What is it like for you locally ?

Can anyone talk about their state representatives ?

I mean, this is almost weird.

I spent some time on our situation in Kansas.

Locally, I knew both my senator and house member. I even walked with them in 2010.

They were both redistricted out of my precinct and now I have two sets of newbies, one for senate, one for the house.

In each case one is a moderate....

The other is a conservative.....

They get lumped in with the others in the great struggle.

I also know several members of the City Council. I go to Council meetings sometimes and no one is there but developers.

Where are all the local government republicans ?

I mentioned local peeps and you ingnored it. Not sure what the fuck else you want.

Locally, I knew both my senator and house member. I even walked with them in 2010.

They were both redistricted out of my precinct and now I have two sets of newbies, one for senate, one for the house.

I also know several members of the City Council. I go to Council meetings sometimes and no one is there but developers.

And of course I know who my local guys are. It's not like I'm a Tennessee democrat that would vote for someone because their name was first on the list. :)

I met our state representative a few years ago when he was first running for the seat. I was impressed because when I called what I thought was his campaign office to find out what his positions on some of the then local issues, he answered the phone himself. He came to my business to introduce himself a few days later. I had occasion to call his office last year to ask about the possibility of getting an eminent domain bill on the docket and was amazed that he was still answering his own phone and remembered exactly who I was.
Our state senator is conservative and votes that way but I'm not a huge fan. I don't like that the first question you hear when you call his office is, "Are you a member of the Senator's district?". He may be a decent guy, but I'd like to see him hire office staff with better manners.
The Republicans currently hold both houses of the Tennessee legislature. I'm hoping that we'll see a little more serious legislation taken up during the nest session.

How is Tenncare working out for you ? Is that even a campaign issue anymore ?

Many doctors no longer take TennCare. Our last Governor cut about 350 thousand people from the roles and bought some breathing room, but Gov. Haslam will most likely have to deal with it again in the next year or so. There is not alot going on locally as our legislature is out of session.

I'm so intertwined with all of my city and county council men and women, I sometimes don't think of them in that light.
Our community is run by grove owners, business owners and chamber members, mostly.
Half of which I've grown up with. Heavily republican county.

State Representative Denise Grimsley's family owns a string of Citgo stations in this district. She's not running for rep this time. She has her eye on state senate.
I'll vote for my nephew for the state senate seat :D And Dane for her vacant seat as she's served her two terms....

I mentioned local peeps and you ingnored it. Not sure what the fuck else you want.

Relax Gramps....

Sorry if I missed something.

You need to give McCaskill the boot (or however you spell it).....

Relax Gramps....

Sorry if I missed something.

You need to give McCaskill the boot (or however you spell it).....

She is toast. She is losing to every gop challenger.

I'm so intertwined with all of my city and county council men and women, I sometimes don't think of them in that light.
Our community is run by grove owners, business owners and chamber members, mostly.
Half of which I've grown up with. Heavily republican county.

State Representative Denise Grimsley's family owns a string of Citgo stations in this district. She's not running for rep this time. She has her eye on state senate.
I'll vote for my nephew for the state senate seat :D And Dane for her vacant seat as she's served her two terms....

An interesting observation that many people don't often make.

Our city council is made up of people who tend to come from business (not all of them). They naturally gravitate towards that kind of thing as government is a part of their business.

On a local level, it is pretty transparent.

But it is the same model that we see in D.C. Only the stakes are much higher and the connections are often not known.

The mayor of my city is a bank manager.

Well,

Last night, the conservatives achieved their purposes.

Several moderate incumbents are soon to be ex-incumbents.

We are pretty excited that these liars are no longer going to be able to link up with democrats and shut down the will of the people.

I like my State Leg, for the most part.....the ones representing MY district, anyway.

I'm really hoping, nationally, Bill Nelson gets voted out and replaced with Connie Mack
:cool:

I've already personally told my US Congressman, Rooney, that I won't re-elect him because I strongly support term limits. But his opponent is SUCH a skeeze-wagon.
*shrug*
Who is his opponent?

And wasn't Connie Mack one of the Impeachment Managers?

The Kansas City star is now just whining it up.

The end of reason as they say.

Since when was Kansas ever reasonable.

Don't they read Thomas Frank ?

Last edited:

I don't read the Star anymore. They are so out of touch it's a joke.

My neighbor likes it for his daughters rabbit cage.

That is about the best thing I've heard about it.

While I was never a big fan of Steve Rose, I must say I was sorry to see the Sun cease operations. With no local news, city councils get away with murder.

I don't read the Star anymore. They are so out of touch it's a joke.

While I was never a big fan of Steve Rose, I must say I was sorry to see the Sun cease operations. With no local news, city councils get away with murder.

You a Kansascity boy?

Here in Kansas in 2006, Dennis Moore (D) easily held onto his 3 congressional district seat. Nancy Boyda (sp?) beat Jim Ryan in the 2nd congressional district. For "Red State" Kansas, the governor was up for re-election. This was Kathlene Sebelius, a democrat and the object of a lot of intense dislike on the part of the right. She massacred her opponent in what was really a non-election.

Red state Kansas had two of four members of the house as democrats. Both senators were republicans (Pat Roberts is pretty moderate), a democratic governor and and state house that was populated by democrats, moderates and conservatives (GOP). The moderates and conservatives clashed more than the democrats and conservatives. And the state has some pretty strange history as shown by the Dr. Tiller issue and some things that looked about the same.

Many conservatives lamented the way the national GOP (and George Bush) had really pissed away opportunity and good will. With the trouncing in 2006 and the coming onslaught of 2008 (no real good candidate and a lot of anger towards the GOP), it looked bleak.

But, a strange thing happened. In 2008, Lynn Jenkins (considered a fiscal conservative, but social moderate....not a combo many Kansas cons like) challenged for Jim Ryan's seat. I can't even recall if Ryan ran. Jenkins won the primary and then beat Boyda to become the only GOP pickup in the house that year. The rest of the election went to crap.

Then in 2009, it looked like the dems had started to screw things up and we had a chance of making gains. Robert Gibbs was the first to intonate that the house could fall to the GOP. He was derided by those in his party for being a Chicken Little. Soon, it became clear it wasn't if, but by how much. Dennis Moore declined to run again (rumors were he had early Alzhimers....). In a strange turn of events, the DEMS had become the toxic party in 2010 and none of their rising stars was interested in running this gauntlet. So they ran his wife (no experience, no exposure, and not much knowledge). The dems essentially ceded the seat to the GOP. Sam Brownback had already announced he was coming back to Kansas to run for Governor. Sebelius and departed (and was term limited) and Mark Parkison (a GOP turncoat) knew he would get creamed.

Most everyone knew Brownback's senate seat would stay GOP (we may have some regional issues, but it seems we like GOP senators).

At the local level, many of the so-called moderates took a beating. The house swung hard right. However, enough moderates (derisively called RINOs by the right) stayed on to thwart the GOP conservative agenda. It has been an interesting two years.

The moderates and conservatives are now in open warfare. The moderates held up the redistricting process to the point a judge had to draw the lines and really pissed the conservatives off to no end.

But Kansas conservatives are on a roll and loaded for bare. Many of the remaining moderates have retired. They know what is coming. However, there are many contentious races still in the making (the liberals hold most of the school board spots here in Johnson County BTW...for some reasons, local politics don't mean squat to the GOP...which touts local politics....just pisses me off).

Anyway, it is no secret that the conservatives want full control and want the mods/RINOs out of the way. It looks like that will pretty much happen.

What is going on in your state ?

Well I live in Northern Lower Michigan and if you went by how people feel all over Northern Michigan you would think Romney has a shot at taking Michigan. But the Truth is all you have to Do is Carry the Detroit area and you can win Michigan, and that Area is Clearly going to go Obama.

Here in Kansas in 2006, Dennis Moore (D) easily held onto his 3 congressional district seat. Nancy Boyda (sp?) beat Jim Ryan in the 2nd congressional district. For "Red State" Kansas, the governor was up for re-election. This was Kathlene Sebelius, a democrat and the object of a lot of intense dislike on the part of the right. She massacred her opponent in what was really a non-election.

Red state Kansas had two of four members of the house as democrats. Both senators were republicans (Pat Roberts is pretty moderate), a democratic governor and and state house that was populated by democrats, moderates and conservatives (GOP). The moderates and conservatives clashed more than the democrats and conservatives. And the state has some pretty strange history as shown by the Dr. Tiller issue and some things that looked about the same.

Many conservatives lamented the way the national GOP (and George Bush) had really pissed away opportunity and good will. With the trouncing in 2006 and the coming onslaught of 2008 (no real good candidate and a lot of anger towards the GOP), it looked bleak.

But, a strange thing happened. In 2008, Lynn Jenkins (considered a fiscal conservative, but social moderate....not a combo many Kansas cons like) challenged for Jim Ryan's seat. I can't even recall if Ryan ran. Jenkins won the primary and then beat Boyda to become the only GOP pickup in the house that year. The rest of the election went to crap.

Then in 2009, it looked like the dems had started to screw things up and we had a chance of making gains. Robert Gibbs was the first to intonate that the house could fall to the GOP. He was derided by those in his party for being a Chicken Little. Soon, it became clear it wasn't if, but by how much. Dennis Moore declined to run again (rumors were he had early Alzhimers....). In a strange turn of events, the DEMS had become the toxic party in 2010 and none of their rising stars was interested in running this gauntlet. So they ran his wife (no experience, no exposure, and not much knowledge). The dems essentially ceded the seat to the GOP. Sam Brownback had already announced he was coming back to Kansas to run for Governor. Sebelius and departed (and was term limited) and Mark Parkison (a GOP turncoat) knew he would get creamed.

Most everyone knew Brownback's senate seat would stay GOP (we may have some regional issues, but it seems we like GOP senators).

At the local level, many of the so-called moderates took a beating. The house swung hard right. However, enough moderates (derisively called RINOs by the right) stayed on to thwart the GOP conservative agenda. It has been an interesting two years.

The moderates and conservatives are now in open warfare. The moderates held up the redistricting process to the point a judge had to draw the lines and really pissed the conservatives off to no end.

But Kansas conservatives are on a roll and loaded for bare. Many of the remaining moderates have retired. They know what is coming. However, there are many contentious races still in the making (the liberals hold most of the school board spots here in Johnson County BTW...for some reasons, local politics don't mean squat to the GOP...which touts local politics....just pisses me off).

Anyway, it is no secret that the conservatives want full control and want the mods/RINOs out of the way. It looks like that will pretty much happen.

What is going on in your state ?

Well I live in Northern Lower Michigan and if you went by how people feel all over Northern Michigan you would think Romney has a shot at taking Michigan. But the Truth is all you have to Do is Carry the Detroit area and you can win Michigan, and that Area is Clearly going to go Obama.

How about your state legislature ? Is it more GOP than dem ?

Don't you have a GOP governor ?

You a Kansascity boy?

Lenexa

Lee's Summit here. But we work all over KC. In overland park mostly

Need a bath remodel look me up...jmstile.com

Hey...

We made national news......

Review & Outlook: Kansas Voter Uprising - WSJ.com

America's grass-roots voter rebellion continued on Tuesday, most notably in Kansas, where at least nine incumbent Republicans in the state Senate lost their primary re-election bids to conservative challengers.

One big winner is Governor Sam Brownback, who campaigned in 2010 promising a tax cut to make the slow-growth Kansas economy more competitive. But his plan to reduce tax rates and close loopholes ran into trouble in the Senate, which has been controlled by GOP moderates led by President Steve Morris. The Governor managed to pass his ...

All this talk of eating your own. These morons were given the boot. Now, the state will run with a conservative legislature and a conservative governor. You can bet the libs will try to use the courts.....but with limited effect.

Early next year Obama will get a not saying that his health care reform won't be happening in Kansas.

My congressperson is Marcy Kaptur and Senator Sherrod Brown. Marcy beat Dennis Kucinich in the primary and will easily hold her seat. Sherrod is polling very well and is expected to hold his seat as well. Sherrod is being bombed with attack ads but they aren't working here.

Love them both.

7.2% unemployment where you are, courtesy of Bam stealing from the permanently bluestates, since they'll go Dem anyway no matter what, to give to the important swing states like Ohio and Union owned GM and Chrysler. Still can remember the Congress in Columbus last October, acres and acres of GM dealers on the Fairgrounds whoring out Chevrolet pickups trying to gain market share, not a Ford to be found anywhere. Ford, one of the last privately owned independent automakers, needs profits to stay in business, not a single taxpayer dollar to be found on their balance sheet in their annual reports.
Over here, in deep dark bluestate New England, the voters even claim to see the Ghosts of FDR, JFK, and his brothers standing by the voting booths, politely holding the curtain open for them as they enter, so most admit they don't have the heart to vote against them. The last one that claimed to have seen Teddy said they swore Teddy was surrounded by thirty or so Mexican Senoritas clinging to him. All the candidates for House and Senate lie like rugs, ie Lieawatha Fauxcahontas, in Mass and Dick Blumenthal in Connecticut. The Dem Candidate for one House district here got caught having a bagman, an SEIU union steward no less, going around collecting bribes from the roll your own smokeshops in order to hold back a Legislative bill increasing taxes on the roll your own shops when he was in the State Legislature. His campaign manager, assistant campaign manager, and the SEIU Union steward are all cooling their heels in the FBI lockup, the candidate himself is still out there stumping the campaign trail and on the telly commercials pretending he's an honest man. He'll more than likely win. The SEIU is probably making up, as I write, a bag of 10,000 uncounted exclusively Democratic ballots to be discovered 36 hours after the polls close just like they did in 2010 when the Democratic gubernatorial candidate came up 8,000 votes short.

Forum List

Back