What Is Obama's Religion?

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
Is Obama a Muslim, or is he a member of the United Church of Christ? I would really find it intersting if he is a member of UCC, but the media has created the idea that he is a Muslim by faith.

Anyone good data to prove either side?

He's been a member of the UCC for decades now. There are dual forces putting out the Obama's a Muslim vibe, his political opponents (and this is straight out of the Clinton playbook, Karl Rove could not handle a candle to them for sheer deviousness) and the globalized media which is trying to portray him as a savior of America. In reality, were he at any time a Muslim, he would be considered by many Muslims to be an apostate of the faith and subject to death.

very interesting. It seems to be working.

One of the people I work with who is quite intelligent, but not that much on following politics, said she has concerns about his being a Muslim.

It will be intereting when I tell her that he is UCC, if she is willing to look it up or if she will stay with the sound bites.

Is Obama a Muslim, or is he a member of the United Church of Christ? I would really find it intersting if he is a member of UCC, but the media has created the idea that he is a Muslim by faith.

Barack Obama has put his religion back into the headlines, trumpeting the power and salvation of faith and asking a church audience in South Carolina to help him become “an instrument of God” and join him in creating “a Kingdom right here on Earth."

But the Democratic contender's talk on Sunday of breaking down religious and political differences has some critics questioning the Illinois senator's own beliefs — and those of the man identified as his spiritual adviser — and whether his messages of spiritual inclusion and tolerance have remained consistent.

Obama has written and spoken about being inspired by the preaching of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., and his calls to “spur social change.” The title of Obama’s second book, “The Audacity of Hope,” which essentially launched his presidential bid, was taken from a sermon by Wright.

Baptized in Wright’s Trinity United Church of Christ, Obama has been an active member for two decades, regularly attending services with his family under Wright's spiritual mentorship.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300135,00.html

Not much on using Fox as a reference because it gets so many people's panties bunched up, but I figure for the purpose of answering your question, it'll do.

Obama's religion is the religion of all people: hope for a better future, and a better America. His religion is the belief in the power of the future, the power of our people to rise above the partisanship of years past, and the power, most of all, of love.

Obama's religion is the religion of all people: hope for a better future, and a better America. His religion is the belief in the power of the future, the power of our people to rise above the partisanship of years past, and the power, most of all, of love.
So that means you won't be voting for him, will you?

:D

This article is supposedly based on info directly from Obama's church site - not your ordinary everyday Christian church:

Obama’s Afrocentric, Racist, Bush-Hating Church

As readers here know, there has been some recent controversy about Barack Obama’s religious background.

Mr. Obama has recently issued statements through his spokesmen in the media (i.e., reporters) which express his shock at being questioned about such things.

Most of his media spokesmen (i.e., reporters) have then gone on to cite his membership in Chicago’s Trinity United Church Of Christ parish as proof that he is just a regular run of the mill American Christian.

But a visit to the Trinity Church’s website proves that it is not your everyday Christian parish:

Trinity United Church of Christ

About Us

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian… Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family
4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a
10-point Vision:

1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

Some excerpts from the "Black Value System" via the Trinity Church’s website (pdf):

BLACK VALUE SYSTEM

Statement of Purpose

We honor Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, because of the exemplary manner in which he has thrice withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System…
The Black Value System

These Black Ethics must be taught and exampled in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect the following concepts:

Commitment of God

“The God of our weary years” will give us the strength to give up prayerful passivism and become Black Christian Activist, soldiers for Black freedom and the dignity of all humankind…

Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect

To accomplish anything worthwhile requires self-discipline. We must be a community of self-disciplined persons, if we are to actualize and utilize our own human resources instead of perpetually submitting to exploitation by others. Self discipline coupled with a respect for self, will enable each of us to be an instrument of Black Progress, and a model for Black Youth.

Disavowal of the Pursuit of “Middleclassness”

Classic methodology on control of captives teaches that captors must keep the captive ignorant educationally, but trained sufficiently well to serve the system. Also, the captors must be able to identify the “talented tenth” of those subjugated, especially those who show promise of providing the kind of leadership that might threaten the captor’s control.

Those so identified as separated from the rest of the people by:

• Killing them off directly, and/or fostering a social system that encourages them to kill off one another.
  • Placing them in concentration camps, and/or structuring an economic environment that induces captive youth to fill the jails and prisons.
  • Seducing them into a socioeconomic class system which while training them to earn more dollars, hypnotizes them into believing they are better than others and teaches them to think in terms of “we” and “they” instead of “us”…
…...

Where is the ACLU?

And can you imagine the uproar if a white candidate belonged to a church that promoted a white value system?

http://sweetness-light.com/archive/barack-obamas-church-ultra-left-and-afrocentric

I don't see why this thread got moved to the backwaters of the religion category. Obama's "religion" and beliefs are very pertinent to Politics and this year's Election.

and the fact that a UCC church in a black neighborhood in Chicago considers its particular ministry to be to that selfsame black community is no big surprise. The UCC tries very hard to involve itself in the spiritual lives of its members, and then moving outward to the surrounding community, and only then, to the wider nationwide and worldwide community of the faithful. Obama's church is all about self empowerment of blacks in Chicago... a community that had precious little self empowerment not so long ago.

and the fact that a UCC church in a black neighborhood in Chicago considers its particular ministry to be to that selfsame black community is no big surprise. The UCC tries very hard to involve itself in the spiritual lives of its members, and then moving outward to the surrounding community, and only then, to the wider nationwide and worldwide community of the faithful. Obama's church is all about self empowerment of blacks in Chicago... a community that had precious little self empowerment not so long ago.

Bullshit.

Why is it OK for blacks with Harvard Law degress to have "self empowerment" but any white who breathes in that direction gets their fucking head shot off by a federal sniper in the trees?

If I haven't mentioned it already,

Bullshit.

the majority of Obama's fellow UCC congregants do not have the same level of education. The church's mission has the congregation helping one another... and relying less on government assistance.

and man... I have to tell you that the hostility you feel towards african americans and jews is pretty fucking creepy.

and man... I have to tell you that the hostility you feel towards african americans and jews is pretty fucking creepy.

I'm sure it's easy to feel good about yourself up in Maine, where the population is whiter than in any other state, save perhaps Wyoming. Try working in the Bronx for a year and report back to us. To you I'm sure there's nothing "creepy" about a gang of blacks assaulting a white woman on the subway. That's just... what, civil rights in action?

In any event, hostility toward other groups does not come up in this thread. Rather, it's frustration over the fact that one group is completely excluded from having self-expression or unity, while all others are "allowed" to have it. What do you have to say about that?

I'm sure it's easy to feel good about yourself up in Maine, where the population is whiter than in any other state, save perhaps Wyoming. Try working in the Bronx for a year and report back to us. To you I'm sure there's nothing "creepy" about a gang of blacks assaulting a white woman on the subway. That's just... what, civil rights in action?

I doubt that my experiences equate to working in the Bronx. Yet, I’ve worked in a wide variety of environments. I’ve held white collar office jobs. I’ve held computer consultant jobs – earning over $90,000 per year. I was a geeky white ghost surrounded by similar people. I’ve also worked in filthy jobs. I scrubbed toilets in elementary schools where I made barely over minimum wage. I worked in chicken processing plants in south Texas where only 5 percent of my coworkers spoke English. I worked in similar assembly line work where 90 percent of the employees were black. In each and every job that I’ve had, I’ve never had problems with people of any race. Some of my best friends were Black. I had some cool times learning about what life is like from being around some classy Mexicans too. I don’t know why you come across as so racist and anti-Black and anti-Hispanic. I guess that it depends on your experiences and prejudices. Oh well. I just thought that I’d toss in my two cents.

Yes, it is creepy and wrong for a gang of Blacks to assault a white woman on the subway. It is basically wrong for anyone to assault anyone.

In any event, hostility toward other groups does not come up in this thread. Rather, it's frustration over the fact that one group is completely excluded from having self-expression or unity, while all others are "allowed" to have it. What do you have to say about that?

How is it that you have been completely excluded form having self-expression or unity while others are allowed to have it? Can you come up with a specific, clear-cut, concrete, objective example?

I "worked" for a quarter of a century in the US Navy which has a greater percentage of african americans than the general population. I lived for a year in Israel which has a hell of a lot higher percentage of Jews than any fucking place YOU have ever lived.

And... I have no problem if you want to celebrate your white-ness. go for it.

you are a racist bigot. you should quit tap dancing and just accept that fact. You don't like ******* or kikes. And they don't bother me in the least.

I "worked" for a quarter of a century in the US Navy which has a greater percentage of african americans than the general population. I lived for a year in Israel which has a hell of a lot higher percentage of Jews than any fucking place YOU have ever lived.

And... I have no problem if you want to celebrate your white-ness. go for it.

you are a racist bigot. you should quit tap dancing and just accept that fact. You don't like ******* or kikes. And they don't bother me in the least.

Why is it nobody is asking Obama about HIS religion? The media is always getting into it with the candidates and THEIR religions....but for some inexplicable reason they don't ask Obama about HIS religion. I think Obama's church and religion BEG some questioning....especially about the obvious racial aspects, the political aspects, and the stated allegiance to Africa.

Forum List

Back