What Is Family Homelessness?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LilOlLady, Jul 29, 2012.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    What Is Family Homelessness?
    (The Problem)

Every year, hundreds of thousands of American families become homeless, including more than 1.5 million children. These children are hidden from our view, but they are living in shelters, cars, and campgrounds. They are young and scared, and their parents and families are frustrated and desperate.

Family homelessness is caused by the combined effects of lack of affordable housing, extreme poverty, decreasing government supports, changing demographics of the family, the challenges of raising children alone, domestic violence, and fractured social supports. As the gap between housing costs and income continues to widen and housing foreclosures increase, more and more families are at risk of homelessness. For extremely poor families and those with vulnerabilities or little safety net, even a seemingly minor event can trigger a catastrophic outcome and catapult a family onto the streets
    http://www.familyhomelessness.org/facts.php?p=tm

Main cause not mentioned is JOBS. millions of families are homeless and they would do any kind of work to get their families out of the streets and into homes. But millions of ilegal aliens are taking those "any kind of jobs" and it need to stop because we need to take care of our own before we can even began to think about taking care of other countires citizens. But Obama will not stop it and it continues. I doubt that any of our leaders are willing to do any thing about illegal immigration that has long tern benefits. Those million of jobs taken by illegal aliens should be released for unemployed and homeless Americans that "only want to take care of their families.'

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,859
    Ya shoulda watched 60 Minutes tonight...

... they had an update on a story they did earlier in the year...

... was about the homeless families in Florida...

... and how so many are moving to Florida...

... that now 25% of the nation's homeless are living there.

Hard Times Generation: Families living in cars
    July 29, 2012 - The following is a script of "Hard Times Generation" which originally aired on Nov. 27, 2011 and was rebroadcast on July 29, 2012. Scott Pelley is the correspondent. Bob Anderson and Nicole Young, producers.

3. Goodoledays

Goodoledays VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    :eusa_drool:What is Family Homelessness? PAYING POLITITIONS TO MUCH!

4. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,244
    Every family's story is undoubtedly unique, and undoubtedly there are a large number of families who have played by the rules (so to speak), tried to do their best, and yet find themselves in a situation where they can no longer afford even the most humble habitation available in the area where they are accustomed to living. (I dare say, in most cases one could point to one or more very bad life-choices or personal failures that can explain the acute problem, but no doubt there are many cases where no one is at fault).

Governments at the national, state, county, and local level ALL have programs aimed at supporting such folks, but let us acknowledge that even with all of this potential support, there are still some families who fall between the figurative cracks. One would hope that there are places where one could turn to find someone familiar with all of the available "support systems," to ensure that any family in acute distress is at least accessing everything that is legally available. But where to turn initially? I have no idea. A church?

But the underlying question that we do not seem to answer has to do with the Fundamental Role of Government.

In most western nations, the Government has made an overt policy decision to establish - in effect - a guaranteed minimum standard of living for all, regardless of anything. It includes cradle to grave healthcare, publicly-funded housing, free government education, and a monthly stipend for food, clothing, and sundries. In England, for example, we have entire families, adults and children, none of whom have ever worked or honestly sought work in their lives, and yet they have the necessary food, shelter, healthcare, and so forth, to lead a decent existence, and they know that they will continue to have such as long as they live. As another example, in Germany, unemployment compensation is close to what the person was making when employed, and is pretty much open-ended.

In the U.S., we have an anlogous population of what are commonly referred to as "Welfare Queens," who manage a similar existence, albeit with some resentment from the general population. For intact families (as we see on this thread) this sort of existence on the "Government's teat" is somewhat problematic. Because we have NOT, in the U.S. made such an unconditional, unqualified commitment to our population.

And since we haven't made that commitment (and are unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future) we fret about the existence of such unfortunates in our midst, and imply that SOME arm of SOME government ought to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Which is the thrust of this thread, as well as the "60 Minutes" segment, is it not?

Dare I mention the fact that the Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the Congress from making such a commitment to the citizens and legal residents of the U.S.

In this country (and in this world) we have the resources to provide EVERYTHING to everyone who needs it. Literally. We have the food production capacity literally to feed the world. We have the population and the natural resources and the available space to build a 2-story, 2,000 square foot house for every "family" in the country, if only the money were available to pay for it. But we have the resources and even the manpower to do it - no question about it.

Our policy decision, like it or not, is to have each person fundamentally responsible for his own wellbeing. Failing that, the person can turn to his family. Failing that, the person can turn to his own circle of friends, neighbors, and acquaintances. Failing that, he can turn to churches and private charities.

And if ALL OF THOSE RESOURCES FAIL HIM, then he can turn to at least four levels of government (City, County, State, Federal), ALL of whom have created a patchwork of support. And if that's not enough...fuck 'em.

All I can say for certain is that if any relative or friend of mine were ever threatened with homelessness, I would offer my home to prevent it from actually happening. I have done so.

5. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    I grew up homeless. Back when there was no welfare, government housing, or even medical care. Back when being homeless was really homeless.

The reasons why we were homeless is because my parents imagined themselves "bohemians" which is what hippies were before they were hippies, and before being "disadvantaged" carried a payday. They enjoyed the lifestyle. No one told them what to do. There was no clock to punch and they didn't have to take out the trash or mow a lawn. Had there been the kind of government support the "poor" have today, my Dad would never have gotten his first job. My son would be third generation welfare instead of a corporate executive. Instead of a law degree I would have increased my income with six more children.

Being poor today is a lifestyle choice. It is an easy choice to make. Do nothing and nothing is expected of you. What's sad is that there is a huge pool of potential out there that cannot be tapped because the poor would prefer not to. They are doing just fine as they are and need do nothing more. Taking care of the poor is making house pets of them. They live and die, as wards of the state, to be taken care of like an unwanted shelter dog. When there are too many poor to take care of, they will already be dehumanized enough to euthanize.

6. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,131
    And yet obozo is handing out amnesty and work permits to millions of illegals who have invaded america!!!

7. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Exactly what family homelessness is depends on your perspective, and there are basically two. If you are conservative, family homelessness is a condition caused by lousy, lazy parents that refuse to get their shit together. If you are a liberal, it is a condition of victimization caused by callous and racist republicans and evil corporations, who refuse to pay more and more money to give to the victims.

8. ShootSpeeders

ShootSpeeders Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,131
    Potential to do what? Unless they're trained in math or the hard sciences, they have no potential and most any job they get will be non-productive.

9. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    Pretty much, that's it.

10. SayMyName

SayMyName Live, Love, Laugh.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158
    What is family homelessness? When you are living in your car.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012