What Is Libertarianism?

Libertarianism, a philosophy that eschews reality.

What Is Libertarianism?

Principles without a real world perspective?

great mimes...

mimes.jpg

IMO, Libertarianism and Marxism are flip sides of the same coin. They both require a basic shift in human nature to work. Marxists expect all to work for the common good, but some will always shirk their duty and the system collapses as fewer and fewer work. Libertarians expect all to work for themselves with little or no governmental interference, ignoring the fact that given a laissez-faire attitude some of the strong will inevitably prey on the weak. Given that these human attributes are unlikely to change in the near future, both systems are doomed to failure.

So despite the fact that I plainly say in the first post that I am not an anarchist, I am advocating anarchy?

You attack the social contract that is the foundation of all civilization. When there is no social contract, there is no civilization, no ethics, no laws, no society. There is only anarchy and chaos/
And because the libertarian does not believe in the right of a large group of people to force a smaller group of people to subsidize roads or libraries for them the libertarian is a mentally ill hermit in the mountains?

If the People choose to form such a government, then the Libertarian you describe has two options- join in or leave the group and live elsewhere, apart from society.

These are the implications of your ideology and the logical conclusions that must be drawn from your own words.

Mimes don't talk, don't you mean parrots?

Geat mimes think alike, parrots repeat ideological talking points like Libertarian platform.

Or they'd simply repeat one another without offering a real argument against libertarianism.

You attack the very foundation of civilized society and Dude insists noone builds or maintains the roads.

Nobody better argues against Libertarianism better than the Libertarians themselves.

The "core idea" is mindful of those who occupied the Haight-Ashbury forty years ago. Of course many who lived here then said they believed these things, as they preyed on those who actually did.
We may label each other with different words at different times and in different places, but human nature never changes.
There are takers and givers, we may call them Republicans or Democrats or Libertarians, but when reduced to their essence, individual human being are one or the other.

That is what Ayn Rand believed, but I disagree. People are essentially a combination of both, which can easily be seen if you examine human behavior after a disaster. Approximately 10% of the people will be looking to help others, no matter how bad their personal circumstances are. Another 10% will simply sit around and wait for help, no matter how well of they are relatively. The rest will work when asked.

If the incentives of society work properly the givers will be reinforced rather than the takers. This is the essence of the Biblical quote "if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat." What is happening today is that the taking is incenticized. This, as Obama likes to say, is unsustainable. Can anyone tell me what it is he is doing about the unsustainable problem? Other than talking about it.

Ayn Rand had her own cult and everything. I still don't know why certain Libertarians love her. I'm pretty sure Ron Paul and his son does, I could be wrong though. I know Ryan does, he passes her books out to his entire staff.

was Rand not named after Ayn?

IMO, Libertarianism and Marxism are flip sides of the same coin. They both require a basic shift in human nature to work. Marxists expect all to work for the common good, but some will always shirk their duty and the system collapses as fewer and fewer work. Libertarians expect all to work for themselves with little or no governmental interference, ignoring the fact that given a laissez-faire attitude some of the strong will inevitably prey on the weak. Given that these human attributes are unlikely to change in the near future, both systems are doomed to failure.

Humans survived for millennia just the from way you described. It wasn't until civilization started removing the right to bear arms from those people you label as weak that the strong was able to dominate the weak. Anyone who spends 12 hours a day working in the fields is anything but weak.

Ayn Rand had her own cult and everything. I still don't know why certain Libertarians love her. I'm pretty sure Ron Paul and his son does, I could be wrong though. I know Ryan does, he passes her books out to his entire staff.

:lol:

you missed that thread? I mentioned this and Paul followers went ballistic. Truth hurts. Paul's pa is a lunatic so he named his spawn after a lunatic. :lol:

you missed that thread? I mentioned this and Paul followers went ballistic. Truth hurts. Paul's pa is a lunatic so he named his spawn after a lunatic. :lol:

Ron Paul is also so stupid that he idolizes someone who would have nothing but contempt for him.

Ron Paul is also so stupid that he idolizes someone who would have nothing but contempt for him.

true dat.

Ron Paul is no John Gault.

[youtube]pM1I02eGHaE[/youtube]

a whole new generation of twisted intellects fighting the straw man.

they have no idea, Rand was mentally ill from growing where she did. She fought her boogey men in America. She never even won against a phantom enemy.

Actually, Kennedy, Anarchism is a form of libertarianism

Libertarians want few laws. Anarchist want none.

Finally, the issue of the social contract is an understanding between government and citizen. Without it, then no government is preferrable. Rights are not recognized under any government with out SC. The only difference is that it is the citizenry oppressing the citizenry.

Even if you see that a social contract could lead to the violation of some ones rights, the lack of such an understanding could lead to chaos. To propose a government, the idea of establishing a basis of what the government can and can not do to the citizenry is necessary if one wish to have order in society.

Humans survived for millennia just the from way you described. It wasn't until civilization started removing the right to bear arms from those people you label as weak that the strong was able to dominate the weak. Anyone who spends 12 hours a day working in the fields is anything but weak.

Tell us--do you think one needs a weapon in order to prey upon the weak?

I find this an interesting concept among right wingers.

Apparently you missed the thread too, since it would have been made clear that he wasn't named after Ayn Rand.

Forum List

Back