What Is Heaven or Paradise or the Afterlife?

Okay, Amanda, you're going to tell me that Diamond Dave, someone with whom I end up most of the time getting angry communicating, and everyone else on this thread, didn't think there was any "set up" coming if they responded to the OP or that I had some sort of ulterior motive for writing it, no to mention that I didn't have an ulterior motive for asking the questions I did, but you somehow objectively could sense my agenda because the tone didn't seem innocent to you?

But this is supposed to be innocent?: especially considering the dynamics between us? Yeah, okay.

If you don't want your beliefs challenged, don't reply to posts that challenge them. In fact, don't read them, cause we wouldn't want you to accidentally revise your beliefs or opinions in light of new evidence, information, or experiences. That's what these forums are about: debating, arguing, communicating, challengin people's dogmatically held beliefs, and interacting with people of different backgrounds and perspectives which may or may not align well with one's own.

Your perspective and mine don't jibe well, and I have been reading more and more of your posts which are no more than criticisms of mine or attacks against me. This leads me to suspect that you either are so different from me that my very opinions, writing style, and tone are repugnant to you or you just really dislike me for some reason and enjoy looking for and especially finding flaws in the things I write. Either way its too bad because we got along when we first interacted. You're even one of my official USMB 'Friends'.

Sung to the famous Everly Bros. tune:
You've lost that civil feeling...
Whoa-oo, that civil feeling...
You've lost that civil feeling!
Now its gone, gone, gone,
Whoa-oo-whoa-oo-whoa.
D-dah, d-dah, d-dah-dah-dah-dah...

I'm really disappointed, CMM. I can openly admit to my bias. I can set that aside and respond without letting that influence me, as I did in this thread. I was straightforward, gave my best answer and didn't inject any pontificating. I took you at face value. It's too bad you can't do the same. I can only hope your little song parody was for you, because I can't recall ever being less than civil to you... I certainly never penned parody lyrics to demean you.

So, given the context of our so-called USMB relationship I suspected you asked so you could beat people over the head with their beliefs, which, IMO, is not ok.

How do you feel about beating the actors of 9/11 on the dome about thier beliefs?
You cannot respect every fucking humans belief system. I know your MSMB character is a ditzy 90210 soundin chick but coooooommmmmon.

Are you comparing the 9/11 hijackers to CMM? That's harsh.

I believe everyone's faith is a sacred thing and not open for criticism. I don't think it's ok to bait people into talking openly about their faith and then ambush them and use their openness against them. Hope that clears it up for you. :)

The rest of those deemed worthy will be restored to a perfect health in a body and live on a restored Earth ruled by Jesus for God, aided by the 144000. There will be no sickness or disease, no death, no wanting for anything. Peace will envelope the Earth and mankind.
Sounds like Dullsville to me.

no worries---you can find a loophole.

I'll smuggle in a nuke.

"Honestly mister god, I did not know that was in my bag."

Is huggy and coloradoman one in the same person?

Not even close.

Do all nonbelievers look the same to you?

What is heaven or paradise or the afterlife?

What comes to mind, is the question, "If you want to keep getting what you're getting, keep doing what you're doing."

If you want to know what kind of afterlife you're going to have, notice what your mind habitually does in this life now.

I think a lot of believers have different "versions" of heaven.

Me?

I hope to be reunited with my dad, brother, sister, sister in law, grandparents, friends, and even old boyfriends.

I just envision hanging out with my family and friends, more spiritual than physical, if that makes sense.

That's a common view of what heaven is. You're reunited with those people you've lost that you're attached to in this one life.

In your view, heaven is a cozy community, and you're with those you love.

What Is Heaven or Paradise or the Afterlife?

I don't know, I'm not quite dead yet. But if there's is a way to communicate with you when I die, I'll give you a buzz and let you know what it's like or if the whole thing is a sham. :)

Every tradition has their views on the afterlife, we don't get out of life alive, so who's to know for certain.

What's more important is what we do with life now, while we're alive--like show up for it.

Coloradomtnman, you stated that you stumble upon logic that supports the idea of a creator, but then through scrutiny you find flaws...

please if you care to share, what are these flaws that you find??? what is there that refutes the existence of a creator?

"what is there that refutes the existence of a creator?"

How about the fact that there's no proof yet that a creator exists?

Coloradomtnman, you stated that you stumble upon logic that supports the idea of a creator, but then through scrutiny you find flaws...

please if you care to share, what are these flaws that you find??? what is there that refutes the existence of a creator?

Well, I should've wrote "seems logical at the time but upon further scrutiny I find that it isn't."

The flaws I find are anything. For a couple of hours once I thought that the very existence of the Universe had to have a intelligent source behind it for various reasons. But then it occurred to me that, no, it didn't. The Universe could exist just because that is the nature of the Universe.

Nothing refutes the existence of a creator, but nothing supports it either.

You people that have been suckered into thinking that there is anything after your death are worse than stupid. You enable your leaders into cheating others out of a full life here and now also.

We all have different ideas as to what heaven is and where it is. If there is a heaven or an afterlife, and I do believe there is, I have to believe that it is not a part of this universe as we know it but is part of another dimension or realm, whatever you want to call it. We think of everything as being linear, that the universe as we know it is all that is. The problem with that is that we don't even truly understand our own universe, and we're not even sure how it came about, or whether it has always been here.

I don't see the next part of our life as being the end. I don't believe the good go to heaven and live a wonderful boring life worshiping God. I believe that the complexity of our own existence, the struggle between good and bad, will continue on as we do. It is taught that there is a battle going on between God and Satan, the battle between good and evil. We are also told that God will prevail, yet the battle continues. So to me, it stands to reason that this battle is ongoing, has been, and will be forever.

I believe that heaven is just another existence where we will continue to learn, to become better individuals and to grow. Will we be married? I don't think that it will matter. Marriage and monomgamy and all that good stuff is based on sex, which is an aspect of our current lives. If we didn't have the need for sex to procreate, and we also didn't have the hormones driving our need for sexual gratification, why would we need sex? We certainly wouldn't miss it if we didn't have the hormones to drive it.

The possibilities are infinite as to what heaven is. I really don't worry about it. And if for some reason I am wrong and this is it, well, I'll never know once I'm gone, so it won't be a big deal. That thought is a rather sad one, but if it is, so be it, because there is nothing any of us can do to change that. I prefer to keep my faith in God and faith that there is something more to us, and that we actually have a greater purpose than just taking up space in this universe for a speck in time.

You people that have been suckered into thinking that there is anything after your death are worse than stupid. You enable your leaders into cheating others out of a full life here and now also.

I don't understand why believing there is something after death cheats anyone out of anything. If people pretend to be good in hopes of an eternal reward they are cheating themselves, God can see through that strategy. I don't see how my belief has a negative impact on anyone, myself included.

Nothing refutes the existence of a creator, but nothing supports it either.

You've just described faith.

I don't understand why believing there is something after death cheats anyone out of anything. If people pretend to be good in hopes of an eternal reward they are cheating themselves, God can see through that strategy. I don't see how my belief has a negative impact on anyone, myself included.

I know I come off as an idiot at times but on this point I am serious.

Defering to a pretend future and outcome cheats the present. Do I have to point out all of the ways doing right in the here and now can be robbed by promising ones apology for forgiveness at the end of ones life?

Defering to a pretend future and outcome cheats the present. Do I have to point out all of the ways doing right in the here and now can be robbed by promising ones apology for forgiveness at the end of ones life?

Don't be so hard on yourself, I like you.

Why does anyone have to be deferring. I don't think I do. I'm really very happy with most of my life and the things I'm not thrilled about aren't really in my control. I believe in God and doing nice things for people and I don't think I'm missing out on anything. What am I being cheated out of?

Why does anyone have to be deferring. I don't think I do. I'm really very happy with most of my life and the things I'm not thrilled about aren't really in my control. I believe in God and doing nice things for people and I don't think I'm missing out on anything. What am I being cheated out of?

We are all cheated by the miss use of what we have.

We are all cheated by the miss use of what we have.

I'm starting to think you don't have much of an answer. My faith makes me happy, how am I missing out on anything because I have it?

Forum List

Back