What is our purpose in life?

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
If our only reason for being is to strive for everlasting life in heaven, how can we derive meaning and purpose out of this life?

Last edited:
You and you alone determine your purpose.

Personally I do not believe in the afterlife.

Last edited:
You and you alone determine your purpose.

Persoanlly I do not believe in the afterlife.
I find it difficult to believe in an afterlife. I simply cannot grasp the concept of forever…never to end.

the OuterWorld of the Everlasting is where we came from and may return, or not - the Everlasting is Eternal, the Spirit may survive for however long it is able to.

And who said that our only purpose in life was to strive for everlasting life after death?

This thread belongs in philosophy. It's not about religion.

If our only reason for being is to strive for everlasting life after death, how can we derive meaning and purpose out of this life?

You are making a false assumption that striving for everlasting life after death is the only reason for life.

Life itself is a reason (personally, I believe self aware life is the universe's way of understanding itself). So, making the most of one's life HERE ON EARTH is a perfectly valid purpose.

From a Christian standpoint, it seems our only purpose for being is in the service of God and our behavior in this life determines our destiny in the next.

It was not my intention to be philosophical. I was speaking of heaven.

Your question isn't about heaven, or religion. It's about the purpose of life in the absence of heaven, and God.

Which is a philosophical discussion.

Forum List

Back