What is God?

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Not the cathechism answer, I can recite that one myself. But really. Most of the time we talk about God but do we actually even agree on the meaning?

Is God a superego, supercreator of the universe, personality, gender, father, mother, son or some kind of non-conceptual awareness?

Is God awareness itself? Being itself? As a Buddhist, who does not believe in a creator, savior God, I tend to feel that what people refer to as God is non-conceptual being, awareness, suchness itself.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't believe in any god, but I do want to hear what various believers might have to say on the subject.

Of course, defining a being which is generally described as outside true human comprehension poses challenges :) Putting something that isn't bound by our physical world, or that is eternal, omnipresent, etc. into human terms with any accuracy may be impossible.

That said, how people of different faiths view their god(s), even how people of the same faith might have different views, sounds like an interesting discussion. I hope some are willing to try.

My own POV is that God is not humanoid in any way. He is a separate consciousness from ours, and the Ultimate Good.

I dun care whether he created the Universe; it'd be fine by me if it turns out that was an entirely natural process.

I dun think he alters events if we pray or "hears every sparrow drop"; seeking God improves a person, and thus, even if God needed a "job", he has one.

He is eternal and omnipresent.

• Banned
Thanks Maddie

I tend to think of God more like the description in Buddhism of the natural state:

"Indescribable, inconceivable and inexpressible, the Perfection of Sublime Knowing is unborn and unceasing, the very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness. I pray homage to the Mother of the Buddhas of the three times."

Prajnaparamita

I don't think of God as a creator or savior or forgiver of sins. I think what some refer to as God is consciousness beyond duality.

Last edited:
How does God create? Is it some kind of super magic? Is God shaped like a man?

He created everything, then set it in motion. Everything you see, and everything you cannot see, they were all created by God.

He doesn't have a body. He doesn't need one.

In short, the man in the sky is nothing but a coping mechanism designed to dispel fear and anxiety.

I know who I think God is.

I have to wonder why someone who repeatedly says she doesn't believe in God feels compelled to continually post about God and challenge those who believe.

I wasn't aware that challenging Christianity was a Buddhist trait.

I have to wonder why someone who repeatedly says she doesn't believe in God feels compelled to continually post about God and challenge those who believe.

I've been wondering the same thing.

And I think I know the answer :)

I think of God as a commodity, a product sold by authoritarian governments and religions seeking power and control of the masses, for the good of the government or religious order.
If a God exists and is the creator and the ultimate source of good as posited by some above, or does not exist, how should that effect my behavior? It should not.

I think of God as a commodity, a product sold by authoritarian governments and religions seeking power and control of the masses, for the good of the government or religious order.
If a God exists and is the creator and the ultimate source of good as posited by some above, or does not exist, how should that effect my behavior? It should not.

That's between you and God. Its none of my business. If it works for you, and God is ok with it, rock on.

The man in the sky myth makes a lot of money for organized religions so they work hard to make sure people believe in him.

My own POV is that God is not humanoid in any way. He is a separate consciousness from ours, and the Ultimate Good.

I dun care whether he created the Universe; it'd be fine by me if it turns out that was an entirely natural process.

I dun think he alters events if we pray or "hears every sparrow drop"; seeking God improves a person, and thus, even if God needed a "job", he has one.

So...

to you god is just a pretend being.

Possibly an alien?

What do you base your supposition that he's not humanoid? (humanoid? Really did you say that? Lol)

The man in the sky myth makes a lot of money for organized religions so they work hard to make sure people believe in him.

Another logical fallacy.

Another logical fallacy.

but truth nonetheless.

Er..no. It's a fallacy. Fallacy is not equal to truth. And your comment about the fallacy being truth is also a logical fallacy.

Last edited:

I've been wondering the same thing.

And I think I know the answer :)

I posted my story of how I came to Buddhism. Included in that was an illustration from my own life of why my Catholic upbringing was no comfort to me when the chips were down.

I think it's natural that I challenge Christianity. In my own life, it was woefully inadequate to help me.
My understanding of what may have been referred to as 'God' has changed and grown with my Buddhist training. I still think there is a place to find common ground.

Perhaps, this will help you put my posts in context.

Last edited:

So...

to you god is just a pretend being.

Possibly an alien?

What do you base your supposition that he's not humanoid? (humanoid? Really did you say that? Lol)

Here's my understanding of Madeline's view of God. He is not a person, and doesn't look like a man. He is genderless. He is eternal, omnipresent being. He is not a creator or a savior and in no way intervenes in our lives.

Madeline's view as a deist is the closest view to Buddhism I've encountered in a non-buddhist.

Nothing in Madeline's post in any way refers to God as an alien. Why is it so hard to comprehend that others see God different from you? There is no one right way to view God. If there were, there would be only one religion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back