What Is It With Left/Public Radio?: 'This American Life' Radio Show Caught Lying...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Obviously Public Radio & Public Televison are Left/Democrat-Biased, so why do they continue receiving Tax Dollar-funding?

Radio show’s Foxconn story retracted due to fabrications by author

Recent media scrutiny of the working conditions of Apple’s overseas factories pushed the company to recently open factory doors for inspection. Details of one report from one of Apple’s most ardent critics, however, have been found to be a lie.

In January, a monologue aired by the radio show This American Life told accounts of hazardous working conditions for Chinese workers at Apple’s Foxconn factories. Last week, Marketplace’s China Correspondent Rob Schmitz and This American Life host Ira Glass confronted the monologue’s author Mike Daisey on air. Daisey, who is also an actor, admitted that he had fabricated portions of the account where he had met workers who had been poisoned by a toxic chemical while working in the factory. Daisey said he had wanted to “capture the totality” of his trip to China.

Schmitz tracked down the woman who worked as Daisey’s Chinese translator, who told him that portions of Daisey’s story were false. Glass subsequently issued a retraction Friday for This American Life, and said that Daisey had lied to him during the fact-checking that took place prior to airing the story.

The original story in January is This American Life’s most popular story to date, the show said in a press release about the incident. The story has been downloaded 888,000 times and streamed 206,000 as of Friday. This American Life has now killed the show after concluding that it cannot “vouch for the truth of Mike Daisey’s monologue about Apple in China.”

Glass said they are “horrified to have let something like this onto public radio,” and that This American Life is devoting the entirety of this week’s program to detailing the numerous errors in Daisey’s fiction.

Daisey is, however, hardly apologetic.

“I stand by my work,” Daisey said Friday in a statement on his website about the piece. He said the piece featured on This American Life was an “adaptation” of his longer critically acclaimed monologue, “The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs,” which first debuted in 2010. His intentions were to bring awareness to the conditions under which American consumer electronics are made.

Daisey’s confession comes after he had been featured on national television and had conducted numerous interviews discussing his account. Daisey, who is not a journalist and confesses as much, admitted to having taken a “few shortcuts” – his motivation: his “passion to be heard.”

Read more: This American Life | Apple Foxconn Story | Fabrications | The Daily Caller

Obviously Public Radio & Public Televison are Left/Democrat-Biased, so why do they continue receiving Tax Dollar-funding?

Recent media scrutiny of the working conditions of Apple’s overseas factories pushed the company to recently open factory doors for inspection. Details of one report from one of Apple’s most ardent critics, however, have been found to be a lie.

In January, a monologue aired by the radio show This American Life told accounts of hazardous working conditions for Chinese workers at Apple’s Foxconn factories. Last week, Marketplace’s China Correspondent Rob Schmitz and This American Life host Ira Glass confronted the monologue’s author Mike Daisey on air. Daisey, who is also an actor, admitted that he had fabricated portions of the account where he had met workers who had been poisoned by a toxic chemical while working in the factory. Daisey said he had wanted to “capture the totality” of his trip to China.

Schmitz tracked down the woman who worked as Daisey’s Chinese translator, who told him that portions of Daisey’s story were false. Glass subsequently issued a retraction Friday for This American Life, and said that Daisey had lied to him during the fact-checking that took place prior to airing the story.

The original story in January is This American Life’s most popular story to date, the show said in a press release about the incident. The story has been downloaded 888,000 times and streamed 206,000 as of Friday. This American Life has now killed the show after concluding that it cannot “vouch for the truth of Mike Daisey’s monologue about Apple in China.”

Glass said they are “horrified to have let something like this onto public radio,” and that This American Life is devoting the entirety of this week’s program to detailing the numerous errors in Daisey’s fiction.

“I stand by my work,” Daisey said Friday in a statement on his website about the piece. He said the piece featured on This American Life was an “adaptation” of his longer critically acclaimed monologue, “The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs,” which first debuted in 2010. His intentions were to bring awareness to the conditions under which American consumer electronics are made.

Daisey’s confession comes after he had been featured on national television and had conducted numerous interviews discussing his account. Daisey, who is not a journalist and confesses as much, admitted to having taken a “few shortcuts” – his motivation: his “passion to be heard.”

Read more: This American Life | Apple Foxconn Story | Fabrications | The Daily Caller

The question is, are conditions in apple's factories good or bad? Whether he lied or not does not change what may be a stark reality for many, many workers there, and one fabrication does not invalidate plight of many chinese workers. So, to this, I say. Who cares, and I agree with Daisy in standing behind his position firmly. He is trying to expose a reality. He may have embellished a specific incident, but that doesn't change the reality these workers must face. I am willing to bet the conditions are really bad. Hence, why Apple produces in China, not America. It could not get away with it here. Why do people assume such good will among corporations? Is it the advertising? The shiny silver metallic coating to their i-macs? I don't get it. What inculcation is to blame for this?

Fox hires people to lie and paid the big bucks in court to do so.

Maybe they should have their broadcasting rights removed.

The liar was fired by the station.

If fox fired their liars they would have no one left to broadcast.

The question is, are conditions in apple's factories good or bad? Whether he lied or not does not change what may be a stark reality for many, many workers there, and one fabrication does not invalidate plight of many chinese workers. So, to this, I say. Who cares, and I agree with Daisy in standing behind his position firmly. He is trying to expose a reality. He may have embellished a specific incident, but that doesn't change the reality these workers must face. I am willing to bet the conditions are really bad. Hence, why Apple produces in China, not America. It could not get away with it here. Why do people assume such good will among corporations? Is it the advertising? The shiny silver metallic coating to their i-macs? I don't get it. What inculcation is to blame for this?

Well, you would say all that. You're a loyal Left/Democrat no?

So you're FOR child labor and unsafe working conditions?

Why?

Fox hires people to lie and paid the big bucks in court to do so.

Maybe they should have their broadcasting rights removed.

The liar was fired by the station.

If fox fired their liars they would have no one left to broadcast.

Irrelevant. Your GE/NBC nutters lie all the time. They're private companies. Public Radio & TV are a different matter entirely.

So you're FOR child labor and unsafe working conditions?

Why?

Nice deflection and Thread-Hijack attempt. That's not what the post is about. But you know that. ;)

No, the question is are they a trustworthy news source, or not? Apparently not.

Why on earth would anyone believe anything that comes from a writer who embellishes and lies? Are we just supposed to accept that he knows best and be happy with what he tells us, regardless ofwhether it's true or not?

No, the question is are they a trustworthy news source, or not? Apparently not.

Why on earth would anyone believe anything that comes from a writer who embellishes and lies? Are we just supposed to accept that he knows best and be happy with what he tells us, regardless ofwhether it's true or not?

danratherfingercopy5rb.jpg

Right Wing Kook Blames Public Radio for Investigation/Truth

Left/Democrat-Biased News person follows up on story and is attacked for pursuing truth? :cuckoo:

Obviously Public Radio & Public Televison are Left/Democrat-Biased, so why...

Last week, Marketplace’s China Correspondent Rob Schmitz and This American Life host Ira Glass confronted the monologue’s author Mike Daisey on air. Daisey, who is also an actor, admitted that he had fabricated portions of the account where he had met workers who had been poisoned by a toxic chemical while working in the factory. Daisey said he had wanted to “capture the totality” of his trip to China.

Forum List

Back