What Is Lake-Effect Snow? (Hint: It Involves a Lake)

The early 70's the entire Midwest was taking shots off the great lakes. I remember the TV news casts showing those folks dumping truck loads of snow off the bridges in NY, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and a few other areas..

New York and Philadelphia don't get lake effect snow. They have no lake to their west.

Doesn't require it to be west. Only in line with current wind direction.. And it can also pick up moisture, increase in altitude and deposit it up to 100 miles away. If you want to get technical about it...

Weather moves from west to east because of the rotation of the earth, unless it's a hurricane which goes backward. And again, neither city has a lake within 100 miles. Erie and Ontario are more like 400. Too far.

Look, I'm from there, I know what the weather is.

Lake effect is a poor descriptor of this phenomenon as it can happen above large rivers or any other body of water that is significantly warmer than the air mass above it.

"River effect"? :lol:

Don't think so. And even if it did work that way, those cities don't have large rivers to their west either. The Schuylkill isn't big, and it comes down from the north anyway.

I've never heard of "river effect snow" but it is common to have "bay effect snow" in certain areas. The Hudson, Chesapeake, and Massachusetts Bays have been known to produce a similar effect.

After the snow storm has passed, there is more snow. Except that you don't know when it is coming and you don't know when it's going to end. Nobody knows where or when it is going to hit until it hits.

This means that you can drive the first 10 miles in blizzard like conditions and then hit sunshine in another neighborhood.

Obviously PhotoShopped picture.

Everybody knows there's no snow anywhere anymore. In fact, anything within ten miles of any lake or ocean is underwater!

Global Warming, y'know......

What Is Lake-Effect Snow?

When it is much colder than the lake below. the warmth from the lake rise and deposits it's crap all over Buffalo. Now when it happens in the middle of November it becomes a problem for the 'global warming' advocates.

It's really only a problem for those who still don't grok the difference between weather and climate.

Snow in mid-November is nothing unusual in those latitudes. We had snow here in Carolina weeks ago.

It's really only a problem for those who still don't grok the difference between weather and climate.

heeehee...Which goal post are we aiming at today??? Let's see it was called global warming then some fool realized "hey, it ain't really warming. we have to rename it to some benign definition that cannot be pegged down with mear facts. Let's call it "Climate Change". We are certainly safe with that since the climate has always changed....Duhhhhhh

Irrelevant. What you posted and tried to hide (I put it back above) was that snow in mid-November in upstate New York is some kind of "problem". It isn't. It's normal weather.

When it is much colder than the lake below. the warmth from the lake rise and deposits it's crap all over Buffalo. Now when it happens in the middle of November it becomes a problem for the 'global warming' advocates.

Snow in mid-November is nothing unusual in those latitudes. We had snow here in Carolina weeks ago.

heeehee...Which goal post are we aiming at today??? Let's see it was called global warming then some fool realized "hey, it ain't really warming. we have to rename it to some benign definition that cannot be pegged down with mear facts. Let's call it "Climate Change". We are certainly safe with that since the climate has always changed....Duhhhhhh

Irrelevant. What you posted and tried to hide (I put it back above) was that snow in mid-November in upstate New York is some kind of "problem". It isn't. It's normal weather.

Did I say it was a problem. You stated that people on this forum couldn't distinguish between what you all used to call "Global Warming" and what you call " Climate Change" today. Guess what? We all recognize your bullcrap.

Did I say it was a problem.
Yeah you did. It's still sitting above and I quote:
"Now when it happens in the middle of November it becomes a problem for the 'global warming' advocates."

And as I just told you, it isn't. Lake effect is a normal weather pattern when you live to the west of a Great Lake.

You stated that people on this forum couldn't distinguish between what you all used to call "Global Warming" and what you call " Climate Change" today. Guess what? We all recognize your bullcrap.

Wrong again Madge. And that's sitting up there too. What I said was that some can't tell the difference between weather and climate. And apparently there are those who walk among us who can't read at all.

boohoo...the planet didn't quite cooperate with the self proclaimed mental geniuses,,,heh?

And as I just told you, it isn't. Lake effect is a normal weather pattern when you live to the west of a Great Lake.

According to "Climate Change" advocates the norm is obsolete...What happened to Buffalo. Either it should be buried in 20 ft. of snow or become a tropical paradise according to the 'talking heads'.

Alright,,,time to put the rubber on the road. Will Buffalo be forever under twenty feet snow or can they start sending out vacation brochures for their tropical paradise? Ok, Climate Change advocates. Predict the future so Buffalo can plan accordingly.

According to "Climate Change" advocates the norm is obsolete...What happened to Buffalo. Either it should be buried in 20 ft. of snow or become a tropical paradise according to the 'talking heads'.

It IS buried in 20 ft. of snow.

That's fine...except for the poor people in Buffalo. Now. are you saying...that is normal or IS IT "climate change" Be brave...don't be wishy washy... we are damned tired of it. Either you have something real and "The Truth" or you are hoping your imagination can masquerade as such. Have at it.

That's fine...except for the poor people in Buffalo. Now. are you saying...that is normal or IS IT "climate change" Be brave...don't be wishy washy... we are damned tired of it. Either you have something real and "The Truth" or you are hoping your imagination can masquerade as such. Have at it.

Look psycho, I told you snow in mid-November in Buffalo is not, and has never been, an unusual event, which is what you suggested. It's that simple. Maybe too simple for your juvenile grasp.

I did not bring up "climate change" You did. Duh.

I laugh when the south gets two inches of snow... people in ditches everywhere, mass panic. What is wrong with those people?

10425366_889958364349493_2056848914467061100_n.jpg

This much however, is not normal for November... January into Feb after months of accumulation... Yes... early November, no so much..

People wonder how they found woolly mammoths with food in their mouths and stomachs dead and perfectly preserved in compressed ice. That ICE was once SNOW.... Have we forgotten that region was under 1 mile of ice at the end of the last ice age?

Last edited:
Interesting fact...

The Two lakes surrounding Buffalo both registered -6 degrees from normal. This should have reduced the lake effect snow. The problem is the Arctic Air mass which is 29 degrees below normal for the year.

Buffalo's position is what is getting it nailed, as the polar jet is meandering in a south to north east direction. The cold air mass is moving off shore now and warming should hit them head on.

map-to-country-piano.jpg

2014326_1315rb.jpg

And the next cold front is already approaching.

upload_2014-11-22_20-16-11.png

The Canadian's are tracking the ice coverage and its way above normal for this time of year.. NOAA seams to have left it off line.. can't have Ice conditions known that do not reflect AGW..

Source

The early 70's the entire Midwest was taking shots off the great lakes. I remember the TV news casts showing those folks dumping truck loads of snow off the bridges in NY, Buffalo, Philadelphia, and a few other areas..

New York and Philadelphia don't get lake effect snow. They have no lake to their west.

Doesn't require it to be west. Only in line with current wind direction.. And it can also pick up moisture, increase in altitude and deposit it up to 100 miles away. If you want to get technical about it...

Weather moves from west to east because of the rotation of the earth, unless it's a hurricane which goes backward. And again, neither city has a lake within 100 miles. Erie and Ontario are more like 400. Too far.

Look, I'm from there, I know what the weather is.

Lake effect is a poor descriptor of this phenomenon as it can happen above large rivers or any other body of water that is significantly warmer than the air mass above it.

"River effect"? :lol:

Don't think so. And even if it did work that way, those cities don't have large rivers to their west either. The Schuylkill isn't big, and it comes down from the north anyway.
As someone who has lived near several large rivers it does indeed happen.. Simple physics of the process says it can..

Forum List

Back