.

As a young veteran medic in the late 50's my father applied for a job at an Indian (native American) hospital in Oklahoma. During the interview his would-be boss said they had been having trouble finding qualified people of native American descent and so he was glad my father had applied. It was then that my father learned that the job was only for native Americans. The hospital administrator hadn't even thought to ask my father's ethnicity because he was so dark and was also blessed with, er, 'strong' facial features.

In one small Texas town after one night of too much fun he was arrested for public drunk. When they found out he was white and not Mexican they let him go. But apparently my folks decided that between the prejudice and the arrest we were not likely to do well in that town, so we moved away only three months after we got there.

On another occasion, a Jewish man walked up to him and started talking Yiddish to him.

In other words, my dad is about the most ethnic looking white guy you could ever meet and it's coz he was 3/8 German and 1/8 French Canadian.

I have a nice olive tone. With a little boost from the sun, I was easily darker than most of my companions growing up. And without even needing any sunshine, I was easily darker than many Asians whom I met in grad school.

But you've never seen anyone like that? Sure.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  9. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Its not impossible, some Italians and Sicilians can be dark complected.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,867
    It is a term stupid people use when they really mean 'culture,' and a term cowards use to hide beind because they fear pretty much everything.