What is going on with phantom deletions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Wasn't going to even bring this up as not worth the trouble but... overnight I got two (anonymous) notices of deleted posts. Since they're anonymous there's no message quoting the post, and since they're deleted there's no post to link to, so there's no indication what the posts were. So curious, I inspected the thread to see if I could remember any post that is no longer there, couldn't find a one. Even among the most spirited ones. Checked other posters quoting me as those quotes usually survive, and there are no quotes that don't still jump to a still-existing post.

Even checked my own "content" list, which AFAIK keeps all posts listed even if they go to an error message after deletion --- and all of them are still there too.

So I got two notices of deletions with no apparent deletions at all. Of course the reason for looking up what they were was to establish where the line is. I can understand the rationale for anonymous deletions but with no content cited there's no way to know what guideline was crossed.

Then a few minutes ago it happened again, in a different thread, one I had only two posts in. And again, both of the posts are still there where they were --- nothing deleted.

Why am I getting notices of deletions with nothing deleted? This is a head scratcher. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this. :dunno:

Last edited:
Actually..... here's a theory that might explain it.

Yesterday some sock (I believe) joined naming himself after me: "POGO2". Clearly came in already familiar with my content, and began trolling --- who else.

Could these deletion notices have been intended for that sock?

Well, I just looked at Pogo2, and if he trolled you, those posts were deleted, so your theory could be right.

I will NOT be giving that individual a donut if he/she plans on trolling you. The very idea!

Well, I just looked at Pogo2, and if he trolled you, those posts were deleted, so your theory could be right.

I will NOT be giving that individual a donut if he/she plans on trolling you. The very idea!

As long as I get exclusive access to the Hammentaschen I don't care who gets donuts. :)

Wasn't going to even bring this up as not worth the trouble but... overnight I got two (anonymous) notices of deleted posts. Since they're anonymous there's no message quoting the post, and since they're deleted there's no post to link to, so there's no indication what the posts were. So curious, I inspected the thread to see if I could remember any post that is no longer there, couldn't find a one. Even among the most spirited ones. Checked other posters quoting me as those quotes usually survive, and there are no quotes that don't still jump to a still-existing post.

Even checked my own "content" list, which AFAIK keeps all posts listed even if they go to an error message after deletion --- and all of them are still there too.

So I got two notices of deletions with no apparent deletions at all. Of course the reason for looking up what they were was to establish where the line is. I can understand the rationale for anonymous deletions but with no content cited there's no way to know what guideline was crossed.

Then a few minutes ago it happened again, in a different thread, one I had only two posts in. And again, both of the posts are still there where they were --- nothing deleted.

Why am I getting notices of deletions with nothing deleted? This is a head scratcher. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this. :dunno:

It is Godzilla ogo, it is Happening :omg:

upload_2018-9-19_19-33-52.png

Yanno what --- you gave me an idea. It didn't occur to me to not just check my own postings but to check this POGO2's postings, and sure enough the new sock has had content deleted in the thread I got notices for. Of course there's no way for me to know if SOCKO2 got notices, but I did.

:eusa_think:

It is Godzilla ogo, it is Happening :omg:

View attachment 217343

Considering how many things I've posted, Zilla's gonna be busy for a while :smoke:

I guess not only have I been falsely accused but I've also saved New York City.

Sorry about the latter............

In any event if the site charges some kind of "points" for such infractions, flacaltenn --- I'd prefer not to be charged with somebody else's points if that's indeed what's going on.

Wasn't going to even bring this up as not worth the trouble but... overnight I got two (anonymous) notices of deleted posts. Since they're anonymous there's no message quoting the post, and since they're deleted there's no post to link to, so there's no indication what the posts were.

Content of the deleted posts have never been included. Only the thread title. Any mod will gladly look up the deletions if they were not part of a 20+ post cleanup..

The alerts are simply "pre-warnings" that you are approaching some line in the rules or that you have crossed a line. Take them as advice to be extra careful in that thread or the near future.

Yesterday some sock (I believe) joined naming himself after me: "POGO2". Clearly came in already familiar with my content, and began trolling --- who else.

No. But if the deletions were in that thread from yesterday, there were too many posters getting personal with the new member.

Wasn't going to even bring this up as not worth the trouble but... overnight I got two (anonymous) notices of deleted posts. Since they're anonymous there's no message quoting the post, and since they're deleted there's no post to link to, so there's no indication what the posts were.

Content of the deleted posts have never been included. Only the thread title. Any mod will gladly look up the deletions if they were not part of a 20+ post cleanup..

The alerts are simply "pre-warnings" that you are approaching some line in the rules or that you have crossed a line. Take them as advice to be extra careful in that thread or the near future.

No. But if the deletions were in that thread from yesterday, there were too many posters getting personal with the new member.

The weird thing here is, as I just explained above, none of my posts actually WERE deleted. I got notices for deletions which did not happen. And they clearly say "your post was deleted".

Then I looked into the sock-troll's posting history and found some of his material was deleted. Hence my theory that "Pogo" received notices intended for "POGO2".

The weird thing here is, as I just explained above, none of my posts actually WERE deleted. I got notices for deletions which did not happen. And they clearly say "your post was deleted".

OK -- now I'm always interested in the weird and paranormal. :113: give me the thread link in this post or in PM and I'll see where the deleted posts went. The system should KNOW when posts are actually deleted. But there's the remote possibility that the mod reversed the decision..

Then I looked into the sock-troll's posting history and found some of his material was deleted. Hence my theory that "Pogo" received notices intended for "POGO2".
For awhile, I would see an "Ignored member" on the active threads list, as having just replied to a thread, and I had no one on ignore. I tried rushing into the thread to see who had just posted, and there was never a notice saying "See ignored content" or any ignored member. So I guessed there was a speck of dust on the server somewhere.

OK -- now I'm always interested in the weird and paranormal. :113: give me the thread link in this post or in PM and I'll see where the deleted posts went. The system should KNOW when posts are actually deleted. But there's the remote possibility that the mod reversed the decision..
The aliens had to move from Sunspot because they reopened the observatory. So they have come here.

For awhile, I would see an "Ignored member" on the active threads list, as having just replied to a thread, and I had no one on ignore. I tried rushing into the thread to see who had just posted, and there was never a notice saying "See ignored content" or any ignored member. So I guessed there was a speck of dust on the server somewhere.

You're not the 1st member I've heard that ghost story from before. But it's too hard to re-create with the Mod sock. You have a Ghost Hunter treasure --- sell tickets.

Obviously I can't link to a post of mine that was called deleted since they're all intact. Here's somebody else's post in the same thread quoting the rookie Sock which, as you'll see, quotes a post that no longer exists, ergo deleted. That will take you to the thread that was messaged to me as "post deleted" (twice, timed 11:27pm yesterday) where none of my posts are missing.

USMB should start a GoFundMe for

iu

Obviously I can't link to a post of mine that was called deleted since they're all intact. Here's somebody else's post in the same thread quoting the rookie Sock which, as you'll see, quotes a post that no longer exists, ergo deleted. That will take you to the thread that was messaged to me as "post deleted" (twice, timed 11:27pm yesterday) where none of my posts are missing.

There are indeed 2 deleted posts for the one and the only ORIGINAL Pogo !!! You got caught up in "welcoming" your clone2 a bit too much. PM me -- I'll give you the content..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back