What is currently holding YOU back from success???

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
For you to make a living wage, or get your fair share, or get a good job, or just get whatever it is you think is fair in life, what is stopping you right now?

- Is it lack of education? Colleges are accepting people.
- Lack of a job? Dominoes is hiring. Lots of people are hiring. But it'll be crappy work. However, even at Dominoes, you can make enough to get by and even pay for community college to learn a trade you can use to work.
- Is it a criminal record? Oops. Your fault.
- Is it the refusal to take a job that you feel is below you? Drop the pride.
- Is it debt? Medical? College? Fair enough. Take two jobs. Pay it down. It's gonna suck, but it's possible. You may have to work 2 jobs, 80 hours a week. Wait tables. Bartend. Deliver papers.
- Is it simply pride? Are you too proud to take a crappy job?

I just can't understand how any American can NOT be earning at least $40,000 if they want to. It may require working two jobs, or one job and working in a bar or restaurant at night or weekends. I see the classifieds on Sundays. People are hiring. Willing to wash dishes? YOu can earn $20,000 a year doing that full time, and plenty are looking. Supplement that with a second job, like delivering pizzas at night, or bartending, or driving a cab, or ANY of the many jobs in the classifieds, and you'll probably earn between $30-40,000 before taxes. Get a roommate. Thats a 60-80K combined.

Maybe I"m just not seeing the point. Work is out there for the willing. People can get by. I know people who worked two jobs for a decade or so, in the 80's, 90's, 00's. It's been done for a long long time , until they met enough connections or got enough experience, or paid their way through tech school, to finally land that good job.

I'm just interested. WHAT is holding you or anyone you know back from earning a fair wage?

I've already succeeded. Several times.
Not sure what the holdup is for everyone else?
Lemme guess.....

Greedy corporate America

Idiots.

I'm interested in hearing what some may say.

We can bitch all day long about how we wish things were.

But fact is.....it may suck....but it's possible to succeed. May have to work 2 crappy jobs for a lot of years before a breakthrough. But seems like so many people did just that in the last 30 years, and all of a sudden, young people aren't willing to "suck it up" for a few years.

For you to make a living wage, or get your fair share, or get a good job, or just get whatever it is you think is fair in life, what is stopping you right now?

1) Why do you assume anything is?

2) None of your business.

100% agree with you!
In 1977 after a divorce I was homeless living with some friends.
Saw an ad in Dallas visited with the guy and he bought into my idea.
I quit my consulting job and started calling on banks wearing my pin stripe suit during the day.. but no salary, just gas.
So to make a living in worked the 3:00 to midnite shift at a beer gas and wine store in a very bad part of town. We kept a shotgun under the counter I got in a fight with a patron that spit on the floor after I mopped and the winos cheered!
But during the day I wore my pinstriped suit called on banks and eventually got one, then two and finally started making enough money I was able to quit my 3:00 to 12 beer gas and wine job!

Today with ideas of mine and business startup experience have a steady income for life!
Again like you suggested I worked two jobs one which paid the other that paid off!

NO compassion for the OWS crowd that want me to feed them but refuse when I offer to teach them to feed themselves!

100% agree with you!
In 1977 after a divorce I was homeless living with some friends.
Saw an ad in Dallas visited with the guy and he bought into my idea.
I quit my consulting job and started calling on banks wearing my pin stripe suit during the day.. but no salary, just gas.
So to make a living in worked the 3:00 to midnite shift at a beer gas and wine store in a very bad part of town. We kept a shotgun under the counter I got in a fight with a patron that spit on the floor after I mopped and the winos cheered!
But during the day I wore my pinstriped suit called on banks and eventually got one, then two and finally started making enough money I was able to quit my 3:00 to 12 beer gas and wine job!

Today with ideas of mine and business startup experience have a steady income for life!
Again like you suggested I worked two jobs one which paid the other that paid off!

NO compassion for the OWS crowd that want me to feed them but refuse when I offer to teach them to feed themselves!

Wow! You must have classically fucked-up!
What happened? Get caught fucking the babysitter?

You don't know the worse of it!
No question I messed up! But unlike others I am only human!

I'm interested in hearing what some may say.

We can bitch all day long about how we wish things were.

But fact is.....it may suck....but it's possible to succeed. May have to work 2 crappy jobs for a lot of years before a breakthrough. But seems like so many people did just that in the last 30 years, and all of a sudden, young people aren't willing to "suck it up" for a few years.

You nailed it.

Because according to your little darlings in OWS something IS stopping them from succeeding other than them being fucking pathetic that is.

1- I don't. But some say they are being held down. I see them on TV holding signs. So I ask....what is it? Lets get started on fixing it.

2- If they want us, the people of this society, to fix the problem, we must know what it is.

Jobs are available. Not glamorous. Not high paying. But many have worked 2 jobs for decades until they land that great job. Sacrifice. Perseverance. Humility. Eventually, good people break through with enough hard work and patience. And yes, sometimes bad shit happens, we get knocked down, and good people must climb BACK up from the bottom, again. It sucks. It's reality.

Oh, are we discussing something political? Is this a typical conservative confusion between what's right for the country and what's right for me, personally? I thought it was just a butinsky, nosy request for personal information to which none of you are entitled.

Over the past thirty years we have seen the bar of success rise higher and higher, as real wages have fallen, more and more families require two earners to maintain the living standards that used to be possible with one, college tuition has risen and non-loan financial aid has fallen, and health-care costs have soared through the roof. While it is still possible, certainly, to achieve success, it has become a lot harder than it used to be for everyone except the very wealthy.

When I, or any other progressive/liberal, points this out, you are NOT entitled to any assumptions about my/our personal circumstances. That's simply none of your business. Also, any suggestions, job offers, business offers, or other attempts to help me/us personally out of what you assume (without basis) to be my/our personal difficulty, totally miss the point.

Because it's not about me.

It's about America.

The local Target is running a huge hiring fair. They need people. So is Dominoes and Papa Johns and Little Ceasars. We just had Occupy Charleston. They said they can't find work, can't find a job. But jobs exist. Working 2 of these jobs, with roommates, and spending only on necessary items (meaning NO IPHONE!!!!!!) can result in steady employment and funds. Hell, they may even be able to buy Blue Cross personal healthcare, who is advertising a very affordable individual rate on TV this week.

Its about work ethic and priorities. Opportunity is there for those willing to work and suck it up a bit.

Oh, are we discussing something political? Is this a typical conservative confusion between what's right for the country and what's right for me, personally? I thought it was just a butinsky, nosy request for personal information to which none of you are entitled.

Over the past thirty years we have seen the bar of success rise higher and higher, as real wages have fallen, more and more families require two earners to maintain the living standards that used to be possible with one, college tuition has risen and non-loan financial aid has fallen, and health-care costs have soared through the roof. While it is still possible, certainly, to achieve success, it has become a lot harder than it used to be for everyone except the very wealthy.

When I, or any other progressive/liberal, points this out, you are NOT entitled to any assumptions about my/our personal circumstances. That's simply none of your business. Also, any suggestions, job offers, business offers, or other attempts to help me/us personally out of what you assume (without basis) to be my/our personal difficulty, totally miss the point.

It's about America.

So you are saying that the bar is too high?

whiner-dude.jpg

Who ever said success was supposed to be easy?

It's about America.

America is not Marxist. Get the fuck over it. dud.

It's about America.

So in other words....................nothing in particular. There is nothing holding any individual back.

I see people improving their place in life all the time. It's hard for everyone, and has always been hard, for decades. Nothing has changed except facebook and 24/7 media has made protesting seem a lot cooler.

- Is it lack of education? Colleges are accepting people.
- Lack of a job? Dominoes is hiring. Lots of people are hiring. But it'll be crappy work. However, even at Dominoes, you can make enough to get by and even pay for community college to learn a trade you can use to work.
- Is it a criminal record? Oops. Your fault.
- Is it the refusal to take a job that you feel is below you? Drop the pride.
- Is it debt? Medical? College? Fair enough. Take two jobs. Pay it down. It's gonna suck, but it's possible. You may have to work 2 jobs, 80 hours a week. Wait tables. Bartend. Deliver papers.
- Is it simply pride? Are you too proud to take a crappy job?

I just can't understand how any American can NOT be earning at least $40,000 if they want to. It may require working two jobs, or one job and working in a bar or restaurant at night or weekends. I see the classifieds on Sundays. People are hiring. Willing to wash dishes? YOu can earn $20,000 a year doing that full time, and plenty are looking. Supplement that with a second job, like delivering pizzas at night, or bartending, or driving a cab, or ANY of the many jobs in the classifieds, and you'll probably earn between $30-40,000 before taxes. Get a roommate. Thats a 60-80K combined.

Maybe I"m just not seeing the point. Work is out there for the willing. People can get by. I know people who worked two jobs for a decade or so, in the 80's, 90's, 00's. It's been done for a long long time , until they met enough connections or got enough experience, or paid their way through tech school, to finally land that good job.

I'm just interested. WHAT is holding you or anyone you know back from earning a fair wage?
Nothing is holding me back.....but if they cut medicare benefits too severely, it may affect my job security because I work for a medicare advantage plan carrier.

College is more expensive. Because demand skyrocketed. Supply vs demand. Same with healthcare.

Eat healthy and workout. Dont be fat. That solves so many healthcare problems.

Education? Degrees are worth so much less these days. It's often times NOT SMART to take out a 40K loan for a worthless degree. Tech or community college, while not nearly as "cool" or "fun", may often be a better choice than a 4 year liberal arts (party time) school. But people CHOOSE that route for some reason (wanna have fun, drink, etc).

I just dont see the things that are blocking success. I see hard work. Of course. But no walls.

It's about America.

So in other words....................nothing in particular. There is nothing holding any individual back.

I see people improving their place in life all the time. It's hard for everyone, and has always been hard, for decades. Nothing has changed except facebook and 24/7 media has made protesting seem a lot cooler.

If people have their health there isn't anything holding them back but their own lack of ambition and fortitude.

It's about America.

You could always move to Mexico.

Forum List

Back