What Is "Fair Share of Taxes"?

Freedomlover

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2008
]Obama keeps pushing his "fair share" of taxes in his speeches. What is fair? Fair is a relative term which means different things to different people. There is no set rule for what one thinks is fair. Is it fair that over forty percent of potential taxpayers pay absolutley no taxes at all? They probably think that is fair. But, do people who pay all the taxes think that is fair? Probably not! Is it fair that people who make more the a million dollars a year pay the largest portion of the federal income taxes? You probably think it is fair but they think they are already paying more than their fair share. So, you can see this is a fruitless debate. It all comes down to there is no way for the government to raise people in lower income brackets to higher ones. Each individual can only do that themselves. Since government can not raise these people to higher levels, in their misguided thinking the only thing they can do is knock the higher income people down as far as they can through tax rates. That at best is un-American and at worst tyrannical government.

You conservatives aren't going to LIKE this very much.

I. The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state.

Adam Smith
Wealth of Nations.

Let me know when you have a more definitive source than the father of modern economics.

All should pay some. We all enjoy the benefits of our country. Nobody should get a free ride. Nearly 50% of Americans pay no taxes and these same people are the same people that receive the most support form the government. It should be "all pay some and not some pay all"

]Obama keeps pushing his "fair share" of taxes in his speeches. What is fair? Fair is a relative term which means different things to different people. There is no set rule for what one thinks is fair. Is it fair that over forty percent of potential taxpayers pay absolutley no taxes at all? They probably think that is fair. But, do people who pay all the taxes think that is fair? Probably not! Is it fair that people who make more the a million dollars a year pay the largest portion of the federal income taxes? You probably think it is fair but they think they are already paying more than their fair share. So, you can see this is a fruitless debate. It all comes down to there is no way for the government to raise people in lower income brackets to higher ones. Each individual can only do that themselves. Since government can not raise these people to higher levels, in their misguided thinking the only thing they can do is knock the higher income people down as far as they can through tax rates. That at best is un-American and at worst tyrannical government.

Do you mean income tax? Payroll tax? FICA tax? Sales tax?

Every millionares pay the same rate on the same amount of income as the poor folks. Time to treat long term capital gains as income. Recend the Bush tax cuts for all. Pass a balanced budget amendment with a plan to pay off the debt. Then we can talk about lowering taxes for everybody.

Flat tax.... i don't care if you are rich or poor. Everyone should pay the same.

Whatever the tax rates were before Bush got into office. Roll everything he did back. Didn't work. What is fair share? What works. What worked before. Hit the reset button baby!

I'll tell you what's not fair. Romney paying 12% and us paying 35% is not fair.

Flat tax.... i don't care if you are rich or poor. Everyone should pay the same.

I agree - 100%

I don't. The rich should pay a little more to take care of the poor. But what do I know? I'm just a godless liberal.

And this is the way it has always been. Why change now? Rich people decided this a long time ago. When did you guys turn greedy? Ayn Rand I believe.

Last edited:
If it's fair to tax everyone the same percent, then the government should spend the same percent on everyone.

Forum List

Back