What Is It With Men?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Is it a universal man thing, or is it just MY menfolk, that they cannot seem to accept and follow simple directions without trying to "out-think" me and find another way of doing it, almost always manage to totally screw the whole thing up and/or make it take longer?'

Case in point:

Neither my husband nor my boyfriend can navigate their way out of a wet paper bag. I, on the other hand, plan all my trips around town out very carefully before leaving the house in order to maximize efficiency and minimize time, gas, and annoyance from traffic.

The other day, around five o'clock, Sean and I were approaching downtown Tucson from the south, needing to visit some businesses on Fourth Avenue and one in downtown Tucson itself. As the oldest part of the city, the streets in downtown are very narrow, and so most of them are one-way, making it a pain to navigate there, even aside from the fact that traffic at that time of day is horrible. I had told Sean - who was driving - to go to Fourth Avenue, which is an offshoot of the downtown area. From where we were, all we needed to do was follow the street we were on to Toole Avenue, make a right, and make another immediate right under the overpass and BAM! There we would be on northbound Fourth Avenue. My plan was to make our stops there, and then we could head south BACK under the overpass, where the road curves around into Congress (which is one-way), and it would take us right to the one downtown stop we had. From there, we could head right the hell out of downtown entirely by any number of methods.

Instead, Sean makes the right onto Toole and moves over one lane to the left. I asked him what he was doing. He said, "Going to Hydra (Our one downtown stop)."

I said, "Why would you go there first?"

He says, "Because we're right here next to it. We might as well hit it first." Some grumbling and griping, "If these assholes would just let me move over one more lane." (The lanes at that point are very weird, with much curving and confusion.)

I said, "And how are you planning to get BACK here to Fourth Avenue afterward? We should just hit that first, and then shoot back down Congress."

He said, "This is faster, because it's right over there." Which was true, as the crow flies, but we weren't crows OR flying. So naturally, the congested rush-hour traffic wouldn't let him move over, we were forced to drive past the curve into Congress, and we spent 1--15 minutes circling around the one-way streets of downtown, trying to maneuver over to Hydra. When we got there, we discovered that we had missed their closing by five minutes. Now Sean's cussing and pounding on the steering wheel.

I said, "So let's head north on this next street past the overpass, and the cut over to Fourth Avenue and head south." He starts to do that, and then suddenly turns right on southbound Toole Avenue instead. I said, "What are you doing?"

He said, "We can just go back to Fourth from here, and we won't have to go out of our way."

I said, "Southbound Toole doesn't connect to Fourth Avenue any more. It converts to one-way northbound just before that."

He said, "What? I used to go that way all the time. When did they change it?"

I said, "Couple years ago when they built the new overpass."

He said, "This is why I hate driving in downtown. It's just nothing but bullshit!" And we proceeded to circle downtown for ten more minutes while he cussed and ranted at the other drivers before we finally managed to connect with Fourth Avenue.

Had we followed my plan, we'd have been out of there almost a half-hour earlier, AND actually caught Hydra before they closed, AND not been frustrated and pissed.

This is becoming epidemic. The smallest little thing, and instead of just doing it, I either get an extended discussion about "Wouldn't it be better to . . . ?" or I get it done wrong and have to redo it.

What the hell?

Is it a universal man thing, or is it just MY menfolk, that they cannot seem to accept and follow simple directions without trying to "out-think" me and find another way of doing it, almost always manage to totally screw the whole thing up and/or make it take longer?'

Case in point:

Neither my husband nor my boyfriend can navigate their way out of a wet paper bag. I, on the other hand, plan all my trips around town out very carefully before leaving the house in order to maximize efficiency and minimize time, gas, and annoyance from traffic.

The other day, around five o'clock, Sean and I were approaching downtown Tucson from the south, needing to visit some businesses on Fourth Avenue and one in downtown Tucson itself. As the oldest part of the city, the streets in downtown are very narrow, and so most of them are one-way, making it a pain to navigate there, even aside from the fact that traffic at that time of day is horrible. I had told Sean - who was driving - to go to Fourth Avenue, which is an offshoot of the downtown area. From where we were, all we needed to do was follow the street we were on to Toole Avenue, make a right, and make another immediate right under the overpass and BAM! There we would be on northbound Fourth Avenue. My plan was to make our stops there, and then we could head south BACK under the overpass, where the road curves around into Congress (which is one-way), and it would take us right to the one downtown stop we had. From there, we could head right the hell out of downtown entirely by any number of methods.

Instead, Sean makes the right onto Toole and moves over one lane to the left. I asked him what he was doing. He said, "Going to Hydra (Our one downtown stop)."

I said, "Why would you go there first?"

He says, "Because we're right here next to it. We might as well hit it first." Some grumbling and griping, "If these assholes would just let me move over one more lane." (The lanes at that point are very weird, with much curving and confusion.)

I said, "And how are you planning to get BACK here to Fourth Avenue afterward? We should just hit that first, and then shoot back down Congress."

He said, "This is faster, because it's right over there." Which was true, as the crow flies, but we weren't crows OR flying. So naturally, the congested rush-hour traffic wouldn't let him move over, we were forced to drive past the curve into Congress, and we spent 1--15 minutes circling around the one-way streets of downtown, trying to maneuver over to Hydra. When we got there, we discovered that we had missed their closing by five minutes. Now Sean's cussing and pounding on the steering wheel.

I said, "So let's head north on this next street past the overpass, and the cut over to Fourth Avenue and head south." He starts to do that, and then suddenly turns right on southbound Toole Avenue instead. I said, "What are you doing?"

He said, "We can just go back to Fourth from here, and we won't have to go out of our way."

I said, "Southbound Toole doesn't connect to Fourth Avenue any more. It converts to one-way northbound just before that."

He said, "What? I used to go that way all the time. When did they change it?"

I said, "Couple years ago when they built the new overpass."

He said, "This is why I hate driving in downtown. It's just nothing but bullshit!" And we proceeded to circle downtown for ten more minutes while he cussed and ranted at the other drivers before we finally managed to connect with Fourth Avenue.

Had we followed my plan, we'd have been out of there almost a half-hour earlier, AND actually caught Hydra before they closed, AND not been frustrated and pissed.

This is becoming epidemic. The smallest little thing, and instead of just doing it, I either get an extended discussion about "Wouldn't it be better to . . . ?" or I get it done wrong and have to redo it.

What the hell?

You in a big hurry or something ?
Stop and smell the roses. geesh

What is it with women... they won't drive yet they like barking orders..

Actually, I don't have this problem but .. ah...occasionally we Guys stick up for each other..

I know just how you feel! EXACTLY how you feel. They never listen do they?

Is it a universal man thing, or is it just MY menfolk [...]
You've asked, so here's the answer.

With a disposition like yours, what kind of men can you reasonably expect would be willing to want anything more than occasional casual sex with you -- if that much? Any man who would tolerate a contemptuously aggressive woman is not much of a man. So I suggest you've got what your hand calls for.

Yeah, whatever.

It's a man thing, Cecilie. Which is to say it's a control thing. One of many things that makes them unpleasant and at times dangerous to live , with or depend upon.

When I told my ex "I've just planted flowers in the front yard flower bed...please stay away from them and don't step on them" he decided that was the day to spread rock...and he stepped on each and every one *inadvertently*.

When I told him "don't feed the horses this rotten bale of hay that's been in the back of the truck all winter, it will make them sick" I came home from work the next morning to find the bale out in the pasture and my 6 beautiful horses (1 heavily pregnant) eating the deadly shit.

When my ex insisted that he wanted to move with our family into his mother's perfectly restored (well, maintained, really....no restoration, they never quit using it and spending money on it) Victorian family home, complete with antiques (many of which came across on the Oregon Trail) I resisted. He assured me that if I sold all my stuff I could use the house as if it were my own. Then when I'd sold everything and moved there, he started moving things OUT of the home just to keep me from using them. He stored them in a crappy storage unit off his parents' home, where the roof leaked and destroyed tens of thousands of dollars worth of beautiful antiques..that were too good for me.

I no longer have the energy or the disposition to tolerate such smallness of character and I encourage every woman on the face of the earth to refuse to tolerate such outrageous behavior. If you're wise you will dump the shit before it gets worse. Because it will NOT get better.

Yeah, whatever.

It's a man thing, Cecilie. Which is to say it's a control thing. One of many things that makes them unpleasant and at times dangerous to live , with or depend upon.

When I told my ex "I've just planted flowers in the front yard flower bed...please stay away from them and don't step on them" he decided that was the day to spread rock...and he stepped on each and every one *inadvertently*.

When I told him "don't feed the horses this rotten bale of hay that's been in the back of the truck all winter, it will make them sick" I came home from work the next morning to find the bale out in the pasture and my 6 beautiful horses (1 heavily pregnant) eating the deadly shit.

When my ex insisted that he wanted to move with our family into his mother's perfectly restored (well, maintained, really....no restoration, they never quit using it and spending money on it) Victorian family home, complete with antiques (many of which came across on the Oregon Trail) I resisted. He assured me that if I sold all my stuff I could use the house as if it were my own. Then when I'd sold everything and moved there, he started moving things OUT of the home just to keep me from using them. He stored them in a crappy storage unit off his parents' home, where the roof leaked and destroyed tens of thousands of dollars worth of beautiful antiques..that were too good for me.

I no longer have the energy or the disposition to tolerate such smallness of character and I encourage every woman on the face of the earth to refuse to tolerate such outrageous behavior. If you're wise you will dump the shit before it gets worse. Because it will NOT get better.

Because of one guy you hate all men? Ya that makes perfect sense.

some avatar suggestions then>

manhater3.jpg

misandry.jpg

boys-are-stupid-throw-rocks-at-them-picture1.jpg

0.jpg

Generalization ALERT!

Men generally seem to have better sense of direction than women.

If you doubt this, ask most women for directions. They process information differently so following their directions (even if they're right!) is practically impossible for most men.

I SUSPECT that there's structual differences between male brains and females brains that explains why this is.

And I also suspect that these structural differences stem from the 50 millenias of human history where men went out on the hunt, while women kept the hiomefires burning.

Ever notice that women can FIND stuff that's laying about the house and men have a terrible time seeing those things?

That's another example, I think, of some gender differences that I think are manifesting because the humane genome demands it of us.

The male and female genders are different and those general differences are complimentary, too.

Last edited:
Cecilie, do you want an actual answer, with potentials to fix the problem or do you just want people to commiserate with you on how terrible we Men are?

Let me know and I'll post the appropriate reply.

Forum List

Back