What is it that makes a man good?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I wasn't sure which forum to put this under. So i thought Id do this.

What is it that makes a man good? And yes I know the scriptures say that there are none good but God. But that's not what im talking about.

More what makes a man respectable?
What makes him have value among his fellow men?
What kind of attributes does this person have?

I don't want this to be a theological discussion as much as a moral/ethical type question.

Honest....upright....

My husband is a good man.

He is honest to the bone, he cares for others...even strangers, he puts no one down and shows respect to all who he meets...he also loves life, respects nature and animals, is patient, is always kind to others, and at the same time he has a sense of humor, loves sex, and most of all....he loves me.

And.... he knows God....he actually brought me, to know Him, after I had walked away.

Honest....upright....

He is honest to the bone, he cares for others...even strangers, he puts no one down and shows respect to all who he meets...he also loves life, respects nature and animals, is patient, is always kind to others, and at the same time he has a sense of humor, loves sex, and most of all....he loves me.

And.... he knows God....he actually brought me, to know Him, after I had walked away.

That sounds like a pretty good model to try to emulate.

I too would argue that actions define a man. What he chooses to do, what he does in an emergency, what he does without thinking. These all define what a man is.

The Bible though says that thoughts are just as important. One can sin with just the thought of a sin.

I prefer to believe that actions are what matter.

Empathetic and caring for his fellow Man, strong, wise and loving knowledge and its application, honest and scrupulous in all his dealings, true to his word, and never too eager to result to force yet not shying when it is necessary.

These things are what I mean when i call a person good.

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
J. C. Watts

I wasn't sure which forum to put this under. So i thought Id do this.

What is it that makes a man good? And yes I know the scriptures say that there are none good but God. But that's not what im talking about.

More what makes a man respectable?
What makes him have value among his fellow men?
What kind of attributes does this person have?

I don't want this to be a theological discussion as much as a moral/ethical type question.

Are you only interested in answers about men or are we talking about what makes a human being, male or female good?

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught.
J. C. Watts

Kinda reminds me of another quote I like. "When nothing you do matters, all that matters is what you do."

Honest....upright....

He sounds damned annoying.

*Disclaimer: For the idiots: That's a joke!*

Christ answered this question two thousand years ago:

Matthew 7:15-20 (King James Version)

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matthew 19:16-17 (King James Version)

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Last edited:
What makes a human being good? Kindness, clarity, compassion, generosity, ethics, patience, concentration and wisdom.

Forum List

Back