What is it?

What is it about your religion that makes you want to be part of it?

Why do you care?

Wow I guess you are a bit touchy about it aren't you? I was just trying to find out what draws people to their religion. Is FAITH or RELIGION more important? Is it the good deeds that most religions participate in? Is it just the fact that your parents attended a particular religion? Is it because you love God or the Religion? Do you know the differance?

Why do you care?

Wow I guess you are a bit touchy about it aren't you? I was just trying to find out what draws people to their religion. Is FAITH or RELIGION more important? Is it the good deeds that most religions participate in? Is it just the fact that your parents attended a particular religion? Is it because you love God or the Religion? Do you know the differance?

Touchy? No, I simply ask a question. You say you don't believe in God, so why would you care anything about religion? If you were to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, you would instantly notice a difference in your life.

Why do you care?

Touchy? No, I simply ask a question. You say you don't believe in God, so why would you care anything about religion? If you were to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, you would instantly notice a difference in your life.

I don't need to believe in God to have an interest in religion since religion affects my daily life. Religion is PERVASIVE in its influence of PUBLIC POLICY so I want to know WHY people choose to participate in a particular religion.

Nothing--because it is about nothing.:eek:

By the way--Let say I attended a church(christian) or Islamic community center, but I practice neither faith. Does that make me a hypocritical Atheist?

Also, can I go to a synagogue without an invitation? I think so but I am afraid to try that(churches and ICC tend to invite newcomers, I do not know about jewish synagogues. Forgive me for my ignorance!)

Last edited:
Unexplainable "miracles" was not exactley what I asked for. You know why I know that? Because I said DON'T BE VAGUE!!!

OK.
In the fall of 1983 I was falsely accused of being a drug dealer by undercover Pascagoula Mississippi narcotics agents. They had built an absolutely damming case against me. According to the rules of evidence and court procedure in the court the case would be tried, it was an open and shut, air tight false case. A score of men had already been convicted and imprisoned by identical cases.

When they went to "take me down" by chasing me into a blind alley and attacking me with clubs, I crippled them and I maimed them. I ripped them limb from limb. I beat several of them within an inch of there lives and walked off and left them laying. They were plainclothes and never indentified themselves or said why the attacked.

When publicly confronted by another plainclothes policeman who had picked a fight with me in a barroom parking lot, I tried to back down. It didn't work. He demanded that I publicly tell him that I was a drug dealer or he was going to beat me up in front of a couple hundred people. This sixth dan blackbelt in Tai Kwan Do publicly challenged me to trial by combat. He never stood a chance. I was 33 years old, and except for the incident already described, I had never been in a fight in my life.

A week latter at the same bar, another plainclothes policeman picked a fight with me. This one thought he was smarter. Rather than try to attack me, he provoked me to speak in an attempt to get me to incriminate myself. I spoke the truth, confessed all my sins. I did honor to the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. The Wrath of God proceeded from my mouth. I argued Old Testament Law. He mocked the Word. I called on the name of Jesus, and spoke words that caused their perfect case to evaporate right in front of them.

I never hired a lawyer and I never spent a day in court. When the grand jury heard the evidence that the police themselves supplied of my confession and defence, they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. They said I was the most ridiculously honest man that any of them had ever even heard of and police contentions that I was a liar were ludicrous. They said as far as they could tell, I was born a witness. The Prosecutor defeated all there attempts to suppoena me. As I couldn't explain what it was about, I didn't come forward.

I hope this was detailed enough for you.

So you don't attend a church or tithe to a church or take CHURCH doctrine to be the "word of god"?

Sorry if I gave that impression. Let me address your fair question.

I do attent a Baptist church. It is there where I have fellowship with and worship with other believers. This is what we are instructed to do, "don't neglect the meeting together ..." Also I have been teaching youth middle school students for 25+ years, a ministry that God called me to.

I do give a tithe, and have been most of my life. It is sometime just a routine thing, but I am often reminded of just how important it is that I "bring to the storehouse..." that which God can put to use in ways that I cannot. It is not because it is a Baptist doctrine, but because it is God's instructions.

Church doctrine comes from the Word of God, and depending on which doctrine you are addressing, it may or may not be interpreted correctly. Sometimes a doctrine is there because of tradition, and they cannot get rid of it even though theynknow it is really not exactly how God designed it. Sometimes it becomes legalism. Sometimes there are doctrines that are just not correct, but the little controlling group in a particular church want it that way.

Most of the doctrines in the Baptist church are right on. Sometimes there is room for some adjustment.

However, with all of that said, my loyalty is to God, and not the local church or the Christian religion. If the Christian religion had errord, I believe I walk a different path from those errors. I don't throw the church out with the bad rules. I just ignore the rules and follow the Bible. No church is perfect.

Thank you for your response you seem to me to be a TRUE believer who understands that FAITH comes before religion. Although I do not believe in God I DO respect people of FAITH because faith is pure and religion is a creation of man and is therefor corruptiable and corrupting.

I appreciate your comment.

My faith, itself, is the connection between God and I. Religion has it's place, but it is not "necessary" for people of true faith.

I am not part of any religion..

I think it is because of religious wackos flying planes into buildings.. Fred Phelps celebrating the deaths of those that went to war or calling 9/11 punishment for homosexuals.. It is seeing some of the christian wackos on this board and how they despise Obama or think he is going to fail strictly because he is black or not a republica..

I haven't seen any good reasons to be a part of a religion..

So, you base all of religion on those few that you listed above?

Some religious people are not like that. As a matter of fact, the cast majority of religious people are not like that.

Do you feel the same way about the Islamic faith?

I feel like in every religion there are those who are very left and those who are very right. There are also people who just stick to their religion. If I believed that religion did anything for anyone, I would believe they are made better by their religions. However, any structure can do that.

:lol:

OK.
In the fall of 1983 I dropped A LOT of acid

fixed

No, I was a pothead. Maybe you need to fix it again. I smoked a LOT of pot.

There is at least a semi-public record of the incidents in the form of the grand jury report. As the report can not help but have dealt in a very specific manner with undercover sources and methods, I have no doubt that access would be severly restricted.

Sarcasm is easy.

Okay let's review. So far ColdFusion has stated the following in his thread:

What is it about your religion that makes you want to be part of it? (Post #1)

Really I would like to understand your reasons and please don't be vague. (Post #2)

I am there with ya uscit I just want to know why people join a particular religion and what it does for them to be a part of organised religion. (Post #4)

So you don't attend a church or tithe to a church or take CHURCH doctrine to be the "word of god"? (Post #9)

Yea I forgot my cell phone and went back in to get it narrowly escaping a meteor that smashed my car. MIRACLE indeed. (Post #12)

Unexplainable "miracles" was not exactley what I asked for. You know why I know that? Because I said DON'T BE VAGUE!!! (Post #13)

Very well said. More of a reason NOT to be in a religion but you NAIL the hypocritical "Christian". (Post #15)

Thank you for your response you seem to me to be a TRUE believer who understands that FAITH comes before religion. Although I do not believe in God I DO respect people of FAITH because faith is pure and religion is a creation of man and is therefor corruptiable and corrupting. (Post #19)

In response to Smart’s “Some religious people are not like that. As a matter of fact, the cast majority of religious people are not like that.”

Do you feel the same way about the Islamic faith? (Post #20)

Wow I guess you are a bit touchy about it aren't you? I was just trying to find out what draws people to their religion. Is FAITH or RELIGION more important? Is it the good deeds that most religions participate in? Is it just the fact that your parents attended a particular religion? Is it because you love God or the Religion? Do you know the differance? (Post #21)

To X’s comment: “It answers your question. Money makes organized religion work”

Fair enough (Post #24)

I don't need to believe in God to have an interest in religion since religion affects my daily life. Religion is PERVASIVE in its influence of PUBLIC POLICY so I want to know WHY people choose to participate in a particular religion. (Post #25)

I will confess to a bit of suspicion that we are being baited here or another shoe will drop shortly. I would be less suspicious if Cold has been up front and included the last comment here with the opening question.

But it is a fair question, and now that it has also been framed honestly, I will answer it.

I like some others became disallusioned with much of organized religion when it became ingrown and self serving and too often failed to focus on the One it was supposed to be all about. I do participate in organized religion nevertheless, however, both in my local church which is a very good church and ecumenically. Why? Because I am one person with limited resources, abilities, stamina, and talents. But when I join with others, we who are relatively weak alone, become a powerful force that God can use to accomplish those miracles that you seem to have sneered at. (Post #12)

So I participate in organized religion and have been blessed to witness or know of all the soup kitchens, thrift shops, homeless shelters, loving orphanages, leper colonies, education and hands on help for some of the world's poorest and most miserable people in some of the world's most inhospitable and/or dangerous places, relief efforts, counseling and tutoring ministries, after school programs, pre schools, wheel chair distribution, self help groups, great architecture, great music, great literature, and the list can go on and on and on. All this in the name of religion sometimes including even the most narrow minded, dogmatic, judgmental types that the anti-religious most enjoy despising.

I have seen much suffering relieved and many miracles as a result of these ministries, seen lives redeemed and restored and made whole, and believe that God blesses the work that they do and strengthens all those souls through the comforting rituals they practice in their faith. I pray every day that more will join us so that we can accomplish even more.

I know of no Atheist or anti-religious groups who are doing anything comparable.

As to my personal faith and why I believe what I believe, that is a different question and one that you didn't ask.

Last edited:
Okay let's review. So far ColdFusion has stated the following in his thread:

What is it about your religion that makes you want to be part of it? (Post #1)

Really I would like to understand your reasons and please don't be vague. (Post #2)

I am there with ya uscit I just want to know why people join a particular religion and what it does for them to be a part of organised religion. (Post #4)

So you don't attend a church or tithe to a church or take CHURCH doctrine to be the "word of god"? (Post #9)

Yea I forgot my cell phone and went back in to get it narrowly escaping a meteor that smashed my car. MIRACLE indeed. (Post #12)

Unexplainable "miracles" was not exactley what I asked for. You know why I know that? Because I said DON'T BE VAGUE!!! (Post #13)

Very well said. More of a reason NOT to be in a religion but you NAIL the hypocritical "Christian". (Post #15)

Thank you for your response you seem to me to be a TRUE believer who understands that FAITH comes before religion. Although I do not believe in God I DO respect people of FAITH because faith is pure and religion is a creation of man and is therefor corruptiable and corrupting. (Post #19)

In response to Smart’s “Some religious people are not like that. As a matter of fact, the cast majority of religious people are not like that.”

Do you feel the same way about the Islamic faith? (Post #20)

Wow I guess you are a bit touchy about it aren't you? I was just trying to find out what draws people to their religion. Is FAITH or RELIGION more important? Is it the good deeds that most religions participate in? Is it just the fact that your parents attended a particular religion? Is it because you love God or the Religion? Do you know the differance? (Post #21)

To X’s comment: “It answers your question. Money makes organized religion work”

Fair enough (Post #24)

I don't need to believe in God to have an interest in religion since religion affects my daily life. Religion is PERVASIVE in its influence of PUBLIC POLICY so I want to know WHY people choose to participate in a particular religion. (Post #25)

I will confess to a bit of suspicion that we are being baited here or another shoe will drop shortly. I would be less suspicious if Cold has been up front and included the last comment here with the opening question.

But it is a fair question, and now that it has also been framed honestly, I will answer it.

I like some others became disallusioned with much of organized religion when it became ingrown and self serving and too often failed to focus on the One it was supposed to be all about. I do participate in organized religion nevertheless, however, both in my local church which is a very good church and ecumenically. Why? Because I am one person with limited resources, abilities, stamina, and talents. But when I join with others, we who are relatively weak alone, become a powerful force that God can use to accomplish those miracles that you seem to have sneered at. (Post #12)

So I participate in organized religion and have been blessed to witness or know of all the soup kitchens, thrift shops, homeless shelters, loving orphanages, leper colonies, education and hands on help for some of the world's poorest and most miserable people in some of the world's most inhospitable and/or dangerous places, relief efforts, counseling and tutoring ministries, after school programs, pre schools, wheel chair distribution, self help groups, great architecture, great music, great literature, and the list can go on and on and on. All this in the name of religion sometimes including even the most narrow minded, dogmatic, judgmental types that the anti-religious most enjoy despising.

I have seen much suffering relieved and many miracles as a result of these ministries, seen lives redeemed and restored and made whole, and believe that God blesses the work that they do and strengthens all those souls through the comforting rituals they practice in their faith. I pray every day that more will join us so that we can accomplish even more.

I know of no Atheist or anti-religious groups who are doing anything comparable.

As to my personal faith and why I believe what I believe, that is a different question and one that you didn't ask.

Good for you and those you work with to make your comunity stronger and happier I admire you work. I think you are one of the FAITHFUL who understand that helping others is the call of your God to his followers. The problem is that too many church leaders use their religion to advocate for GOVT POLICY! They use their "Holy Pulpit" to campaign for political leaders. Does that not scare you? Are you not INSULTED that some people USE religion in such a way? Once again I respect your FAITH but I STILL question your RELIGION because organised religion is not ONLY about helping and healing it is also about POWER and CORRUPTION. I am sorry if my opinion insults you because that is NOT my point, I only wish to point out that putting too much power in the hands of MEN in the name of GOD is a recipe for abuse. Keep up the good work that you do and be rightfully proud of the good deeds you do and the positive impact you have in your comunity. I know being prideful is a sin but I think you have earned the right to take pride in your work.

Good for you and those you work with to make your comunity stronger and happier I admire you work. I think you are one of the FAITHFUL who understand that helping others is the call of your God to his followers. The problem is that too many church leaders use their religion to advocate for GOVT POLICY! They use their "Holy Pulpit" to campaign for political leaders. Does that not scare you? Are you not INSULTED that some people USE religion in such a way? Once again I respect your FAITH but I STILL question your RELIGION because organised religion is not ONLY about helping and healing it is also about POWER and CORRUPTION. I am sorry if my opinion insults you because that is NOT my point, I only wish to point out that putting too much power in the hands of MEN in the name of GOD is a recipe for abuse. Keep up the good work that you do and be rightfully proud of the good deeds you do and the positive impact you have in your comunity. I know being prideful is a sin but I think you have earned the right to take pride in your work.

If you look for only good or look for only bad things in government and cannot recognize the positives and negatives, you will have a skewed view of government and a distorted opinion about its value and effect. That bad people, bad policy, corruption et al exists does not negate the necessity for government.

If you look for only good or look for only bad in Atheism, you will have a skewed view of those advocating that and a distorted opinion about the contributions or lack thereof. That some Atheists are totally self centered or wrong headed or bad people does not translate to all Atheists being that way.

If you look for only the good or only the bad in corporate America, you will arrive at mostly wrong conclusions. The fact that there are businesses with indefensible ethics and practices does not negate the fact that we would have no sustainable trade, commerice, or prosperity without business.

If you look for only the bad in organized religion, you will be blinded to the tremendous good that it does and the benefits that are provided throughout the world because it exists. The fact that there are people who misuse organized religion does not negate the value/efforts of the hundreds of millions, even billions who don't.

Prejudice and bigotry comes in many forms and is not restricted to opinions about a person's race, color, gender, sexuality, etc. It can be just as wrong headed and potentially destructive no matter where it is directed.

Last edited:

If you look for only good or look for only bad things in government and cannot recognize the positives and negatives, you will have a skewed view of government and a distorted opinion about its value and effect. That bad people, bad policy, corruption et al exists does not negate the necessity for government.

If you look for only good or look for only bad in Atheism, you will have a skewed view of those advocating that and a distorted opinion about the contributions or lack thereof. That some Atheists are totally self centered or wrong headed or bad people does not translate to all Atheists being that way.

If you look for only the good or only the bad in corporate America, you will arrive at mostly wrong conclusions. The fact that there are businesses with indefensible ethics and practices does not negate the fact that we would have no sustainable trade, commerice, or prosperity without business.

If you look for only the bad in organized religion, you will be blinded to the tremendous good that it does and the benefits that are provided throughout the world because it exists. The fact that there are people who misuse organized religion does not negate the value/efforts of the hundreds of millions, even billions who don't.

Prejudice and bigotry comes in many forms and is not restricted to opinions about a person's race, color, gender, sexuality, etc. It can be just as wrong headed and potentially destructive no matter where it is directed.

None of this negates the FACT that all of the afore mentioned do, IN FACT, have elements that use their power in ways that are NOT in the best interest of the general public.

I am not part of any religion..

I think it is because of religious wackos flying planes into buildings.. Fred Phelps celebrating the deaths of those that went to war or calling 9/11 punishment for homosexuals.. It is seeing some of the christian wackos on this board and how they despise Obama or think he is going to fail strictly because he is black or not a republica..

I haven't seen any good reasons to be a part of a religion..

So, you base all of religion on those few that you listed above?

Some religious people are not like that. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of religious people are not like that.

Do you feel the same way about the Islamic faith?

I think the majority of the people in most religions are good people. They are not like the radical bunch. So, yes I include the Islamic faith. However, that (being in a religion) is not any better than being in a good club. IMO

None of this negates the FACT that all of the afore mentioned do, IN FACT, have elements that use their power in ways that are NOT in the best interest of the general public.

There is a down for every up, an out for every in, a bad choice for every good choice. I think you would be hard put to name any rule, concept, policy, regulation, rule, idea, ideology, sociopolitical system, action, or religion that did not have potential for both good or bad. The point is, when you dismiss religion because there are some negative aspects and do not dismiss everything because there are some negative aspects, you are most likely speaking from prejudice rather than any rational or objective consideration.

Unless you deem the anti-religious or non-religious or Atheist to be above reproach in all their activities, then it is hypocritical to hold Christians or any other people of faith to impossible standards of perfection and not hold everybody else to the same impossible standards.

Forum List

Back