What is Obama's definition of small business?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I really want to know what Obama means when he says he supports small business, so I want to know what he means when he says small business.

The SBA has this definition.

SBA defines a small business concern as one that is independently owned and operated, is organized for profit, and is not dominant in its field.

Does that make Southwest Airlines a small business?

It goes on to "narrow the definition by size.

[/quote]Depending on the industry, size standard eligibility is based on the average number of employees for the preceding twelve months or on sales volume averaged over a three-year period. Examples of SBA general size standards include the following:

• Manufacturing: Maximum number of employees may range from 500 to 1500, depending on the type of product manufactured;
  • Wholesaling: Maximum number of employees may range from 100 to 500 depending on the particular product being provided;
  • Services: Annual receipts may not exceed $2.5 to $21.5 million, depending on the particular service being provided;
  • Retailing: Annual receipts may not exceed $5.0 to $21.0 million, depending on the particular product being provided;
  • General and Heavy Construction: General construction annual receipts may not exceed $13.5 to $17 million, depending on the type of construction;
  • Special Trade Construction: Annual receipts may not exceed $7 million; and
  • Agriculture: Annual receipts may not exceed $0.5 to $9.0 million, depending on the agricultural product.

[/QUOTE]

What is SBA's definition of a small business concern? | SBA.gov

OK, Southwest is probably not a small business, but there is a lot of room for a company to make a lot of money, have a huge number of employees, and still be a small business. In fact, those numbers cover almost 95% of companies in the US. It also leaves a politician a lot of wiggle room when he claims he supports small business.

The real problem is that Obama is also arguing that anyone that makes over $200,000 a year needs to pay more in taxes. Given that that income directly impacts a lot of companies that are defined as small businesses. Is paying more in taxes something Obama actually thinks helps businesses?

Does anyone know what Obama means when he says those words? Is there an official dictionary that helps progressives understand him? Can I get a copy?

Small business is where the real job growth will come from. The huge companies make a big splash and hire 50,000 people but small businesses everywhere can hire 2 or 3 and make a bigger impact if the governmnet will stay out of the way. Obama doesn't know what a small business is because he has never started one or even worked at one.. We need business men in politics, not rich politicians and lobbyist.

I'd like to know what the rights definition is of Small Business.

What sucks is that Leftists feel the need to attack any of our wealth and job producers.

Whaa? I just asked what the right considered a small business and you hit the floor kicking and screaming about being attacked :confused:

Jeez, that seems to be the usual for you guys. Make up a narrative about what someone else wants the ask them to defend your strawman :eusa_eh:

What sucks is that Leftists feel the need to attack any of our wealth and job producers.

Whaa? I just asked what the right considered a small business and you hit the floor kicking and screaming about being attacked :confused:

Jeez, that seems to be the usual for you guys. Make up a narrative about what someone else wants the ask them to defend your strawman :eusa_eh:

I wasn't talking about your comment.

But there must be a reason you knee-jerked.

I wasn't talking about your comment.

But there must be a reason you knee-jerked.

Uh yeah, you quoted me :eusa_shifty:

The right is a bunch of people, no one can speak for all of them, unlike the left.

Oh gawd, So let me guess, you're saying the left vote in lockstep even tho it is the right who does it? Not only do they vote in lockstep some on the right see it as a virtue. See my signature.

While leaders aren’t whipping Members on some major votes — amendments to this week’s stopgap spending measure, for example — they have strongly tried to minimize defections on procedural matters and made it clear that unity is a priority.

“They wanted me to change my vote, but I told them I couldn’t do it,” said Rep. Walter Jones Jr., who noted that GOP leaders approached him on the House floor Jan. 26 after he voted in favor of a Democratic motion to recommit and tried to persuade him to change his mind.

The North Carolina Republican, who regularly breaks with his leadership, held his ground and became the first in his party to support a Democratic motion to recommit this year. So far, he and another frequent Republican defector, Rep. Ron Paul (Texas), are the only GOP lawmakers who have backed Democratic motions to recommit.

Republicans Face Pressure to Vote in Lock Step : Roll Call News

That took all of 30 seconds to find...but but...it doesnt happen.

In February, the House voted to block pending EPA regulations limiting emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases linked to global climate change; even the GOP members from districts that backed Obama in 2008 voted 59-2 for the bill. (Those were the only dissenting Republican votes.) In April, every voting House Republican (including all 61 from Obama districts) opted to overturn EPA's scientific finding that climate change posed a public-health threat. Two weeks ago, the Obama-district Republicans voted 56-4 to shelve EPA rules reducing pollution from coal-fired power plants; the 174 other GOP members who voted all backed the measure. Republicans are expected to produce similar numbers for this week's votes on cement plants and boilers.

In coalescing behind these measures, House Republicans from Democratic-leaning areas are behaving very differently from their mirror image: As many as 20 House Democrats, mostly from Republican-leaning areas, have usually broken with their party to support the antiregulatory proposals. The swing-district Republicans, many of them representing communities where hybrids outnumber pickups, are also placing a very different bet than the GOP lawmakers who represented such areas in the 1990s.

The Risks of Lockstep Voting

Took another 30 seconds...

The right is a bunch of people, no one can speak for all of them, unlike the left.

Oh gawd, So let me guess, you're saying the left vote in lockstep even tho it is the right who does it? Not only do they vote in lockstep some on the right see it as a virtue. See my signature.

what you said...and what you say in your signature makes it quite clear that you do not understand the conservative viewpoint.

I personally have found that the left "lobby" for what is convenient at the time. The left is constantly evolving (for good or bad) based on the times. I am not criticizing it. I respect it. Many on the left jump ahead of others and want a "change" others on the left do not realize is needed...so it can sometimes be a convoluited message.

The right...conservatives in particular...are deemed conservatives for a reason. They wish to conserve an exact ideology...again...for good or bad.

We can debate what is good and what is bad....butg an ideology is an ideology.

Conservatism does not sway much (it does a little).

Liberalism/progressivism evolves continually.

Jeez bro.....look at the definitions of conservative and progressive.

It really is not so hard to understand.

what you said...and what you say in your signature makes it quite clear that you do not understand the conservative viewpoint.

I personally have found that the left "lobby" for what is convenient at the time. The left is constantly evolving (for good or bad) based on the times. I am not criticizing it. I respect it. Many on the left jump ahead of others and want a "change" others on the left do not realize is needed...so it can sometimes be a convoluited message.

The right...conservatives in particular...are deemed conservatives for a reason. They wish to conserve an exact ideology...again...for good or bad.

Look, I know all of that. Thats why I'm confused when cons project their voting records onto dems like its a bad thing. Then when they find out it's the Cons that do it, they change and say it's a good thing

Look, I know all of that. Thats why I'm confused when cons project their voting records onto dems like its a bad thing. Then when they find out it's the Cons that do it, they change and say it's a good thing

it IS a good thing...for conservatives.

What confuses me with progressives is they will be against something...but then "see no problem" when Obama does it.

Many of us rallied AGAINST Bush when he started to push amnesty.

But Obama? WHere is code pink regarding his military actions...where are the "close GITMO" folks.....where are the Valerie Plame protesters in regard to military secrets leaks?

No..instead all I hear is..."he is the best president in our history"

No, I am saying no one can speak for the right. There are, however, posters on this board who claim to speak for the left. If you don't like that I suggest you take it up with them. To be fair, there are posters here who also claim to speak for the right, but the right seems to jump all over them whenever they make that claim.

While leaders aren’t whipping Members on some major votes — amendments to this week’s stopgap spending measure, for example — they have strongly tried to minimize defections on procedural matters and made it clear that unity is a priority.

“They wanted me to change my vote, but I told them I couldn’t do it,” said Rep. Walter Jones Jr., who noted that GOP leaders approached him on the House floor Jan. 26 after he voted in favor of a Democratic motion to recommit and tried to persuade him to change his mind.

The North Carolina Republican, who regularly breaks with his leadership, held his ground and became the first in his party to support a Democratic motion to recommit this year. So far, he and another frequent Republican defector, Rep. Ron Paul (Texas), are the only GOP lawmakers who have backed Democratic motions to recommit.
Republicans Face Pressure to Vote in Lock Step : Roll Call News

That took all of 30 seconds to find...but but...it doesnt happen.

And that never happens on the other side, does it. Except, of course, when it does. Anyone remember Obamacare?

Forum List

Back