What is our obligation to the poor?

I think it is a big mistake to think that Jesus would not support a We the People democratic majority using government to make our country and its people better.
Not if the end result was to destroy the spirit of man.

"...We have here a human as well as an economic problem. When humane considerations are concerned, Americans give them precedence. The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fibre. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit...."

Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1 - Annual Message to Congress, January 4, 1935

Teach the poor to read.English...Provide the books. NON fiction.....abolish Television, "organized religion",military, and video games from the face of the earth.
Poor becomes history over 30-50 years or so.A thing of the past.The current human condition is akin to leprosy.......of the mind......
The Khmer Rouge abolished all religion and dispersed minority groups, forbidding them to speak their languages or to practice their customs. These policies had been implemented in less severe forms for many years prior to the Khmer Rouge's taking power.

Ive been thinking about it this morning and I was wondering what our obligation to the poor is. Im not talking about what we should outsource to the government or what the government should do. But what do we as individuals have a responsibility to do?

I keep thinking of the words of a hymn:

"We'll go to the poor like our Captain of old. And visit the weary, the hungry, and cold. We'll cheer up their hearts with the news that he bore and point them to Zion and life evermore."

I believe we as individuals have a duty and privilege to serve the poor. And that when we try to outsource those responsibilities to the government and to others, than we fail to give and recieve the blessings we could otherwise have.

What do you think?
Ok for openers, this is a really old 5 year old thread.

Ive been thinking about it this morning and I was wondering what our obligation to the poor is. Im not talking about what we should outsource to the government or what the government should do. But what do we as individuals have a responsibility to do?

"We'll go to the poor like our Captain of old. And visit the weary, the hungry, and cold. We'll cheer up their hearts with the news that he bore and point them to Zion and life evermore."

I believe we as individuals have a duty and privilege to serve the poor. And that when we try to outsource those responsibilities to the government and to others, than we fail to give and recieve the blessings we could otherwise have.

What do you think?
I think the poor need to try to not be poor. Or if you are poor and have kids your goal should be to get your kids out of poverty. Which means they shouldn't have kids till they are no longer poor.

The next generation of poor chose to be poor. They did it to themselves. No reason a person has to be poor in America unless he or she has children.

You wrote this 5 years ago. Anyone poor who read this back then, what have they done in the last 5 years to better themselves?
Ok sealybobo it looks like you are the one resurrecting it again.

You wrote this 5 years ago. Anyone poor who read this back then, what have they done in the last 5 years to better themselves?
Ok sealybobo , looks like you are conducting a survey of the poor.

Do you think the poor have internet access in their tents in their clusters ??

Is that what you think ?!

I'll start by listing the 7 major thinking systems in this world. They are:

1 - pure philosophers (who have other jobs as well to support themselves)

2 - pure scientists (who are not interested in Philosophy or Religion at all and do not think about either of the other systems)

3 - Theists (who believe God watches over them)

4 - Deists (who believe God exists but is distant from them and they are therefore on their own)

5 - Atheists (who believe there is no God anywhere in the Universe)

6 - Agnostics (who do not know what to believe about God -- they want a sign first)

7 - Science as a religion (these people believe The Big Bang created itself without a God).

Philosophers, theists, and deists will feel some sort of obligation to help the poor to the extent that they themselves can help them. Philosophers, theists, and deists are loaded with ethical systems of belief which place a heavy burden upon themselves to do what is "good" or "better" or "best". These are philosophical issues, but they have also crept into Religion.

Atheists, agnostics, and science/religionists (science as a religion) will not be burdened by ethics since ethics is a philosophical issue alone. Instead they will do whatever they want, and if they feel helping the poor is too big a burden on them they will simply ignore the problem of poverty in society.

So you are what you think. Not just what you eat.

obligation to feed the poor.
What do you think?
Personally, I feel an obligation to feed the poor. I've walked a mile or two in their shoes.I know how it is. All help is appreciated, but pride can make them pretend like they don't want help.

Go to a homeless camp and leave a couple buckets of KFC. Grab a leg and walk away. Biscuits, gravy, smashed potatoes, corn... the whole shebang.

It feels good when you've performed a good deed.

Personally, I feel an obligation to feed the poor. I've walked a mile or two in their shoes.I know how it is. All help is appreciated, but pride can make them pretend like they don't want help.

Go to a homeless camp and leave a couple buckets of KFC. Grab a leg and walk away. Biscuits, gravy, smashed potatoes, corn... the whole shebang.

It feels good when you've performed a good deed.
So you are a lot like Bertrand Russell then -- and atheist with feelings.

The Khmer Rouge abolished all religion and dispersed minority groups, forbidding them to speak their languages or to practice their customs. These policies had been implemented in less severe forms for many years prior to the Khmer Rouge's taking power.
Off topic.

Not if the end result was to destroy the spirit of man.

"...We have here a human as well as an economic problem. When humane considerations are concerned, Americans give them precedence. The lessons of history, confirmed by the evidence immediately before me, show conclusively that continued dependence upon relief induces a spiritual and moral disintegration fundamentally destructive to the national fibre. To dole out relief in this way is to administer a narcotic, a subtle destroyer of the human spirit...."

Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1 - Annual Message to Congress, January 4, 1935
More off topic.

Agreed. It is not virtuous if one is forced to be virtuous. Nor has throwing money over a fence been proven to help his neighbor at all. Far from it... it destroys the spirit of man. Even FDR admitted to this.
You must be complaining about being forced to pay taxes.

Also off topic.

It would make more sense for you ding to stay on topic and simply conclude and say that since your taxes takes care of the poor then you don't have any other obligation to help them at all.

Is that way you are alluding to ?!

Off topic.
lol, you are worried about me being off topic on a five year old thread?

Likkmee made a comment in post # 100, ~ 1.5hrs ago, proposing a solution for the OP to abolish religion. You ever hear of point - counter point? It was on topic, dumbass. Pull your stick out of your ass and get over yourself already.

Agreed. It is not virtuous if one is forced to be virtuous. Nor has throwing money over a fence been proven to help his neighbor at all. Far from it... it destroys the spirit of man. Even FDR admitted to this.

Also off topic.

It would make more sense for you ding to stay on topic and simply conclude and say that since your taxes takes care of the poor then you don't have any other obligation to help them at all.

No. I am disagreeing with the solution, dumbass. You ever hear of the concept of subsidiarity?

And no, it was not off topic. Pull your stick out of your ass and get over yourself already. Are you still carrying that girl? I left her at the stream.

Subsidiarity (Catholicism) - Wikipedia

Also off topic.

No. I am disagreeing with the solution, dumbass. You ever hear of the concept of subsidiarity?

And no, it was not off topic. Pull your stick out of your ass and get over yourself already. Are you still carrying that girl? I left her at the stream.

What a nasty apostate Catholic boy you are, boy.

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Nice drawing though.

Off topic.

Likkmee made a comment in post # 100, ~ 1.5hrs ago, proposing a solution for the OP to abolish religion. You ever hear of point - counter point? It was on topic, dumbass. Pull your stick out of your ass and get over yourself already.
You could have pointed out that abolishing religion is off topic.

The topic is our obligation to the poor.

And you are therefore feeding the troll.

Wash your mouth out with soap, you apostate Catholic boy.

Also off topic.

What a nasty apostate Catholic boy you are, boy.

Wash your mouth out with soap.

Nice drawing though.

I don't claim to be a saint. You shouldn't be surprised to get a fight when you go looking for one.

What do you think?

Doesn't make much difference what you believe. The facts are:

1) There are over 900,000,000 in the world who are dying from starvation or suffering from malnutrition...mostly children

2) Church folks drop by for an hour and a half a week and leave their money which is used for preacher's homes and salaries, travel expenses, oak or mahagony pews, building maintenance or expansion, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, stained glass, steeples, youth programs, missionaries who travel to other countries with the precise purpose of changing their culture. They leave there feeling good and believing they have done their part.

Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell what he had and give it to the poor. He was saddened to hear it.
Making up a number does not lend any kind of credence to a hate diatribe against religion. If you feel you have to make things up to prove an opinion, then it is time for you to reevaluate that opinion.

Off topic.

You could have pointed out that abolishing religion is off topic.

The topic is our obligation to the poor.

And you are therefore feeding the troll.

Wash your mouth out with soap, you apostate Catholic boy.
It seems that your solution to meeting our obligation to the poor is a state solution. That hasn't been shown to work. In fact, it has been shown to make matters worse. Your state solution destroys the spirit of man. Subsidiarity ennobles the spirit of man.

Forum List

Back