What is fair pay/benefits for a government employee?

To all the far right, govt-employee haters out there....or anyone who wants to comment...thought I'd ask this: What is fair pay/benefits for a government employee (the essential ones)??? I'll throw out some examples. You tell me what fair pay / benefits would be for each:

US soldier/marine
US sailor
US pilot
US military officer (LT)

Federal police officer
State police officer
County police officer
City police officer (city over 150K people)
City police chief
City police Sgt

City fireman
City fire chief

Local teacher
Local principle

Local Dept of Transport supervisor
Local DOT bottom line worker

City sanitation worker
City sanitation supervisor

Now. We've heard the far right preach about how the govt needs to be "cut down" to size like the "rest of us". Well, here is the chance. Tell us what each of the above is worth, and how much in taxes you're willing to pay to make it possible. Those are very basic, essential services above. Right wing TP'ers should have a clear idea of how much they should make, and how much we, the customers, should be willing to pay for that to happen. Should be fun...........

Exhibit A: Why Soviet Style Know it ALL central Planning comes with a 100% Guaranteed Fail Rate

Fair pay is commensurate with what the labor market is paying.

Do we want to attract the best and brightest to government service or just those who will accept bare bones pay? Do we want $60,000 a year government lawyers negotiating with $300,000 a year corporate lawyers? Do we want VA doctors serving our veterans to make $70,000 a year while the market pays $150,00?

Ultimately, you get what you pay for

If we are going to pay them like private companies we need to fire them when they don't do a good job.

Do we want to attract the best and brightest to government service or just those who will accept bare bones pay? Do we want $60,000 a year government lawyers negotiating with $300,000 a year corporate lawyers? Do we want VA doctors serving our veterans to make $70,000 a year while the market pays $150,00?

If we are going to pay them like private companies we need to fire them when they don't do a good job.

No problems with that

And I'd like some actual numbers, not just a Tea Party catch line like "No more than anyone who pays their salaries" blah blah blah blah.

How about they make no more than those who pay their salaries?

lol, the best and the brightest..
they should never make MORE than the private sector..they aren't that damn SPECIAL

^^^^ missed the point.

This IS the point:
images

Ill be blunt, military excluded....., state, city, federal employees should be responsible for their own retirement just like any other private citizen.

They pay for their own retirement right now. Federal Employees have been in Social Security since 1984

Ill be blunt, military excluded....., state, city, federal employees should be responsible for their own retirement just like any other private citizen.

They pay for their own retirement right now. Federal Employees have been in Social Security since 1984

Sure but they still receive the percentage of their high three after 25 years and thats independent of their 401.

Sure but they still receive the percentage of their high three after 25 years and thats independent of their 401.

They pay into that also.They get 1 percent for every year they work

There are essential employees and essential services. Everyone is willing to pay for those. Cutting govt spending means weeding out waste and duplication of services. Years ago I was worked in county govt. Approximately one week a month I worked my butt off. The other 3 weeks I twiddled my thumbs. I wasn't paid well but the benefits were excellent. Yet I still found myself bored and feeling guilty looking for things to do. That's what needs to change IMHO.

Forum List

Back