What is "debate"? An FYI

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Si modo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,539
    I would define you as a Classical Liberal aka libertarian (little 'L") unless you think the role of the federal government is to assign the 'equal' rights that we will have. If you are in that camp, then you would probably be something that doesn't really have a label.

2. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Foxfyre,
    I don't believe the federal or state governments have any power to "assign" rights - only the requirement to defend those rights with which we are born. Some of those rights are enumerated in the bill of rights but not all - that is why the 9th amendment was put in place.
    As I said - I label myself as an anti-federalist. I don't believe a central federal government can be trusted and I don't believe there should be a central government. I believe that we have the communication resources needed to govern ourselves in the fashion of a true republic. Our founding fathers did the best they could with a representative republic but time has proven that representatives look out for their own interests before the interests of the nation or it's people.

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,539
    Yes they do because over the decades we have given them more and more power to control and 'take care' of us which of necessity becomes giving them the power to assign the rights we will have. If we the people would return the Federal government to its original purpose of providing the common defense, promoting the general welfare (meaning everybody's welfare equally), and securing our God given rights and otherwise leave us alone to form the kind of society we wish to have and live our lives as we choose, the representative would again look out for the country instead of special interests.

4. PaulS1950

PaulS1950 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    You really believe that? The constitution assigns the powers of the federal government - not the people. It would take an amendment to grant more power to the federal government - they can't just take that power - that would be unconstitutional and unlawful.

5. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +318
    I have a question --- what happens to the threads that are "moved"? I participated in the "Who Are Our Enemies" thread, but I found it gone today and I couldn't find it when I searched the forum. And may I ask why they are moved or closed out, if that is what happened? I'm curious.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,539
    No, it only took Teddy Roosevelt to reinterpret the original intent of the Constitution--to see the Constitution as allowing the Federal government to do whatever the Constitution does not expressly prohibit. The Founders intended the Federal government to have only the power it is expressly given in the Constitution.

Ever since that reinterpretation, the snowball of ever increasing government power, and ever fewer rights given the people, was set in motion and has been gaining size and speed ever since. And those in government began putting less and less importance on what is best for the government and more importance on what is good for government. Now the snowball has become a behemoth flattening anything that gets in its way, and those in government exist mostly to increase their personal power, prestige, influence, and fortunes at our expense.

The only way to stop it is to take away the ability of those in government ti increase their personal power, prestige, influence, and fortunes at our expense. And if that can be done at all, I believe this is the last generation that will have any chance to do it. And it may already be too late. We may have already crushed the great nation the Founders intended us to be.

EDIT: And whoops, though we have been demonstrating how civil debate of opposing points of view can be accomplished, we should refocus on the thread topic as we have managed to completely derail the train. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,539
    Threads are apparently moved for a number of reasons. If you have your preferences set to automatically subscribe to a thread you participate in, you can find it by going to your UserCp and then the Your Subscriptions button. If it isn't there or you get an error message when you click on it, the thread has likely been deleted. Otherwise you should find it no matter where it got moved.

8. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,117

Sometimes they get "moved" into a forum which only mods can see, not us civilians.

9. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,202
    If anyone has a question about the rules they should PM a Mod/Admin of their choice. You may or may not get all the specifics of a particular action or like the answer, but you will get a response.

10. Listening

Listening Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,046
    A bump.