What is going on with the Republican party?

ElmerMudd

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2009
Northwest
The party that espouses personal accountability and hard work are turning in to quitters.
Senator Mel Martinez, Senator Kay Baily and Govenor Sarah Palin all quit.
If we elect a modern day Republican in 2012 do we run the risk they may quit.

The party of family values has two of their leading candidates for the 2012 presidential nomination that do not value their families; Govenor Mark Stanford and Senator John Ensign.

The party of pragmatism that makes decisions with their brains rather than their heart like many liberals are not showing an intelligent constituency. The face of the Republican constituency are Joe the plumber and the overly emotional and uninformed protestors trying to stop any debate on healthcare reform.

The party of Lincoln is alienating the vast majority of minorities in our country.

What is going on?

It has become the party of "I've fallen and I can't get up"

They have been publicly slapped down in the last two elections and still cling to the pro gun, anti-abortion, anti-gay agenda that ignores the current problems of our country. They are more concerned with birth certificates and fear mongering than they are about our economy

It has become the party of "I've fallen and I can't get up"

They have been publicly slapped down in the last two elections and still cling to the pro gun, anti-abortion, anti-gay agenda that ignores the current problems of our country. They are more concerned with birth certificates and fear mongering than they are about our economy

As an independent, if the Republican party could get back to values previously discussed they will start attracting more independents.

Providing a bigger challenge to the Democrats will make the Democratic more responsive to a greter portion of the electorate.

The party that espouses personal accountability and hard work are turning in to quitters.
Senator Mel Martinez, Senator Kay Baily and Govenor Sarah Palin all quit.
If we elect a modern day Republican in 2012 do we run the risk they may quit.

The party of family values has two of their leading candidates for the 2012 presidential nomination that do not value their families; Govenor Mark Stanford and Senator John Ensign.

The party of pragmatism that makes decisions with their brains rather than their heart like many liberals are not showing an intelligent constituency. The face of the Republican constituency are Joe the plumber and the overly emotional and uninformed protestors trying to stop any debate on healthcare reform.

The party of Lincoln is alienating the vast majority of minorities in our country.

What is going on?

If you're talking about Kay Bailey Hutchison, she's just trying to change jobs and be governor of Texas.

Maybe not as much national influence there, but I wouldn't call that "quitting".

And as as far as the GOP in general is concerned, this is what happened:

crybaby_republican.jpg

:D

The GOP is in the exact same position the Democrats were in 2002 and 2003 and to a large extent 2004. Disorganized, leaderless and focusing on small inconsequentials as if they were the key to winning the elections.

[SIZE=+1]Consciousness of a Conservative:[/SIZE]
A Philosophy Without a Party - by Ted Rall
Link
Excerpt:
Conservatives think the election results prove that conservatism is in trouble. Actually, conservatism is fine. It's the Republican Party that's in trouble...In the United States, conservatism is a philosophy without a party... For the sake of my long-suffering conservative friends as well as the country, it's time to unravel the conflation of conservatism and the Republican Party. Why do I care? Simple: America needs conservatives--real conservatives. Deficit hawks, America Firsters and get-that-dang-guvmint-outta-my-bizness types are essential watchdogs of fiscal responsibility and personal freedom. Moreover, ideological diversity sparks intellectual innovation.

Ted's right. If Republicans were actually conservatives, their party would be more successful. But the party of smaller government was hijacked by the religio-crazies and the Neo-Cons.

RadiomanATL

The GOP is in the exact same position the Democrats were in 2002 and 2003 and to a large extent 2004. Disorganized, leaderless and focusing on small inconsequentials as if they were the key to winning the elections.

So far the most astute observation yet.

Until the republican party takes the reigns away from people like Rush Limbaugh, they will be leaderless. He uses inflamitory statesments, such as the lastest Nazi comments, and no republican disputes the comment. They are allowing him to dictate the parties ideologies. That is dangerous.

Until someone in the GOP steps up and proves they speak for the GOP and can restore the core values of the GOP, the party will continue to flounder. The GOP cannot allow the Democrats to become further drunk with power, as was Bush during the GOP controlled congress. The Democrats will certainly drift farther and farther to the left. A party unchallenged will begin to consume itself...

Sorry, but as a former republican, my former party is getting really scary
- Comparing the President the Nazis and being serious about it
- Denying the President is a real american
- Calling the President a racist
- Busing in and coaching protesters that healthcare is evil
- Fear mongering about gays
- undermining foreign policy
- stonewalling the economy
- refusing to compromise on any issue

Is there any question why moderates and independents are repulsed by this version of the republican party?

Is there any question why moderates and independents are repulsed by this version of the republican party?

Welcome to the independents ... ;)

It's not any better in the Dems right now either. Third party here we come!

I have a question as to why you're listing stereotypes and easily refutable leftist talking point complaints about republicans, as any kind of legit beef with them.

And I haven't voted for a single republican since '94.

neither you nor rightwinger fool anybody,, both are as left as you can get,,

Really??

I voted for Reagan and Daddy Bush four times. Unfortunately, the party I once admired is no more. Until they are completely destroyed and dump the right wing hate mongers, I'm not coming back

:rofl: Yeah sure.

Forum List

Back