What Is Family Homelessness?

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
What Is Family Homelessness?
(The Problem)

Every year, hundreds of thousands of American families become homeless, including more than 1.5 million children. These children are hidden from our view, but they are living in shelters, cars, and campgrounds. They are young and scared, and their parents and families are frustrated and desperate.

Family homelessness is caused by the combined effects of lack of affordable housing, extreme poverty, decreasing government supports, changing demographics of the family, the challenges of raising children alone, domestic violence, and fractured social supports. As the gap between housing costs and income continues to widen and housing foreclosures increase, more and more families are at risk of homelessness. For extremely poor families and those with vulnerabilities or little safety net, even a seemingly minor event can trigger a catastrophic outcome and catapult a family onto the streets
http://www.familyhomelessness.org/facts.php?p=tm

Main cause not mentioned is JOBS. millions of families are homeless and they would do any kind of work to get their families out of the streets and into homes. But millions of ilegal aliens are taking those "any kind of jobs" and it need to stop because we need to take care of our own before we can even began to think about taking care of other countires citizens. But Obama will not stop it and it continues. I doubt that any of our leaders are willing to do any thing about illegal immigration that has long tern benefits. Those million of jobs taken by illegal aliens should be released for unemployed and homeless Americans that "only want to take care of their families.'

Ya shoulda watched 60 Minutes tonight...

... they had an update on a story they did earlier in the year...

... was about the homeless families in Florida...

... and how so many are moving to Florida...

... that now 25% of the nation's homeless are living there.

Hard Times Generation: Families living in cars
July 29, 2012 - The following is a script of "Hard Times Generation" which originally aired on Nov. 27, 2011 and was rebroadcast on July 29, 2012. Scott Pelley is the correspondent. Bob Anderson and Nicole Young, producers.
Never has unemployment been so high for so long. And as a result, more than 16 million kids are living in poverty -- that's the most since 1962. It's worst where the construction industry collapsed. And one of those places is central Florida. We went there 16 months ago to meet families who'd become homeless for the first time in their lives. So many were living day-to-day that school buses had to change their routes to pick up all the kids living in cheap motels. We called the story "Hard Times Generation."

Then eight months ago, we went back to see how things had changed. We found that some families are losing their grip on the motels and discovering that the homeless shelters are full. Where do they go then? Well, they keep up appearances by day and try to stay out of sight at night -- holding on to one another in a hidden America, a place you wouldn't notice unless you ran into the people that we met in the moments before dawn.

Time, has carried us into uncharted territory. The Great Recession began December 2007 -- 1,700 mornings ago. If you were rushing to work this morning, in Seminole County, Florida, it's not likely you'd notice the truck or hear the children getting ready for school.

MORE

Every family's story is undoubtedly unique, and undoubtedly there are a large number of families who have played by the rules (so to speak), tried to do their best, and yet find themselves in a situation where they can no longer afford even the most humble habitation available in the area where they are accustomed to living. (I dare say, in most cases one could point to one or more very bad life-choices or personal failures that can explain the acute problem, but no doubt there are many cases where no one is at fault).

Governments at the national, state, county, and local level ALL have programs aimed at supporting such folks, but let us acknowledge that even with all of this potential support, there are still some families who fall between the figurative cracks. One would hope that there are places where one could turn to find someone familiar with all of the available "support systems," to ensure that any family in acute distress is at least accessing everything that is legally available. But where to turn initially? I have no idea. A church?

But the underlying question that we do not seem to answer has to do with the Fundamental Role of Government.

In most western nations, the Government has made an overt policy decision to establish - in effect - a guaranteed minimum standard of living for all, regardless of anything. It includes cradle to grave healthcare, publicly-funded housing, free government education, and a monthly stipend for food, clothing, and sundries. In England, for example, we have entire families, adults and children, none of whom have ever worked or honestly sought work in their lives, and yet they have the necessary food, shelter, healthcare, and so forth, to lead a decent existence, and they know that they will continue to have such as long as they live. As another example, in Germany, unemployment compensation is close to what the person was making when employed, and is pretty much open-ended.

In the U.S., we have an anlogous population of what are commonly referred to as "Welfare Queens," who manage a similar existence, albeit with some resentment from the general population. For intact families (as we see on this thread) this sort of existence on the "Government's teat" is somewhat problematic. Because we have NOT, in the U.S. made such an unconditional, unqualified commitment to our population.

And since we haven't made that commitment (and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future) we fret about the existence of such unfortunates in our midst, and imply that SOME arm of SOME government ought to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Which is the thrust of this thread, as well as the "60 Minutes" segment, is it not?

Dare I mention the fact that the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the Congress from making such a commitment to the citizens and legal residents of the U.S.

In this country (and in this world) we have the resources to provide EVERYTHING to everyone who needs it. Literally. We have the food production capacity literally to feed the world. We have the population and the natural resources and the available space to build a 2-story, 2,000 square foot house for every "family" in the country, if only the money were available to pay for it. But we have the resources and even the manpower to do it - no question about it.

Our policy decision, like it or not, is to have each person fundamentally responsible for his own wellbeing. Failing that, the person can turn to his family. Failing that, the person can turn to his own circle of friends, neighbors, and acquaintances. Failing that, he can turn to churches and private charities.

And if ALL OF THOSE RESOURCES FAIL HIM, then he can turn to at least four levels of government (City, County, State, Federal), ALL of whom have created a patchwork of support. And if that's not enough...fuck 'em.

All I can say for certain is that if any relative or friend of mine were ever threatened with homelessness, I would offer my home to prevent it from actually happening. I have done so.

I grew up homeless. Back when there was no welfare, government housing, or even medical care. Back when being homeless was really homeless.

The reasons why we were homeless is because my parents imagined themselves "bohemians" which is what hippies were before they were hippies, and before being "disadvantaged" carried a payday. They enjoyed the lifestyle. No one told them what to do. There was no clock to punch and they didn't have to take out the trash or mow a lawn. Had there been the kind of government support the "poor" have today, my Dad would never have gotten his first job. My son would be third generation welfare instead of a corporate executive. Instead of a law degree I would have increased my income with six more children.

Being poor today is a lifestyle choice. It is an easy choice to make. Do nothing and nothing is expected of you. What's sad is that there is a huge pool of potential out there that cannot be tapped because the poor would prefer not to. They are doing just fine as they are and need do nothing more. Taking care of the poor is making house pets of them. They live and die, as wards of the state, to be taken care of like an unwanted shelter dog. When there are too many poor to take care of, they will already be dehumanized enough to euthanize.

And yet obozo is handing out amnesty and work permits to millions of illegals who have invaded america!!!

Exactly what family homelessness is depends on your perspective, and there are basically two. If you are conservative, family homelessness is a condition caused by lousy, lazy parents that refuse to get their shit together. If you are a liberal, it is a condition of victimization caused by callous and racist republicans and evil corporations, who refuse to pay more and more money to give to the victims.

I
Being poor today is a lifestyle choice. It is an easy choice to make. Do nothing and nothing is expected of you. What's sad is that there is a huge pool of potential out there that cannot be tapped because the poor would prefer not to. .

Potential to do what? Unless they're trained in math or the hard sciences, they have no potential and most any job they get will be non-productive.

Exactly what family homelessness is depends on your perspective, and there are basically two. If you are conservative, family homelessness is a condition caused by lousy, lazy parents that refuse to get their shit together. If you are a liberal, it is a condition of victimization caused by callous and racist republicans and evil corporations, who refuse to pay more and more money to give to the victims.

Pretty much, that's it.

there are about 25 million families whose homes are "under water" today......future candidates for homelessness.....

there are about 25 million families whose homes are "under water" today......future candidates for homelessness.....

No they aren't future candidates for homelessness. Unless the politicians have their way. Some California cities are already experimenting with seizing the homes of people who are under water but making the mortgage payments. THOSE are the ones who will be homeless in the future once the government sells the homes and keeps the money.

And whose fault is that.? To hear you tell it, it's everybody's fault except the homebuyer.

Personal finance is simple - never buy on credit. I never have.

And whose fault is that.? To hear you tell it, it's everybody's fault except the homebuyer.

Personal finance is simple - never buy on credit. I never have.

well good for you....but most cannot do that....a typical buyer cannot buy a typical house without credit....

plenty of people bought normally.....they got normal mortgages with downpayments......yet they are underwater today because the housing markets dropped 40-50% in value....it makes it very difficult for them to sell or move....if one of them loses a job they are up the creek without a paddle....

Last edited:
It's the ones who don't want to sell or move that are in the government's sights. People like my son who is quite happily and comfortably making his mortgage payments who have the greatest danger of having their property seized by eminent domain. Right now, his city is not one of the cities proposing seizing these homes. If the plan is successful in these cities, the state wants to take it state wide.

It's quite simple. You buy a house with an affordable mortgage. During the period of time you own that property the value will rise and fall. Sometimes it won't be worth what you owe on it, which can always change. People don't benefit when the value falls any more than they have to pay more for the same house if the value rises.

It's quite simple. You buy a house with an affordable mortgage. During the period of time you own that property the value will rise and fall. Sometimes it won't be worth what you owe on it, which can always change. People don't benefit when the value falls any more than they have to pay more for the same house if the value rises.

the problem comes when one loses his or her job (most homes were priced for two income families)....jobs have been disappearing and new jobs are very hard to come by....instead of being able to sell their home for a small profit or even come out even the buyers are stuck with payments they cannot pay and a home that will not sell....

to make it worse they cannot lower their payments with a refi because the home will not appraise for original value...(although i think there are a couple programs out there that might help)

Last edited:

the problem comes when one loses his or her job (most homes were priced for two income families)....jobs have been disappearing and new jobs are very hard to come by....instead of being able to sell their home for a small profit or even come out even the buyers are stuck with payments they cannot pay and a home that will not sell....

to make it worse they cannot lower their payments with a refi because the home will not appraise for original value...(although i think there are a couple programs out there that might help)
Unless the parasites are OWS parasite-types, they have a plan to avoid homelessness in the event they cannot continue to pay their mortgage. One would think even the OWS parasites would figure out that blaming someone else for problems only you can fix is futile. Of course, the OWS parasite solution is to force others to fix their problems for them. Lefties are a scourge on the planet.

So........let's say your house is "under water." That is to say, if you sold your house at a reasonable current-market price, the net proceeds of the sale would not be enough to pay off the existing mortgage loans.

So what?

Does that absolve you of the obligation to MAKE THE PAYMENTS THAT YOU PROMISED TO MAKE WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE HOUSE?

Why?

Did your mortgage note (loan contract) have a contingency stating that if the house value ever drops YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT? What lender would give out such a loan?

The fact is that our previously booming real estate market (in many areas) resulted in house values that increased by a significant percentage every year, without fail, so that many buyers reasonably figured that they could purchase a house that seemed beyond their means. If they came into hard times five years out (they assumed) they could still sell the house for 50% more than they paid for it, pocket a nice nest-egg and walk away from it. It was all very logical and reasonable.

But it was a "reasonable" risk that they assumed. They have no "right" to be bailed out just because their assumptions proved not to be the case. "Pay the loan and shut up."

I dare say that at least half of the newer cars on the road today are "under water." If they had to be sold, the proceeds would not be enough to pay off the loan or the lease obligations.

So the "owners" should walk away from them? Stop paying?

Nice logic.

Dare I present a true anecdote?

In 1921, my paternal grandfather abandoned his wife and three sons, absquatulated, and was never heard from again. The sons were 12, 10, and 7 (my father).

My grandmother had never worked outside the home, and her only marketable skill was as a household cook. Pittsburgh was rife with wealthy families at that time, and she soon found work as a cook for one of the rich families on Millionaire's Row on Fifth Avenue in Pittsburgh.

But of course, that entitled her to a sleeping room only, and no accommodations for kids.

So she took the three boys to the local Catholic orphanage, "St Joseph's Protectory," and asked that they be warehoused there until such time as she could create a home for them. That was OK, except that the minimum age at the "Pro" was 10 (the boys had to work in the print shop to support themselves), which meant that they couldn't take the youngest. "Sorry."

She told them that she had no other options - no relatives who could take him in, or anything else, and if they couldn't take the boy she would take him down to the river and drown him. So they took him in, and for three years my father was the youngest boy in the Protectory. He became quite a good pool shot and ping-pong player - skills with which he amazed us many years later.

In 1929, when my father was 15, she pulled him out of the Protectory so he could work at a butcher's market and help support the family. He had enrolled at Central Catholic High School by that time, but had to drop out to work. Would have been in the first graduating class of that fine institution. (I graduated in 1967).

Family homelessness. Good thing this didn't happen during the Depression. Would have been tough, I suppose.

Forum List

Back