What is "Clean Coal"?

Will someone explain how coal is made clean?

It is various technologies being developed or already here. Some to treat the coal to burn cleaner and more efficiently, but the most promising are systems that will trap the bad emission created when you burn it, and separate them For use, disposal or storage. So that they are not released into the air at all.

It is entirely possibly theoretically to burn coal with Near 0 Emissions. Instead collecting the bad emissions for storage or even to be put to use in some cases. One idea is to store for example the Co2 Captured under ground.

I am not sure how far along they are with all this, If you believe some of the adds on TV, very far, but it is an idea worth perusing. We have a shit ton of Coal, and if we can find a clean way to use it that would be great. IMO.

Have you ever even looked at the cost of 'clean coal'? It makes nuclear and present solar look cheap.

575 million is a bit less than 20 billion. Still, just money thrown away.

New Recovery Act Funding Boosts Industrial Carbon Capture and Storage Research and Development | MyEcoBlog

$575 Million for Projects in 15 States Will Position U.S. as Leader in Clean Coal Technologies
U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu today announced the selection of 22 projects that will accelerate carbon capture and storage research and development for industrial sources. Funded with more than $575 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, these R&D projects complement the industrial demonstration projects already being funded through the Recovery Act. Together, these projects represent an unprecedented investment in the development of clean coal technologies. This program supports the President’s goal of cost-effective deployment of carbon capture and storage within 10 years and helps to position the U.S. as a leader in the global clean energy race.

Boy, Wry dropped this fast.

:lol:

I wonder why?

Wry asked a question. Wry didn't have a hidden agenda, Wry wanted to know how clean coal technology would protect the environment, or if the term 'clean coal' was one more example of an industry using public relations to mislead the public.
Having heard Obama use the term, I wondered if the technology to use coal to produce evengy had advanced a time when coal did not harm our air and water.
I believe I've gotten the answer, from sensible posters on this thead and some reading on the WWW: Clean Coal does not exist.
And, thanks for sharing, I've now come full circle. I've heard from the sensible and now Si modo.

575 million is a bit less than 20 billion. Still, just money thrown away.

New Recovery Act Funding Boosts Industrial Carbon Capture and Storage Research and Development | MyEcoBlog

$575 Million for Projects in 15 States Will Position U.S. as Leader in Clean Coal Technologies
U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu today announced the selection of 22 projects that will accelerate carbon capture and storage research and development for industrial sources. Funded with more than $575 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, these R&D projects complement the industrial demonstration projects already being funded through the Recovery Act. Together, these projects represent an unprecedented investment in the development of clean coal technologies. This program supports the President’s goal of cost-effective deployment of carbon capture and storage within 10 years and helps to position the U.S. as a leader in the global clean energy race.
$20 billion is set aside in the Act. Only $575 million of grants have been allocated so far, as your blog states.

:rolleyes:

My point is the stuff that is efficient but dirty. Could theoretically be burned much cleaner with some of these emerging technologies.

That is not a half truth. It is a possibility. The theoretical principles behind capturing the emissions are entirely feesable. It should be pursued and not shot down by people who have no faith in our ability to do better.

One of the unfortunate side effects of the burning of coal is the release of mercury:

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, coal-fired power plants are the largest industrial source of mercury pollution in the country. But to be fair, the bulk of this mercury pollution could be eliminated with the installation of pollution-control devices.

Will someone explain how coal is made clean?

It is various technologies being developed or already here. Some to treat the coal to burn cleaner and more efficiently, but the most promising are systems that will trap the bad emission created when you burn it, and separate them For use, disposal or storage. So that they are not released into the air at all.

It is entirely possibly theoretically to burn coal with Near 0 Emissions. Instead collecting the bad emissions for storage or even to be put to use in some cases. One idea is to store for example the Co2 Captured under ground.

I am not sure how far along they are with all this, If you believe some of the adds on TV, very far, but it is an idea worth perusing. We have a shit ton of Coal, and if we can find a clean way to use it that would be great. IMO.

Have you ever even looked at the cost of 'clean coal'? It makes nuclear and present solar look cheap.

Yes it does at this time. That is why they are called emerging Technologies bub.

New Topics

Forum List

Back