What Is It With Some People?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
As you all may know, my littlest guy - Quinn - is two years old. Any parent knows that sometimes, toddlers just wake up on the wrong side of the crib, with the whole world on their shit list, and fully prepared to let everyone know about it . . . at the top of their lungs. Yesterday was that day for Quinn.

Unfortunately, that didn't excuse me from still having to do errands and haul him along with me.

Now personally, I just grit my teeth and thank God that Quinn is the happiest baby on Earth, and as such, only has bad-mood days once every three or four months. Every parent worth his/her salt knows that the only effective way to deal with a tantrum is to ignore it. If you give the kid attention - or worse, try to bribe them into cheering up - you're just rewarding the bad behavior and encouraging the child to believe that is the way to get what he wants.

But Quinn was not NEARLY as annoying as the people around us. At what point did people decide that it's acceptable to walk up to a complete stranger and interfere with the way they deal with their children (barring obvious physical abuse or such)? I realize that it's a nuisance to have to listen to a hollering child in a grocery store, and believe me, I wouldn't have been there if we hadn't been in desperate need of milk. But you know what? It's a public place, full of other people, and other people are often annoying. Suck it up. Do whatcha gotta do and move on. Don't make things worse by deciding it's your job to try to quiet the kid, or by expecting me to encourage his behavior just for your short-term convenience.

I seriously had to border on being rude to utter strangers who walked right up to my cart and started trying to shush Quinn or offer him candy or toys to be quiet. Are these people nuts? I don't know you from Adam, lady. Get the hell away from my kid before I call a cop.

In this Ritalin-soaked world, have we really become so unable to understand and accept that it's natural for kids to just be pains in the ass sometimes?

I do the silly faces, peek a boo and asking the kid what song that is they are singing and making pouty faces like I am very saddened by the little ones sadness.

sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

If they dont I move on quickly.

Most parents get a kick out of it.

I will wave at the kid and such to try and distract them if nerby, such as in line behind them. If it works I feel I have helped the mother a bit if not ohh well and I would never try and touch or offer them candy, etc.

Kids usually respond well to me since I am stuck in a chair/cart like they are.
Or maybe I just have a funny face? I dunno.

Since it is YOUR kid I probably would have called the cops and had you arrested for disturbing the peace.

I do the silly faces, peek a boo and asking the kid what song that is they are singing and making pouty faces like I am very saddened by the little ones sadness.

sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.

If they dont I move on quickly.

Most parents get a kick out of it.

On a normal day, if he's just irritated because I took something away from him, that works on Quinn, too. During a full-blown tantrum, NOTHING works. You just have to let him yell it out. And paying attention to him just prolongs it.

Since it is YOUR kid I probably would have called the cops and had you arrested for disturbing the peace.

You're an idiot (BIG surprise). There is no "disturbing the peace" about making noise in a public place, you jackass. He's a crying baby, not a street preacher with a megaphone.

Way to prove once again that it's impossible to underestimate your intelligence.

You're an idiot (BIG surprise). There is no "disturbing the peace" about making noise in a public place, you jackass. He's a crying baby, not a street preacher with a megaphone.

Way to prove once again that it's impossible to underestimate your intelligence.

A crying baby is worse than a preacher with a megaphone. When I run across that scenario in public I start building a cooking fire with a spit and tell the baby where it's going if it doesn't shut up.

A crying baby is worse than a preacher with a megaphone. When I run across that scenario in public I start building a cooking fire with a spit and tell the baby where it's going if it doesn't shut up.

Wow. Another jackass.

Pick your panties out of your crack and suck it up, Princess. People are annoying. Either deal with it, or stay in your hermit cave and have your groceries delivered. The option you DON'T get is expecting the rest of the world to adjust itself to suit your delicate sensibilities.

Wow. Another jackass.

Pick your panties out of your crack and suck it up, Princess. People are annoying. Either deal with it, or stay in your hermit cave and have your groceries delivered. The option you DON'T get is expecting the rest of the world to adjust itself to suit your delicate sensibilities.

Wow! Another anal moron who couldn't recognize a joke if it slapped her in the face. Unpucker your ass, the scenario I presented is so ludicrous only someone flying Canial Anal Airways would think I was serious.

Though a crying baby is still more annoying than a preacher with a megaphone. :lol:

Way to prove once again you lack any sense of humor.

:lol: I flew back from L.A. on the red-eye on New Year's Eve. Everyone was trying to sleep but a two year old kept screaming and screaming and screaming. After 45 minutes of this one of the passengers suggested to the parents that they take the child into the bathroom and sit there to give the rest of us a break.

:clap2:

Two year olds are the reason kids are so darn cute. It's their survival mechanism.

Seriously? When mine were that age I had no problem with somebody talking to or making faces at the little ones. It was sometimes a help. But touching them, offering them candy, or trying to give them toys? Hell no.

Yep, it's annoying to listen to a toddler scream. But sometimes the parent doesn't have the choice of leaving them at home. My kiddos are big enough now to complain if it happens while we're out, and I just laugh and point out it wasn't very long ago that people were complaining about them.

:lol: I flew back from L.A. on the red-eye on New Year's Eve. Everyone was trying to sleep but a two year old kept screaming and screaming and screaming. After 45 minutes of this one of the passengers suggested to the parents that they take the child into the bathroom and sit there to give the rest of us a break.

Try it on a red eye from Korea. I felt sorry for the parents because everyone kept giving them the evil eye. I finally suggested the mother hold the babys nose while it was crying so its inner ears could equalize to the pressure. It worked and the kid slept the rest of the trip.

I had to take my son shopping with me once for a dress. While in the dressing room, he decided to point out loudly, that I have boobies. So fun!

Try it on a red eye from Korea. I felt sorry for the parents because everyone kept giving them the evil eye. I finally suggested the mother hold the babys nose while it was crying so its inner ears could equalize to the pressure. It worked and the kid slept the rest of the trip.
Great idea...it wouldn't have done much with this kid though, she was screaming before she even got on the plane. Probably just over tired.

If people are trying to help, I see no problem. If they are trying to take over the parenting job, even temporarily, that becomes a problem.
My mom had one that did tantrums, she showed him what it looked like and he never threw another. I had one that would do tantrums and found that "hugging" was the best cure (they would calm themselves to gain freedom).
Good luck with yours. They are each special, please enjoy him, he will only be "that age" today.

I had to take my son shopping with me once for a dress. While in the dressing room, he decided to point out loudly, that I have boobies. So fun!

Unfortunately my peep hole wouldn't let me look that high up........... :eusa_whistle:
Next time could you squat down a little?

As you all may know, my littlest guy - Quinn - is two years old. Any parent knows that sometimes, toddlers just wake up on the wrong side of the crib, with the whole world on their shit list, and fully prepared to let everyone know about it . . . at the top of their lungs. Yesterday was that day for Quinn.

Unfortunately, that didn't excuse me from still having to do errands and haul him along with me.

Now personally, I just grit my teeth and thank God that Quinn is the happiest baby on Earth, and as such, only has bad-mood days once every three or four months. Every parent worth his/her salt knows that the only effective way to deal with a tantrum is to ignore it. If you give the kid attention - or worse, try to bribe them into cheering up - you're just rewarding the bad behavior and encouraging the child to believe that is the way to get what he wants.

But Quinn was not NEARLY as annoying as the people around us. At what point did people decide that it's acceptable to walk up to a complete stranger and interfere with the way they deal with their children (barring obvious physical abuse or such)? I realize that it's a nuisance to have to listen to a hollering child in a grocery store, and believe me, I wouldn't have been there if we hadn't been in desperate need of milk. But you know what? It's a public place, full of other people, and other people are often annoying. Suck it up. Do whatcha gotta do and move on. Don't make things worse by deciding it's your job to try to quiet the kid, or by expecting me to encourage his behavior just for your short-term convenience.

I seriously had to border on being rude to utter strangers who walked right up to my cart and started trying to shush Quinn or offer him candy or toys to be quiet. Are these people nuts? I don't know you from Adam, lady. Get the hell away from my kid before I call a cop.

In this Ritalin-soaked world, have we really become so unable to understand and accept that it's natural for kids to just be pains in the ass sometimes?

At least you didn't slip cocaine into the baby bottle or slam their head into a wall so hard it breaks the wall board. He is just expressing his 1st Amendment right to free screech.:lol: I would smile and wave at him from a distance if I were there.

Forum List

Back