What Is Heaven or Paradise or the Afterlife?

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
I'm an agnostic and so I assume, since there is no evidence of an afterlife, that there isn't one. I think about it a lot, struggle to come to terms with it, but I have come to accept it. That might seem really depressing to you believers out there, and I have to admit that it isn't the most optimistic perspective, but that's life, or that's afterlife I should say. Sometimes I think that I've stumbled upon some idea that logically supports that there is a creator, but as I analyze and think critically about the idea, I find its flaws. But I never stop looking, cause let me tell you, if there is a God and an afterlife, I will be happy as Hell! But I need some proof, that's the catch.

I've seen movies which depict Heaven and there are a variety of different versions: there's the white-robed winged angels, the clouds, etc.; there's how Heaven was depicted in "What Dreams May Come"; but I am not quite sure how Christians perceive exactly what or how Heaven is.

I don't know enough about Islam to know how they perceive Paradise other than the whole 72 or however many virgins thing, and something tells me that's just how the extremists and fundamentalists see it. Kalam?

Do Jews believe in an afterlife?

Hinduism and Buddhism don't count cause we're, according to their faiths, already there. Though, with Buddhism, one does eventually reach Nirvana (which sounds horrible because I can't stand grunge music).

There are some things which confuse me. I heard that in Heaven you are no longer married. That seems sad to me. Are you still you? Do you still remember your life on Earth, and if you do, do you still feel love for the people you loved when you were alive?
I think the Mormons have the Seven Levels of Heaven, and those whose works merit it, reach the level closest to God. So is that it, one change only? Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! And then the sale ends?

From my perspective, Heaven or Paradise, wouldn't and couldn't be perfect. If I couldn't die, then mountaineering wouldn't be as exciting as it is. I would want to climb the highest mountains ever in Heaven because that would be Heaven for me, but if I fell and I just ended up at the bottom perfecly okay or even just beaten and bloody, that would take the fun out of it. In fact, mountaineering would have little point in Heaven. Yet it is a major part of my personality and has been a big factor in shaping me. What do you do all day in Heaven? And whatever it is, wouldn't it get boring say 10 trillion years down the road when you've done everything? How does God keep it interesting up there? Can you smoke pot in Heaven or get drunk with Jesus, cause that's what I would want to do: party down with Socrates, Hume, Homer, Shakespeare, Jerry Garcia (man), Marilyn Monroe (just cause she's hot!), you know, all the cool cats. Would I get to do that?

As a believer, how much do you live your life so that you will, when you die, go to Heaven or Paradise or wherever you believe your soul or consciousness goes when it leaves your body? How much of a factor does is that in your everyday behavior? How much of a role does that you want to go to Heaven play a role in your beliefs?

Would anyone mind describing or explaining Heaven, or Paradise, and or what Jews believe here? I thought it might make for some interesting conversation...

I'm an agnostic and so I assume, since there is no evidence of an afterlife, that there isn't one. I think about it a lot, struggle to come to terms with it, but I have come to accept it. That might seem really depressing to you believers out there, and I have to admit that it isn't the most optimistic perspective, but that's life, or that's afterlife I should say. Sometimes I think that I've stumbled upon some idea that logically supports that there is a creator, but as I analyze and think critically about the idea, I find its flaws. But I never stop looking, cause let me tell you, if there is a God and an afterlife, I will be happy as Hell! But I need some proof, that's the catch.

I've seen movies which depict Heaven and there are a variety of different versions: there's the white-robed winged angels, the clouds, etc.; there's how Heaven was depicted in "What Dreams May Come"; but I am not quite sure how Christians perceive exactly what or how Heaven is.

I don't know enough about Islam to know how they perceive Paradise other than the whole 72 or however many virgins thing, and something tells me that's just how the extremists and fundamentalists see it. Kalam?

Do Jews believe in an afterlife?

Hinduism and Buddhism don't count cause we're, according to their faiths, already there. Though, with Buddhism, one does eventually reach Nirvana (which sounds horrible because I can't stand grunge music).

There are some things which confuse me. I heard that in Heaven you are no longer married. That seems sad to me. Are you still you? Do you still remember your life on Earth, and if you do, do you still feel love for the people you loved when you were alive?
I think the Mormons have the Seven Levels of Heaven, and those whose works merit it, reach the level closest to God. So is that it, one change only? Sunday, Sunday, Sunday! And then the sale ends?

From my perspective, Heaven or Paradise, wouldn't and couldn't be perfect. If I couldn't die, then mountaineering wouldn't be as exciting as it is. I would want to climb the highest mountains ever in Heaven because that would be Heaven for me, but if I fell and I just ended up at the bottom perfecly okay or even just beaten and bloody, that would take the fun out of it. In fact, mountaineering would have little point in Heaven. Yet it is a major part of my personality and has been a big factor in shaping me. What do you do all day in Heaven? And whatever it is, wouldn't it get boring say 10 trillion years down the road when you've done everything? How does God keep it interesting up there? Can you smoke pot in Heaven or get drunk with Jesus, cause that's what I would want to do: party down with Socrates, Hume, Homer, Shakespeare, Jerry Garcia (man), Marilyn Monroe (just cause she's hot!), you know, all the cool cats. Would I get to do that?

As a believer, how much do you live your life so that you will, when you die, go to Heaven or Paradise or wherever you believe your soul or consciousness goes when it leaves your body? How much of a factor does is that in your everyday behavior? How much of a role does that you want to go to Heaven play a role in your beliefs?

Would anyone mind describing or explaining Heaven, or Paradise, and or what Jews believe here? I thought it might make for some interesting conversation...

What Is Heaven or Paradise or the Afterlife?

Nonsense.

I think a lot of believers have different "versions" of heaven.

Me?

I hope to be reunited with my dad, brother, sister, sister in law, grandparents, friends, and even old boyfriends.

I just envision hanging out with my family and friends, more spiritual than physical, if that makes sense.

I believe that there are many worlds beyond this one, more than any god can visit and more than any man can imagine.

I believe that there are many gods, and that every god has his or her own hall, his or her own home to share with the other gods and with any mortals that he or she deems worthy. And I believe that the conditions in each god's hall are much as the god wishes them to be, for their own comfort and for how they wish to accommodate their guests.

I believe that the bulk of us, when we die, are not taken into the halls of our gods, but left instead of watch over the line of our descendants for all of eternity-- to be reunited with our long dead ancestors and with loved ones who have preceded us, and to wait with hopeful hearts to be rejoined with those we have left behind.

And I believe that to be reunited with your family, in a world beyond the sickness and death of this one, is a greater Paradise than any god can offer.

I believe there is something more.. but since I am a human and don't understand everything in the universe, I have no idea exactly what it is...

Many hope that it is like they want it to be.. Relatives, or clouds, or everything you ever dreamed, or whatever.. but I am man enough to fully admit I don't know and cannot fathom a guess

Thanks, Huggy, you always have something worthwhile to contribute...

I think it would be worthwhile if people stopped wasting thier lives on fantasies. Foundations of truth would lead to better societies. Childish thought leads to childish action.

Yeah, well, I agree, but I try not to be so abrasive about it. It represent us non-believers poorly and only hurts our recruitment numbers. Oh shit, did I just say that out-loud? Damn, now the believers know our true agenda! Satan's gonna be pissed when he finds out about this...

Thanks, Huggy, you always have something worthwhile to contribute...

I think it would be worthwhile if people stopped wasting thier lives on fantasies. Foundations of truth would lead to better societies. Childish thought leads to childish action.

Yeah, well, I agree, but I try not to be so abrasive about it. It represent us non-believers poorly and only hurts our recruitment numbers. Oh shit, did I just say that out-loud? Damn, now the believers know our true agenda! Satan's gonna be pissed when he finds out about this...

If the actors of 9/11 did not have that crap in thier noggins about whatever how many virgins in the afterlife do you think they would have done what they did?

I submit these fantasies ARE dangerous.

You know, as an agnostic, I can revise my opinions and beliefs, and I can acknowledge that science can't explain everything. I think that Shakespeare had it right and that...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

...applies to realm of human understanding and perception. That's why I remain open for new experiences and discoveries.

I believe there is something more.. but since I am a human and don't understand everything in the universe, I have no idea exactly what it is...

Many hope that it is like they want it to be.. Relatives, or clouds, or everything you ever dreamed, or whatever.. but I am man enough to fully admit I don't know and cannot fathom a guess

Very agnostic of you, Dave. I can respect and understand that perception.

Very agnostic of you, Dave. I can respect and understand that perception.

Now don't get me wrong.. I believe in God.. I believe God has played a part in the Earth/Universe as we know it... I Believe in Christ, and in Christ's religious teachings... but I do not believe there is any way of knowing exactly what 'heaven' or the afterlife spoken of in the Bible, truly is as an experience.. could be pearly gates, could be just a sense of feeling or being, could be another existence, but I don't know and I think nobody really has any real idea about it either.. not like it's a 2-way street with open communication

Guess where that is where the big old leap of faith comes in

Last edited:
Now don't get me wrong.. I believe in God.. I believe God has played a part in the Earth/Universe as we know it... I Believe in Christ, and in Christ's religious teachings... but I do not believe there is any way of knowing exactly what 'heaven' or the afterlife spoken of in the Bible, truly is as an experience.. could be pearly gates, could be just a sense of feeling or being, could be another existence, but I don't know and I think nobody really has any real idea about it either.. not like it's a 2-way street with open communication

Oh, I know you're a Christian, I just can respect the non-dogmatic perspective you have about the afterlife: you don't know. Neither do I nor anyone else.

You know what the truly scary part of an afterlife is? We're all going to the same place!!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!

Seriously though, only life itself exists (the rest is only a figment of our very fertile imagination). In other words, continuous reincarnation is what I'd put my money on.

Oh, I know you're a Christian, I just can respect the non-dogmatic perspective you have about the afterlife: you don't know. Neither do I nor anyone else.

Then why did you ask the question?

To see what people believed. Why, do you have an issue with me asking questions? It seems like it since you asked me why I asked?

I have no problem with the question.. as a matter of fact I like it...

And like when someone tells me they do believe in angels with trumpets and all your family, etc (like my grandmother)... I just smile and think to myself that I hope it is... but I am not going to squash her faith and dreams merely because I fully believe that I really don't know

To see what people believed. Why, do you have an issue with me asking questions? It seems like it since you asked me why I asked?

Oh does it? Why is that?

If your question was perfectly innocent why isn't mine?

Forum List

Back