What Is Happening In Iraq

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This is how it will go down. Many links and the reason we will overcome:

http://instapundit.com/archives/018050.php

2. Zxenith

Zxenith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Let me ask you, who do you think we are helping in Iraq? Would it be contradictory to ask also who we have killed and maimed in Iraq? Are we in Iraq for financial/corporate reasons? If not why are so many companies flocking over there when receiving lucrative "re-building" contracts.

I would like to know from people with different points of view from myself, to define a terrorist in Iraq, and how this differs from Iraqis who hate us and attack us? Define what a successful outcome in Iraq would be, and lastly define a democracy, and why/why not the current "Democratic" system set up by the United States truely is a democracy.

3. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,210
    While you're at it, why don't you just ask God for a one on one interview, and then you can ask him, after he's told you the meaning of life... :slap:

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    How can we know 'different'? If you don't tell us your point of view?

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Well, Zxenith, I'm sure that you have already formulated answers to these questions... why not fill us in on your opinions? Though from the tone of your post, you sound like a no-war-at-all-costs, anti-corporation Naderite. But I could be wrong.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,210
    It think your assessment is right on.

7. Zxenith

Zxenith Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I do not believe we should have went to war. The WMD rant that Bush used to lead us into war was a lie, and the urgency for invading the country was questionable, at best.

I do not believe we are in Iraq for all those feel-good quotes that Bush would like Americans to believe. We are not in Iraq for the Iraqi people. That is, of course, my perspective, and more importantly it seems to be the same way most Iraqis perceive it as well. That may explain why the "Insurgents" attack us us on a daily basis. I think its scary how this administration seems to categorize anyone who doesn't share the view of theirs as "terrorists". That might explain why so many "terrorists" are dying in Iraq, when I seemed to have the idea tha terrorists referred to a very small percentage of people, nothing resembling the thousands of people that the United States continue to battle against in Iraq.

But, in all honesty, can you really expect the citizens in Iraq to not hate us, after all the innocent people we killed or maimed down there?

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    In all honesty, you are way out of your league. :bat:

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Why don't you concentrate on the other 95% of the country that is happy we are there, because now they don't have to worry about their hands getting cut off , and tortured, by Hussein or his nutty megolamaniac sons? How about the fact that women will now have a say in the political process, and for the first time in years have basic civil and human rights. How about the Iraqis who are increasing in number who are making money from very sucessful busineses. How about asking the children who for the most part get to got to school in peace. How about better infrastructure, roads, buildings, the fact that Iraq will soon be making money from their vast oil reserves, that Hussein was pocketing for his luxurious many palaces and cars. It's hysterical how you see what was going on in Iraq before as much better than the bright future that Iraqi's now have to look foward to. There is always a cost for freedom, that's life!! Yes collateral damage happens it's sad, and in a perfect world there would be none. Just the fact that the terrorists are trying so hard to disrupt the progress and elections tells you all you need to know about who is winning and who is loosing. I can't beleive that even needed to be said :wtf:

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    What is happening in Iraq? Well, for one thing, what we dont see is headlines like this: 25 MILLION IRAQI CITIZENS DID NOT ATTACK ANYONE TODAY.

As of July 2004, the population of Iraq is listed as 25, 374, 691. Most of them are going on about their business trying to make a living, go to school, etc. We do not see headlines detailing the good things and good people over there, either Iraqi or coalition. It is much more "news worthy" to detail the problems of a reborn country and list the considered opinion of some talking head who may or may not know what the hell they are talking about and who may or may not have a personal axe to grind.

I have no exact figures to back this up, but it seems to me that a lot more innocent Iraqis are meeting their demise at the hands of the terrorists and many more at the hands of the former regime than have been killed by US and coalition forces. Anyone got any figures?