What is it like for you locally ?

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Here in Kansas in 2006, Dennis Moore (D) easily held onto his 3 congressional district seat. Nancy Boyda (sp?) beat Jim Ryan in the 2nd congressional district. For "Red State" Kansas, the governor was up for re-election. This was Kathlene Sebelius, a democrat and the object of a lot of intense dislike on the part of the right. She massacred her opponent in what was really a non-election.

Red state Kansas had two of four members of the house as democrats. Both senators were republicans (Pat Roberts is pretty moderate), a democratic governor and and state house that was populated by democrats, moderates and conservatives (GOP). The moderates and conservatives clashed more than the democrats and conservatives. And the state has some pretty strange history as shown by the Dr. Tiller issue and some things that looked about the same.

Many conservatives lamented the way the national GOP (and George Bush) had really pissed away opportunity and good will. With the trouncing in 2006 and the coming onslaught of 2008 (no real good candidate and a lot of anger towards the GOP), it looked bleak.

But, a strange thing happened. In 2008, Lynn Jenkins (considered a fiscal conservative, but social moderate....not a combo many Kansas cons like) challenged for Jim Ryan's seat. I can't even recall if Ryan ran. Jenkins won the primary and then beat Boyda to become the only GOP pickup in the house that year. The rest of the election went to crap.

Then in 2009, it looked like the dems had started to screw things up and we had a chance of making gains. Robert Gibbs was the first to intonate that the house could fall to the GOP. He was derided by those in his party for being a Chicken Little. Soon, it became clear it wasn't if, but by how much. Dennis Moore declined to run again (rumors were he had early Alzhimers....). In a strange turn of events, the DEMS had become the toxic party in 2010 and none of their rising stars was interested in running this gauntlet. So they ran his wife (no experience, no exposure, and not much knowledge). The dems essentially ceded the seat to the GOP. Sam Brownback had already announced he was coming back to Kansas to run for Governor. Sebelius and departed (and was term limited) and Mark Parkison (a GOP turncoat) knew he would get creamed.

Most everyone knew Brownback's senate seat would stay GOP (we may have some regional issues, but it seems we like GOP senators).

At the local level, many of the so-called moderates took a beating. The house swung hard right. However, enough moderates (derisively called RINOs by the right) stayed on to thwart the GOP conservative agenda. It has been an interesting two years.

The moderates and conservatives are now in open warfare. The moderates held up the redistricting process to the point a judge had to draw the lines and really pissed the conservatives off to no end.

But Kansas conservatives are on a roll and loaded for bare. Many of the remaining moderates have retired. They know what is coming. However, there are many contentious races still in the making (the liberals hold most of the school board spots here in Johnson County BTW...for some reasons, local politics don't mean squat to the GOP...which touts local politics....just pisses me off).

Anyway, it is no secret that the conservatives want full control and want the mods/RINOs out of the way. It looks like that will pretty much happen.

What is going on in your state ?

This came to me in an e-mail.

Incredibly, not long ago Kansas was the only state to have a loss in private sector jobs over a year-long period. This is the culmination of governance by the coalition of moderate, traditional Kansas Republicans and Democrats.
Analysis in the current edition of Rich States, Poor States: ALEC-Laffer State Economic Competitiveness Index confirms that the Kansas economy has not performed well. The “Economic Outlook Ranking” is a forecast looking forward, based on factors that are under control of the states. The “Economic Performance Ranking” is a backward-looking rating that measures state performance, again using variables under control of each state.

For Economic Performance Ranking, Kansas is ranked 39 among the states, near the bottom in terms of positive performance. In the 2010 edition, Kansas was ranked 40th, and in 2010, 34th. Kansas is not making progress in this ranking of state performance. In the forward-looking Economic Outlook Ranking, Kansas ranks 26th. Again, Kansas is not making progress, compared to other states. In annual rankings since 2008 Kansas has been ranked 29, 24, 25, 27, and now 26.

Do any of you have the same problem with cons/mods in your state ?

In TN we have a decent congresstional delegation and a couple of RINOS as senators.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Barbara Lee, only bested by Maxine Waters for the distinction of Stooopidest Person in Congress.

But she doesn't speak for me.

Here in the carolinas all the rednecks have started driving priuses and going to dressage events to be more manly like Mittens. Yesterday there was an altercation between fluttershy fans and rafalka fans. Of course, the bronies won being a tad bit more manly than republicans at this point. Then I went to Charlotte and hung out with some of my out of work Nascar team owners, and we had a bowl of cheesy grits and went shopping for velvet tophats.

I never thought I would long for the days when republicans were so bad ass they hunted crippled animals in cages and made their friends apologize for ruining their shot by catching the buckshot with their face. Dic Cheney may have been pure evil, but at least he was feared. He would have never been caught dead admitting to even knowing what the fuck dressage was. GWB was horrible, but he would have at least given mittens the fucking wedgie he deserved and then kicking his prissy little ass the fuck out of the white house until he grew a pair.

I miss real men in the Republican party.

Eh... Most of the people in SE Iowa are pissed off at all the other retards in other states who still support the two party system. I would guess that it's the majority of the state but I can certainly say it's in SE Iowa.

I don't know. I'll have to download the app to find out where the Dems are.

AKA "Tee hee! IDK, I just vote for those that have an (R) next to their name and trash those that don't have it. Does that mean I did good?"

Last edited:
Here in the carolinas all the rednecks have started driving priuses and going to dressage events to be more manly like Mittens. Yesterday there was an altercation between fluttershy fans and rafalka fans. Of course, the bronies won being a tad bit more manly than republicans at this point. Then I went to Charlotte and hung out with some of my out of work Nascar team owners, and we had a bowl of cheesy grits and went shopping for velvet tophats.

I never thought I would long for the days when republicans were so bad ass they hunted crippled animals in cages and made their friends apologize for ruining their shot by catching the buckshot with their face. Dic Cheney may have been pure evil, but at least he was feared. He would have never been caught dead admitting to even knowing what the fuck dressage was. GWB was horrible, but he would have at least given mittens the fucking wedgie he deserved and then kicking his prissy little ass the fuck out of the white house until he grew a pair.

I miss real men in the Republican party.

What does your local state legislature look like now and what direction is it going in ?

Is it GOP ?

Do you have the same issue we do with mods/cons in the GOP ?

I like my State Leg, for the most part.....the ones representing MY district, anyway.

I'm really hoping, nationally, Bill Nelson gets voted out and replaced with Connie Mack
:cool:

I've already personally told my US Congressman, Rooney, that I won't re-elect him because I strongly support term limits. But his opponent is SUCH a skeeze-wagon.
*shrug*

I don't know. I'll have to download the app to find out where the Dems are.

AKA "Tee hee! IDK, I just vote for those that have an (R) next to their name and trash those that don't have it. Does that mean I did good?"

Well, given what I wrote in the OP.....you'd see that is a stupid statement.

If you understood stupid.

But you obviously don't since you still post.

Here in Kansas in 2006, Dennis Moore (D) easily held onto his 3 congressional district seat. Nancy Boyda (sp?) beat Jim Ryan in the 2nd congressional district. For "Red State" Kansas, the governor was up for re-election. This was Kathlene Sebelius, a democrat and the object of a lot of intense dislike on the part of the right. She massacred her opponent in what was really a non-election.

Red state Kansas had two of four members of the house as democrats. Both senators were republicans (Pat Roberts is pretty moderate), a democratic governor and and state house that was populated by democrats, moderates and conservatives (GOP). The moderates and conservatives clashed more than the democrats and conservatives. And the state has some pretty strange history as shown by the Dr. Tiller issue and some things that looked about the same.

Many conservatives lamented the way the national GOP (and George Bush) had really pissed away opportunity and good will. With the trouncing in 2006 and the coming onslaught of 2008 (no real good candidate and a lot of anger towards the GOP), it looked bleak.

But, a strange thing happened. In 2008, Lynn Jenkins (considered a fiscal conservative, but social moderate....not a combo many Kansas cons like) challenged for Jim Ryan's seat. I can't even recall if Ryan ran. Jenkins won the primary and then beat Boyda to become the only GOP pickup in the house that year. The rest of the election went to crap.

Then in 2009, it looked like the dems had started to screw things up and we had a chance of making gains. Robert Gibbs was the first to intonate that the house could fall to the GOP. He was derided by those in his party for being a Chicken Little. Soon, it became clear it wasn't if, but by how much. Dennis Moore declined to run again (rumors were he had early Alzhimers....). In a strange turn of events, the DEMS had become the toxic party in 2010 and none of their rising stars was interested in running this gauntlet. So they ran his wife (no experience, no exposure, and not much knowledge). The dems essentially ceded the seat to the GOP. Sam Brownback had already announced he was coming back to Kansas to run for Governor. Sebelius and departed (and was term limited) and Mark Parkison (a GOP turncoat) knew he would get creamed.

Most everyone knew Brownback's senate seat would stay GOP (we may have some regional issues, but it seems we like GOP senators).

At the local level, many of the so-called moderates took a beating. The house swung hard right. However, enough moderates (derisively called RINOs by the right) stayed on to thwart the GOP conservative agenda. It has been an interesting two years.

The moderates and conservatives are now in open warfare. The moderates held up the redistricting process to the point a judge had to draw the lines and really pissed the conservatives off to no end.

But Kansas conservatives are on a roll and loaded for bare. Many of the remaining moderates have retired. They know what is coming. However, there are many contentious races still in the making (the liberals hold most of the school board spots here in Johnson County BTW...for some reasons, local politics don't mean squat to the GOP...which touts local politics....just pisses me off).

Anyway, it is no secret that the conservatives want full control and want the mods/RINOs out of the way. It looks like that will pretty much happen.

10.8% unemployment.....hey so things are looking up.....

Here in Nevada, we've been stuck with Harry Reid.

But, so has the rest of the country.................

Thanks to the teabaggers, I hope more gain traction to assure more easy dem wins :clap2::clap2:

Hopefully, they won't make that mistake again. As much as I dislike Harry Reid, I couldn't believe that Sharron Angle beat Sue Lowden in the NV. primaries (shows HOW important primaries really are!).
At the time, I did not ever say anything favorable about Angle, but also could not say anything favorable either about Reid.

We have our first Dem congressman ever, Andrew Cuomo looks like a good bet for 2016. None of the things you've heard about the Empire State are true, dupes. We're #1. Since Cal went Hispanic.

In TN we have a decent congresstional delegation and a couple of RINOS as senators.

What about your state legislature ?

The GOP is supposed to be about local politics.

oh the state legislature is FINALLY republican. in 2008 we had a 1 seat majority, first time we had a majority in the house (so it's my contention that the dixiecrats did not join the republican part since we got a majority after say 40 years of Nixon's southern strategy)
But we finally got it in 2008 and kent williams, sold us out. He got every democrat to vote for him for speaker, so they could split the committee chairmenships. In 2010 we elected more republicans and he's no longer the speaker..

Williams was elected as speaker of the Tennessee House on January 13, 2009, in a surprising divergence from the Republican party's accepted plan for succession. Democrats, who had lost the majority in the House for the first time since 1969, threw their support behind Williams as a means of keeping House Majority Leader Jason Mumpower out of the office.[7][8][9] Williams, one of 50 Republicans in the 99-seat House, voted for himself alongside the assembly's 49 Democrats to clinch the position, defeating Mumpower by a vote of 50 to 49.[10] Outgoing speaker Jimmy Naifeh instructed the House clerk to depart from the normal practice of conducting a roll call of the members in alphabetical order, instead calling first on the Democrats, then on the Republicans. This allowed Williams to vote last, so that before he voted he knew that his vote for himself would be the deciding vote. After the vote he was booed[10] and called a "traitor." Subsequently, Williams voted with the Democrats to elect Democrat Lois DeBerry as speaker pro-tem over Republican Beth Harwell.

And this is why I love playing with liberals that just soak up the indoctrination of racial politics....they dont know anything about the "southern" strategy, except what their teachers tell them, and they arent biased...naaaaaaaaah

Forum List

Back