What is God?

Here's my understanding of Madeline's view of God. He is not a person, and doesn't look like a man. He is genderless. He is eternal, omnipresent being. He is not a creator or a savior and in no way intervenes in our lives.

Madeline's view as a deist is the closest view to Buddhism I've encountered in a non-buddhist.

Nothing in Madeline's post in any way refers to God as an alien. Why is it so hard to comprehend that others see God different from you? There is no one right way to view God. If there were, there would be only one religion.

Sorry, when someone refers to an all-powerful, non-humanoid being I just assume "alien". People prefer aliens to a *humanoid* I guess.

lg04alien02017.jpg

And I don't have trouble accepting that people view God differently. I understand that they do. My question is ... why would you rather put your faith in a completely subjective fantasy, rather than explore the perfect God we already know about?

It's arrogant.

First, I think the alien in the pic would be considered humanoid. It is basically shaped like a human.

Second, saying that you know about the perfect god and someone else's view of god is just subjective fantasy is arrogant.

Yeah, it's LESS arrogant to tell an entire population of believers that they have it wrong, that they are arrogant to believe as they do, and that you know this because????

Lol...because you're arrogant, of course. Will you still think I was arrogant when you find out there is only one God, and you ignored him?

Never said I don't doubt it.

I'm Catholic, never had a problem of reconciling or leaving. nor did anyone in my family.

Maybe it was where you grew up or the time, either way I'm not a devout Catholic, I prefer to call my self a Independent Catholic.

Yes, it was about my family and about the times I lived in. It's extremely personal. There's a reason people don't discuss religion or politics.

Last edited:
Not the cathechism answer, I can recite that one myself. But really. Most of the time we talk about God but do we actually even agree on the meaning?

Is God a superego, supercreator of the universe, personality, gender, father, mother, son or some kind of non-conceptual awareness?

Is God awareness itself? Being itself? As a Buddhist, who does not believe in a creator, savior God, I tend to feel that what people refer to as God is non-conceptual being, awareness, suchness itself.

Your thoughts?

It's Dog backwards...

There used to be this Game called "Rise of the Triad" and it had Dog Mode and God Mode... :lol:

:)

peace...

Never said I don't doubt it.

I'm Catholic, never had a problem of reconciling or leaving. nor did anyone in my family.

Maybe it was where you grew up or the time, either way I'm not a devout Catholic, I prefer to call my self a Independent Catholic.

Yes, it was about my family and about the times I lived in. It's extremely personal. There's a reason people don't discuss religion or politics.

I respect that. I'm not asking you to come out on that subject.

Yeah, it's LESS arrogant to tell an entire population of believers that they have it wrong, that they are arrogant to believe as they do, and that you know this because????

Lol...because you're arrogant, of course. Will you still think I was arrogant when you find out there is only one God, and you ignored him?

I didn't realize we were discussing levels of arrogance.

I was under the impression that most believers are telling entire populations of people who believe something else that they have it wrong.

I didn't say anyone else was not being arrogant in what they said, only that you were by so easily dismissing another's beliefs as subjective fantasy while implying your beliefs are an objective truth. Are your beliefs not subjective? You talk about the perfect god we already know about....I'm not part of that we, I feel pretty confident that there are billions of people on this planet who do not feel they are part of that we. Sounds pretty subjective to me. As does all religious belief.

And yes, even should you turn out to be correct in your belief, I still think you are being arrogant.

Forum List

Back