What is government?

Government is always dangerous. And the more you expect it to do for you the more dangerous it will become.

Government is a necessary evil made necessary by the fact that altogether too many human beings are themselves evil at the core.

Government is evil because it is, at it's heart antithetical to human freedom and will always strive with all it's might to acquire ever more power. The more power a government acquires the less free is the society over which it rules.

How do you know when you have too much government? I'd say shortly before 25% of GDP is spent on government. We now spend close to 50% per annum if one takes into account expenditures by state, local, and county authorities as well as the feds..

Last edited:
Done correctly?

Government is the embodiment of the will of the people it governs.

Done in reality?

Government is the embodiment of the will of those who have the most control over that society.

Government, much like other people generally, is a necessary evil.

Government is always dangerous. And the more you expect it to do for you the more dangerous it will become.

Government is a necessary evil made necessary by the fact that altogether too many human beings are themselves evil at the core.

Government is evil because it is, at it's heart antithetical to human freedom and will always strive with all it's might to acquire ever more power. The more power a government acquires the less free is the society over which it rules.

How do you know when you have too much government? I'd say shortly before 25% of GDP is spent on government. We now spend close to 50% per annum if one takes into account expenditures by state, local, and county authorities as well as the feds..

I think I have to disagree that government is necessary because of evil humans (although I won't argue that many are). I think it's necessary simply because the desires and interests of different individuals often conflict with each other, and must be moderated to accommodate each other as much as possible.

And, of course, there's the reason I gave earlier: that there are certain actions which must be taken by the community as a group, rather than by individual people.

Forum List

Back