What is going on with the Dems

jschuck12001

Sep 5, 2008
Florida
“We send our congratulations to Governor Sarah Palin and her family on her designation as the republican nominee for Vice President. It is yet another encouraging sign that old barriers are falling in our politics. While we obviously have differences over how best to lead this country forward Governor Palin is an admirable person and will add a compelling new voice to this campaign,” said Senator Barack Obama and Senator Joe Biden.

This is a quote recently from Barack and Joe. I am a registered Republican that is changing party affiliation and will be voting for Obama-Biden in November but I am extremely concerned. I watch the republicans play hardball and throw us under the bus consistantly. In the recent speeches from the Republican convention you watched Giuliani and Palen throw Barack and Biden under the bus and call them out. You tell me that the above response from us above is all we have. Listen up people, things have stayed the same for years. The reason the Dems can never get into Washington is because they are not fighters and wont stand up and go toe to toe with these lying sons of *****. The Republicans get nasty in every election and we cannot sit back and let them pound us into the ground with this stuff. I have studied these parties over time and obviously sought advice from older Dems like my Dad, mom and otthers and its always the same story. People want to see a toughness in their candidate and we will lose this election if we dont step up and defend ourselves and throw a few verbal jabs of our own. Unfortunately this is what many Americans want, they may not say it but you watch Palen and Mccain get up their and not talk about one single thing that they are going to fix or how they will fix it but they are getting rave reviews because they attacked the Dems and that somehow gives people confidence. I am tired of listening to the Repub;s using Hillary Clinton in their speeches and I have never heard Hillary stand up and say ", Dont use my name in your ads" I am starting to feel like the Democratic party is a party of wimps and if we lose this will be our downfall. They Republicans have stole our motto of change and we are letting them do it. I am so frustrated with whats going on I could scream. Watching the Republican convention, I see that they basically have stole their whole campaign slogans from the Dems and there are so many ignorant people in this world that they cant see it. How stupid is it to see a guy who has been in congress for 29 years all the sudden talk about change. As Americans are we that stupid? The Dems better toughen up or they will once again lose another election because they have no intestinal fortitude.

Well you're right. They are stupid, and they do screw themselves over regularly.

They're afraid to look nasty. A war vet and a woman is on the opposing ticket. They can't be nasty about the easy things so they may have to actually debate the issues.

Sadly, Obama is incapable of that.

Please explain, what part didnt[sic] you understand, I can walk thru it with you!

.... I am a registered Republican that is changing party affiliation and will be voting for Obama-Biden in November but I am extremely concerned. I watch the republicans play hardball and throw us under the bus consistantly.[sic] In the recent speeches from the Republican convention you watched Giuliani and Palen [sic] throw Barack and Biden under the bus and call them out. ....
"Throwing under the bus" means to sacrifice some other person, usually one who is undeserving or at least vulnerable, to make personal gain. For example: He'd throw his mother under the bus if it'd mean he could beat the rap. One is thrown under the bus when they are made the scapegoat or blamed for something that wasn't their responsibility in the first place. A coverup for your mistake.

Urban Dictionary: throw under the bus

1. You use the term to describe what “republicans” have done to you as a “registered Republican”, someone who is supposedly on the same team.
2. Then you use the same term to describe what “Giuliani and [Palin] have done to their opponents.

You’re obviously not a registered Republican and you have no intention of voting for one.

Well you're right. They are stupid, and they do screw themselves over regularly.

They're afraid to look nasty. A war vet and a woman is on the opposing ticket. They can't be nasty about the easy things so they may have to actually debate the issues.

Intersting that you would say that Obama is incapable of actually debating the issues. Especially after that vacuous speech that you Republicans are praising Sara Palin for. Did we just revert back to High School when all we had were petty, childish put-downs? Where was an issue raised in her speech? Where was the substance? Biden, who has been on the National stage for almost her entire life will mop the floor with her in a debate on the issues.

As far as why the Dems don't play hardball the way the Republicans do, maybe it's because they have too much dignity to crawl into the gutter with right-wingers. This should be about the issues, not about personal attacks. If the Republicans have a strong platform and a solid argument on the issues, let's keep the debate on an adult level. Clearly this is not the case, though.

"Throwing under the bus" means to sacrifice some other person, usually one who is undeserving or at least vulnerable, to make personal gain. For example: He'd throw his mother under the bus if it'd mean he could beat the rap. One is thrown under the bus when they are made the scapegoat or blamed for something that wasn't their responsibility in the first place. A coverup for your mistake.

Urban Dictionary: throw under the bus

1. You use the term to describe what “republicans” have done to you as a “registered Republican”, someone who is supposedly on the same team.
2. Then you use the same term to describe what “Giuliani and [Palin] have done to their opponents.

You’re obviously not a registered Republican and you have no intention of voting for one.

?

You know, you dont have to be registered a republican, to vote republican right.
And its not about team my friend, its about country. You don't hear anyone saying "god bless republicans" no its god bless America. So forget the team ideology.

Secondly he is right. Democrats do play fair and that is part of the reason voters see weakness in that. I think its the right thing to do. Why continue the tradition of smear campaigns? When will we rise above that? Does a candidate seriously have to verbally destroy the opponent with offensive and condescending speech to win an election? Are voters really that stupid, to the point where they choose the one with the portrayed biggest balls rather than biggest brain?

Its getting really old, really fast. I loved how clinton put it. We have failed in iraq and the rest of the world by demonstrating the example of our power, rather than the power of our example. Very well said and he hit it right on the nose.

And really, why do polls keep showing numbers jumping back and forth after a comercial, or a single speech. What the hell kind of medication is everyone on to let a single rhetorical commercial or speech change your mind on who you will vote for? Jesus christ wait for a freakin debate not a freaking paris hilton commercial to decide the next effing president.

Glenzilla has a great article about this:

"Ever since Ronald Reagan's election, this is what the Republicans do every four years. They render issues irrelevant and convert campaigns into cultural wars and personality referenda. They converted our elections into tawdry reality shows long before networks realized their entertainment value. And every four years, Democrats seems shocked and paralyzed by all of this and desperately delude themselves into believing that mean-spirited "negativity" and nastiness will alienate voters, while the media swoons at the potency of these attacks. "

Read the whole thing:

The GOP's cheerful viciousness - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Look smart guy,

If you cant figure out what I meant by saying "throwing under the bus" then I feel bad for you. I'm sorry, where I come from when someone makes a verbal jab at you or disrespects you then we use this term. If its not correct according to your dictionary then let me spell it out for you. The republicans were flat out throwing verbal spears at Obama and Biden and I have not heard a good strong, powerful response back at them. Do you understand now? Geese! I really dont care if you believe I am a registered Republican, it means nothing to you anyway and my party affiliation will be changed to Independent when I feel like it. The point of my post is not the definition of "thrown under the bus" or if I am a registered Republican which I am, for now.

.....The republicans were flat out throwing verbal spears at Obama and Biden and I have not heard a good strong, powerful response back at them. .... I am a registered Republican.....
So Democrats have not leveled vicious attacks at McCain or Palin, so that’s why you’re voting for them. Either you're deaf and can't read, or are lying. I suspect the later.

So Democrats have not leveled vicious attacks at McCain or Palin, so that’s why you’re voting for them. Either you're deaf and can't read, or are lying. I suspect the later.

You just got it, My god you are slow, sorry, I'm done going back and forth with you, you have nothing of substance to talk about.

Intersting that you would say that Obama is incapable of actually debating the issues. Especially after that vacuous speech that you Republicans are praising Sara Palin for. Did we just revert back to High School when all we had were petty, childish put-downs? Where was an issue raised in her speech? Where was the substance? Biden, who has been on the National stage for almost her entire life will mop the floor with her in a debate on the issues.

As far as why the Dems don't play hardball the way the Republicans do, maybe it's because they have too much dignity to crawl into the gutter with right-wingers. This should be about the issues, not about personal attacks. If the Republicans have a strong platform and a solid argument on the issues, let's keep the debate on an adult level. Clearly this is not the case, though.

I heard plenty of lefties praising it too, right afterwards. They were so scared they were shitting themselves on national television.

Obama has been asked repeatedly to meet with McCain to discuss issues across the nation. He flat refuses to do it. He was embarassed when he debated him, and he hasn't done it since.

You're right. I suggest you take your "anti-personal-attack" crap and grab all the lefties on this board who are posting garbage about the families of McCain and Palin, as opposed to actually discussing issues. Then come back here and act smug. I suggest you recall that every idiotic personal claim that has been made about Robot Obama has come DIRECTLY FROM THE LEFT during the primaries. Every single one of them...that he isn't black enough, that he's a Muslim, that he's got terrorist ties, that his wife is a bitch, that he wasn't born in the US, and so on and so forth. Those are your own party's crap coming back to settle in the top of your bowl. It's priceless.

I agree with you but talking with folks who are much older than me they explain that this is what the republicans do every election and it works. I think its time we take off the gloves because when we back down from these attacks the Repub's will spin it as we are wimps and will ask the public "do you want wimps running the country". In layman"s terms.

I don't think it's that they are afraid to look nasty at all...I think they recognize that the American people are SICK of the bullshit politics of the past.

Most Americans want a candidate who is going to focus on the issues and not get muddled down with personal attacks and snipping back and forth. That is what the Republicans want them to do because then their message gets drowned out.

The Republicans have nothing new to offer so they attack attack attack. The Republicans have gotten us into the situation we're in now so they attack attack attack.

We can only hope that in the end people will see the truth for what it is and Obama and Biden will be sworn in as our next President and Vice President.

IF McCain/Palin wins then I guess people get what they deserve. More of the same.

I don't necessarily want the Obama campaign to sink to that level and I don't think they need to. There are plenty of factual arguments to be made against both McCain and Palin and I think they are making them.

Can you provide any example of a viscious attack from the Obama Camp aimed and McCain/Palin? I doubt it but if you can, my hat's off to you. Republicans play dirty. Face it.

Forum List

Back